Site Changes Announcement/Feedback

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jared Grubbs, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $22,182
    We will be releasing a new layout for the website soon. The blog section will become the new home page. To get to the forums you will simply need to click on the "Forums" tab in the navigation menu near the top of any page.

The forums will also be receiving an upgrade. Because of the new forum software your current password WILL NOT WORK. Everyone will need to reset their password. To do this, click on the "login or signup" button that will be in the upper right corner and select "forgot password or username" and follow the instructions. You do not need to create a new account. If there are any problems please use the "Contact Us" link for further assistance.

These changes will occur as soon as everything is completed. I hope to have this done within the next few days but I wouldn't be surprised if bugs come up that push it to next weekend. I just want to make sure everyone is aware that they will not be able to login initially whenever the new forums are launched.

2. Dogweed

Dogweed Member

Money:
    $114
    RE: Important Site Changes - Please Read!

Will there be an app for iPhones? Thanks for all that you do for this site!

3. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182

Yes! That is one of the features I am most excited about. That will not be available within the next week though. Once I get the forum released I will begin working on the app. From what I understand it should be a simple process through vbulletin and won't take very long, but the approval time for Apple has been running at about a month. So it will likely be mid-May before the iPhone app is out. Hopefully the Android version will be released a lot sooner.

4. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182

If everything is successful (fingers crossed), the new software will go into place tonight. There are going to be a lot of minor glitches/formatting errors that I won't be able to fix until I import all of the data from here. Since I want as few of posts as possible to get lost, I will close this board and make the other one live as soon as the import happens. Bottom line, things might be glitchy for a few days, so please bear with us. I encourage everyone to post any errors here that they come across.

5. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182
    I'm just bumping this up to show in the homepage as a reminder since it applies now.

6. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,866
    Thank you so much again

7. thevinrod

thevinrod Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,418
    This new site is seriously beautiful.

8. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182
    I'm glad you like it already. It's just going to get better though. I've got to focus on the technical aspects first though before I get too much into the design.

9. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,839
    Looking good.

10. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,422
    Am I the only one that liked the old design much better? This is just white space...

11. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,839
    Are mods gonna be the only ones with avatars?

12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182
    I've changed the settings so you should have permission now to use avatars. The old ones didn't transfer though so you will need to upload it again.

As for the forum look, feel free to give honest feedback. This is only a temporary design, but I will still make small changes. I'm planning on having a custom template made, but because these are extremely expensive I want to make sure Im happy with the underlying software before spending on the design. So including the time it takes to design it, it will probably be a couple of months before that is in place.

13. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,199
    It seems that the settings did not take as I have an avatar loaded up in my profile, but it's not showing up next to my posts. Maybe, it will only be new posts? We shall see here in a bit.

One suggestion, can we go ahead and kill the 2015/2016 folder? I think at this point each class should have its own folder for the sake of simplicity and then not having to move threads year to year when you eventually break them down.

I think it's a work in progress, and I like this software better than the last one. Although, it would be nice to see the Butler crests return and other little things when you do get around to upgrading to the custom template.

Great job!!

_______

Never mind, apparently "Avatar" and "Profile Picture" are two distinct things. Now I'm showing up.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  14. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182
    It looks like it worked with that post. As for the 2015/2016 sub-forum, I just don't like having only 1 player there, so that is why I combined them. A lot more 2016 names will be popping up soon (I need to get Guy a thread still), so I'll move everything then.

Also, I believe bd5 is working on some new graphics.

15. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182
    Any better?

16. @staxdog

@staxdog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $13,945
    Noticed this morning that when I click on 2013 from the main Butler Hoops page, I get 2014. From 2014, I get 2015/16. Tried a number of times so I don't think it is my PC. It works just fine when going to the "Butler Recruiting" sub-menu.

17. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182
    It looks like there is just an area around the text that is still part of the link. This overlaps in areas where links are close to each other. So even though you think you are clicking on one you are actually getting the overlap from another link. I'll try and find a fix later tonight.

18. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182
    Ok, this should be fixed now. Let me know if it isn't. Thanks for reporting it.

19. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182
    Many people requested on the old board that I somehow separate the recruiting notes thread out because they would not realize when there was a new post there. So I've tried making it a whole new category and making each year an actual forum instead of a subforum, so now it is easier to see the last post in each individual forum.

Let me know what everyone thinks. I personally like the look of the previous way better, because everything is more condensed and I don't have to scroll down on the page to see everything. So there are positives and negatives with each. I'll leave it up for a little while, and then probably change it back unless more people are posting that they prefer this style instead.

20. thevinrod

thevinrod Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,418
    The new logo looks like it says B UTLERHOOPS. It's a bit strange to read.