OT: Invasive re-direct Advertisements?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Bugs/Questions' started by I Am Butler, May 8, 2015.

1. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,211
    Anyone else have serious problems with the ads on this site redirecting to Google Play store, or Apple Store from iPhone. I use Android and don't have any issues on other sites.

This is a fairly recent development for me here. Maybe the past month or 2. I get redirected several times just browsing from thread to thread.

Any solutions? Should I just root and install AdAway? Don't like tapatalk.

Thoughts?

2. @staxdog

@staxdog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $13,945
    I use adblock and have never seen any ads.

3. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $22,182
    It's a problem with 3rd party advertising that has been going on for years now and they can't seem to find a permanent fix. Advertisers are hiding redirect codes in their ads. If you can let me know which ad is causing the problem for you I can block it and report them and the issue will go away. I'll get off tapatalk later and try to get the issue on my phone to find which advertiser it is.

4. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182
    Forgot to ask, is this with the mobile theme or the standard theme?

5. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $24,182
    I have this problem accessing the full site on my iPhone 6. But hasn't happened in about a month.

6. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182
    I'm not able to replicate this at this time. That's not to say I don't believe it is happening, because I do know it pops up for people from time to time. The companies use targeted ads, so whatever ad is causing the issue is apparently not targeted to me personally (or not as much as a higher paying ad). I'll continue to try and monitor it since apparently their is at least one active bad ad out there. Advertising makes up almost 100% of site revenue (everything outside of the occasional donation) so unfortunately removing them completely is not an option.

7. I Am Butler

Money:
    $5,211
    I access the site regularly from my Android phone but viewing in "full site" as opposed to mobile. recently about 2 out of every 5 clicks is sending me through a redirect.

And I fully understand the purpose of advertising and I don't like blocking ads for that very reason. It's helping to support a great forum here. I just have an issue with invasive ads, which I know you don't control nor do you knowingly allow them to be placed here.

Just trying to find a solution, preferably without ad blocking all together.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  8. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182
    What app are you being directed to?

9. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,859
    I had similar problems many months ago on my Android phone when I was looking at the mobile site. That went away when I switched to the full site, which I preferred anyway, and I haven't had any issues since then.

10. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182
    I've searched around to see if any other publishers have been complaining about this and found any sources of the ads. I found one such case where they posted the culprit and I blocked that ad. Hopefully it was the one that was causing you the issue.

11. indienapolis

indienapolis Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $418
    Totally agree. Also why I don't advocate ad blocker.

Anyway, Jared, I access the site daily on my iPhone using the mobile version and get constant redirects to the app store for games, typically. I'll start posting the names of the ads here if that's helpful. Is Taptalk the best way to view from a phone? I don't mind the mobile site, but will do TapTalk if its leagues better.

12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182
    It's personal preference really. Navigating is a little bit different so it took me a little while to get used to but I love it now. I usually view based on last active topics (similar to the activity stream view on the full site). Good method for simply staying up to date on latest postings. A little slower if I'm wanting to go view a specific thread.

I went ahead and just disabled game ads temporarily. See if that fixes the problem.

13. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,839
    Was directed to a Lyft and Trivia Crack ad on my phone. No problems when using a computer

14. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182
    Ugh, the lyft one was a pain to get rid of last time. Sometimes these are the result of poor coding and are not intended to redirect. That lyft one is (or at least was) intentional and completely shady. Last time it was disguised under an advertisement for a completely different product which made it extremely difficult for me to track. I'll get it taken care of though one way or another.

15. indienapolis

indienapolis Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $418
    Candy Crush and Lyft redirects got me today.

16. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $24,182
    Damn. I was just at a conference where the Lyft CEO was a speaker. I could have called him out for this. Uber, their main competitor, are legends of shady stuff.

17. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,182
    I hope I have it taken care of now. Let me know if you get any more issues after this post.

18. I Am Butler

Money:
    $5,211
    Haven't had any issues since you did what you did yesterday! Thanks for your attention to this issue!

19. Bulldog Grit

Bulldog Grit Member

Money:
    $7
    Guys, c'mon. Go with Mozilla and Firefox. You don't get redirected. You get less problems due to pop-ups or ads causing problems with the website. Plus, you can do private browsing. It's like telling advertisers to bug off. It's time to ditch Safari and IE.

20. I Am Butler

Money:
    $5,211
    It's happening again all of the sudden. Been sent to a Farmville app twice in the past 5 clicks. Couldn't see what banner ad was up top either time before I got the redirect.