Forum Upgrades Complete - Feedback Requested

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jared Grubbs, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $22,211
    The forum will be taken offline sometime around midnight tonight while the forum is upgrading. I'm going to be installing completely new forum software that will have an entirely new look. This took me approximately 2 hours to complete when I tested it earlier today, but hopefully it won't take quite as long my second time through.

The forum will be completely unavailable during this period in order to avoid losing any posts. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes for anyone, but I feel it will be well worth it once the new forums are up and functional.

Edit: Upgrade is complete. Please provide feedback below.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016

#60 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,587
    Thanks for your consistent & excellent efforts vis-รก-vis Butler Hoops, Jared!

3. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,211
    Basic upgrade is complete. I still have more features to add, but if you are reading this you are seeing the new ButlerHoops.com forums.

4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,228
    I'm in on tapatalk but getting an error message when I try to access the forum page from safari.

5. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,211
    I'm having some issues getting the old thread urls to redirect to the new ones, so I'm working on that right now.

I'm guessing you are using the old url on safari. It's been shortened to http://Butlerhoops.com/forum. You can remove the /forum.php from the end. This will redirect eventually but I'm messing with those rules at the moment.

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,228
    That did it. Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $24,478
    Is there an option to view in "classic mode"? I'm honestly not a fan...

8. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,211
    It's nearly 3 AM so I'm calling it a night. I didn't get near as much done as I wanted. Stumped with the redirect issue that shouldn't be difficult at all. I've got the basics done though, so everyone should be able to login with their same info and post. If anyone has any problems please post them here.

Also, for tweets and videos, you no longer need to use any codes at all. Just copy and paste the links to them directly in your post and they will automatically display.

No, it's completely different software. Feel free to give me feedback about what you don't like though.

9. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,205
    I agree...

10. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,211
    Everyone said that when I originally changed to that look ;)

But seriously guys, give me feedback on what you don't like. One of the biggest changes in look is the sidebar on the right side. I really like having that extra info over there. I just have to decide what else put there. I figured everyone would like being able to see the latest posts right there on the front page. It's also an additional spot for an advertisement that will be there eventually to help increase site revenue. I'm thinking I'll also put feeds to the articles from the front page and then a twitter feed as well.

11. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,362
    Its just like switching from Windows 95 to Windows 98. Then from Windows 98 to Windows 2000. Every time you switch, people hate the new interface, until they get used to it........then they don't want to give up the interface they finally got used to when the next upgrade comes around LOL

12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $11,538
    Is there an "Activity Stream" functionality? The site looks good to me, but sometimes during the day I stop by on my phone. It would be nice to not have to find the conversations by searching the threads. There was a "Full Site" clickable link at the bottom of the previous UX if the user liked the Desktop delivery with Activity Stream.

You might need to look at your programmatic display settings if your new site is responsive. Your 728x90 desktop leaderboards are showing across empty real estate on mobile. You could update for 320x50's or 300x250's.

13. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,211
    Ugh, I'll have to look at that when I get back home. I had it displaying correctly where it was resizing. Apparently I did something to break it. Probably left open a tag or something somewhere.

As for the activity stream, there is a box on the right of the forums (or underneath the forums on your phone) that shows the last 5 new posts. If you click on the "New Posts" header there it will take you to a new page that shows much more than just the last 5. It should look very similar to the activity stream page.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,205
    Is it necessary to have the avatars of the latest poster be displayed on the respective sub pages? They also don't always get displayed properly in the most current version of Firefox - it may be a CSS issue.

15. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,211
    Do they all not display correctly, or just the ones who don't have an avatar? Are you using mac or pc?

Thanks, and keep sending me display issues/errors everyone.

16. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,690
    My profile got lost somewhere in the shuffle, I think. When I tried to log in it said "user could not be found." I had to create a new one. Not sure if other people have experienced this.

17. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,211
    Did you have multiple accounts by any chance? There were a few accounts that had to be merged because they used the same email address and it couldn't accept both. With this software you can login using your email instead of your username if you want. Try that and see if your account comes up. If I need to change your username I can do that.

18. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $11,188
    On mobile it also seems like it doesn't automatically go to the most recent post, but to the beginning of the thread. Unless I'm missing something? I'm on Safari on iPhone, I want to avoid using the Tapatalk app, just personal preference.

EDIT: I think I figured it out.

19. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,211
    I've made it easier to login/register using Facebook, Twitter, or Google account. You can add these accounts to your profile and then you don't have to worry about remembering another password/account. It's available from the user control panel, or you can use this link here:

http://butlerhoops.com/forum/index.php?account/external-accounts

This should be fixed now. Let me know if it continues.

I kind of like seeing the different avatars on the main page. Previously someone with no avatar showed a "?" image, but I've changed that to be a basketball themed avatar now, so it should look a little better (it might take a little bit for your browser to recache the new image). I'm going to leave it as is for now but I'll reconsider if more feedback comes in wanting in changed.

20. Nildogg

Nildogg Active Member

Money:
    $8,607
    Looks great to me using the browser(not app) on an Android Galaxy S7 active. Nice work