19-20 Rotation, Keys, Predictions

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by thebulldogs, May 1, 2019.

1. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $188
    For better or worse, it looks our roster is set for the 19-20 season, so let's get this thing going! Whats your best guess on our rotation? Keys, x-factors, bold predictions?

January 1 line-up:
    Thompson 30/ Baldwin 10
    Baldwin 25 / Battle 15
    Tucker 15 / McD 20 / Baddley 5
    Nze 17/ Tucker 10/ McD 5 / David 8
    Smits 20/ Nze 10 / Golden 10

Total Minutes:
    Baldwin 35
    Thompson 30
    Nze 27
    Tucker 25
    McD 25
    Smits 20
    Battle 15
    Golden 10
    David 8
    Baddley 5

Random musings:
    -The last two years, we have had no true 4 man on the roster and have played entirely 4 out, 1 in with an undersized 4. McD got abused at that spot defensively this year. Michigan has always ran the 4 out, 1 in offense and LJ definitely seems to be a proponent of it. But, this is the first year where we've got legitimate PF options on the roster. I like the versatility we've got with our bigs, to be honest. Can do some high/low with Smits and Nze, play some small ball with Nze at the 5, or bring in Golden as that stretch 5.
    -I think AT's jumpshot is the single most important thing in determining if next year is successful. I love him as a floor general, but our offense is just too easy to guard when the opposing PG doesn't have to guard AT. We're losing Pauly's 3 pt shooting, and you can't count on freshmen to be consistent, so it's huge for AT to be able to knock them down and take pressure off KB and others.
    -Pumped to see Battle in action. Hope LJ let's him take his lumps in the OOC...I think it'll be worth it come February. 6'5, uber athletic, AND can stroke it? Been awhile (ever?) since we've had a talent like that. I'm sure defense will be an issue and seems like his HS played less of it than most, but I want this kid on the floor.
    -There's been a lot of rumblings about Hastings lately and I hope they're true, but not having seen him play the last 6 months, I just don't see who he is beating out to get any minutes.
    -Expecting a great year from Nze. Like what I've heard/seen from him. Physical bruiser with a whole year to expand his game and transform his body.
    -I think Smits surprises people and is a solid contributor.
    -The Big East is going to be brutal next year, but I like the talent on this roster. Coaching left a lot to be desired last year, but it was a frustrating year all-around. If a couple players aren't buying in, the whole thing is f*****. You didn't hear all those LJ complaints in his first year, but one bad year and everyone's calling for his head. Hopefully the staff grew from it, makes some adjustments, and we're back dancing next March.

bwesson15 and bumba like this.
  2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,168
    I hope David gets more than 8 minutes per game. It's going to be crowded at the 3/4 though. Golden at 10 might be accurate but I hope it's more.

3. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $483
    I don’t see Smits that high but other than that agree. I’d like to see David at 4 with10-14 minuets a game

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $574
    I think this roster is better than most of you think. Just need leaps from Tucker and Thompson. If it happens, I think this is a tournament team. It helps to have one of the best players in the conference. Baldwin will have a lights out senior year.

Shimmy likes this.
  5. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $198
    Just give me an 8 man rotation in January and will be happy. Maybe.

dippper61 and MasterSplinter like this.
  6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    Hopefully David plays more than 8 minutes a game . I can see him playing some at the four. AT will be the key to whether we are a top or bottom feeder in the BE.

7. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $574
    I think it'll be a 9 man rotation.

Thompson
    Kamar
    Tucker
    Nze
    Smits

Battle
    McD
    David
    Golden

8. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,016
    Think this is spot on. Smits isn’t built to average 20 mpg. And we’ll need Christian’s D at the 4.

9. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,820
    I don't think David stuck around to get 8 minutes a game. If he can begin knocking down open shots (big if), he quickly becomes our 2nd/3rd best all around player.

Shimmy, estar20dawg and Insane Dawg like this.
  10. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,400
    McD will be a starter

11. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,188
    I definitely think we have a more complete roster because we can play 4 out or the more traditional 2 big lineup (so I think minutes will be highly variable depending on matchup). We certainly have the pieces to be toward the top of the BE, but there is high variance due to strength of schedule, dependence on new players, and whether our core players significantly improve. Also, we have a potential BE player of the year candidate in Kamar, but the verdict is still out on whether he is truly an elite #1 option.

12. CarlosDanger

CarlosDanger Member

Money:
    $102
    I’d like to see Hastings play some 4 early on. I think he could be more athletic and stronger than David.

dippper61 likes this.
  13. CarlosDanger

CarlosDanger Member

Money:
    $102
    Agree. Biggest growth might need to be with the coaching staff.

dippper61 and bumba like this.
  14. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,018
    I don't get what y'all have seen that gives you any confidence in David...but I'm with it. I don't think he cracks the rotation much after 10-12 games but I'd gladly take being dead wrong and see him becoming any bit of an offensive threat. He's ok defensively and rebounding, if he could add any confidence to his offensive game, yes we have a player. But he lacks that big time, fumbles, bumbles, and throws up air balls if he's not turning it over. You can see something there and it drives you crazy that it can't be cracked, but in the case it is cracked, huge help to this team.

Saying that I believe in time Hastings will hurdle past David in the rotation and David/Baddely won't see much court time, pretty strict rotation of Baldwin, Thompson, Battle, Smits, Nze, McD, Tucker, Golden.

15. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $198
    Hastings is the man.

shoeevv likes this.
  16. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,400
    I thought he wasn’t even in the top ten in michigan’s high school nor was heavily recruited. Is he that good? Just asking.

17. CarlosDanger

CarlosDanger Member

Money:
    $102
    This is pretty much David’s make or break year. He either lives up to his ranking coming out of high school and becomes a solid contributor. Or he underperforms, which I think would end up in him grad transferring for his final year of eligibility.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  18. thebulldogs

Money:
    $188
    I don't get everyone's infatuation with David. He has shown flashes, yes. But, he also looks like a deer in the headlights on offense. Yes, I understand he was still coming off the ACL injury, but he was still just throwing up airballs. For those of you who think he gets more than 8 minutes a game, who is he taking those minutes from? We didn't even have a 4 on the roster last year, and he can only sniff 11 minutes a game? McD and Tucker whom he couldn't jump in front of are still on the roster, and we add a player in Nze who is going to eat significant minutes at his position. Not to mention Golden and Hastings with a (partial) year under their belt and hopefully a healthy summer.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  19. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Serious question-do you think Golden is closer to contributing than David?

To play 8 minutes a game be doesn’t have to take them away from anyone, he just has to not have anyone else take them from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

20. thebulldogs

Money:
    $188
    See my original post. I've got 10 minutes/gm for Golden at the 5. David at 8 minutes/gm at the 4. I'm not saying at 8 min/gm he needs to take them away from anyone. I'm saying, based on my original post, for him to get MORE THAN 8 min/gm, where do people see those minutes coming from. He averaged 11 minutes last year, the same players are on the roster, we add a transfer PF, and our two freshman who were injured half the year, so it seems natural to conclude those minutes are getting squeezed unless he makes major strides this summer, which I hope he does.