19-20 Rotation, Keys, Predictions

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by thebulldogs, May 1, 2019.

1. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,238
    Our new practice facility is so baller...

SpartanDawgs and jkcdawgs like this.
  2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,644
    Wish Smits and JMM will get their shot off quicker.

3. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
  4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,271
    That's some serious respect from Brunson.

I hate the idea that longest win streak = toughest place to play. Cameron Indoor and Allen Fieldhouse are in any top 10 - really top 5 - toughest places to play in men's hoops. But both had home conference losses in tough conferences this year so that somehow makes them less difficult road games?

5. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,644
    Active home ,win streak is meaningless

6. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $230
    Believe the new guys have been on campus several weeks now. Anyone hear anything or get a chance to see an open gym/workout/etc?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,644
    Sounds like Sean McD is no longer on the BE PanAm team

8. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $807
    That's disappointing. I'm happy he is working with our guys, but it would have been a good sign for him to have earned a spot and shown well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,306
    SRG, TheDawgDub95 and SpartanDawgs like this.
  10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,707
    Lukas Lukas Lukas...my man pots and pans-

Smits is going to get more than 10 minutes, and your starting lineup, although explosive and a lineup that will be used at times, especially if they are trying to make the game a little helter skelter with a 3/4 court or so press...Smits and Nze IMO both start with McD as the 3. It should be Tucker there, but LaVall will start McD. IF we go again with major minutes that look like what you and others have suggested, it is exactly what many of you and me have been pleading not to happen-a bunch of McD at the 4.

Your starting lineup will play together here and there. I do believe that. But I also can promise you, from someone that would know, Smits didn't elect Butler for 10 minutes a game. He was assured a few things, one of them minutes and another some offensive sets. And I'm 100% glad and ok with that. We need to be bigger, much bigger. We saw what happened last year, the team wore down and got physically abused most of the BE season. You want a repeat...you don't, I know. None of us do, we can't see a small lineup again this year. Even if that means (sigh) Tucker not starting.

McD at the 4 is what we learned in grade school-the definition of insanity. I don't think LaVall is a good coach at all, but I don't know that he's quite a numbskull insane type that will continue to go down with his team being pummeled on the floor physically.

11. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,707
    I also cannot see David getting that many minutes except for the first few games when LaVall forces him on us, then eventually realizes the kid can't play at this level. He'll be grabbing chair most of the season, seeing meh minutes. Battle will be more 23-25 minutes I believe. Hell I think if all was fair he'd force his way into the lineup, but I can't see coach benching Thompson.

12. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,306
    All very fair points. I went through a ton of different lineup combos before settling on what I did (Jared can attest to that considering the amount of mock lineup texts I sent him lol). I think we'll see a lot more of Smits as well (and a lot of my mock rotations had him more around ~20 mpg), but it is a really difficult roster to put together a chart of minutes. Considering the season is yet to get underway, I am not ready to take CD or Golden out of the rotation altogether (a situation where Smits gains most of those minutes), although I think they are the two most likely to take PT hits compared to my projection. I'm also not trying to state in the article that Butler will run a 10-man rotation - minutes will obviously change based on performance and matchups. For a preseason look at the roster, I think those 10 guys will compete for PT and therefore didn't want to leave anyone out because I don't know their level of offseason improvement. It's super challenging to fill out a minutes chart with 10 players in the rotation. Things will obviously play out differently during the year. As I mentioned in the piece, it's much easier to project the backcourt than the frontcourt for this season. We have differing opinions on Coach Jordan, but I'm confident his rotations will be better than my projections haha.

I agree that it is a very small starting lineup, but I think it's a lock that AT-KB-SM-JT are the leaders in minutes and that will lead to some small lineups. Frontcourt size is obviously going to be a concern but if we go big in the starting lineup, then spacing becomes a serious issue with only McD or JT as an actual threat from distance. There is going to be a weakness either way. I'm hopeful that, by going small, the team can apply some pressure defensively and play to the defensive strengths of the backcourt while throwing the most offensively potent five-man set on the floor. Unless something changes compared to my expectations, I don't see Butler being much better than average defensively but there is potential to be much better offensively. Therefore, I lean more towards an offensively-oriented lineup, for the most part. There are arguments for and against a lot of lineups at this point. We won't know what will actually work until they take the court. You make a lot of good points, though, of course.

13. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,707
    I believe that smaller lineup will be seen some, with at times Battle being a part of it, in for Thompson or McD...and when it does (my prediction is 10-12 minutes a game altogether) I hope to see a 1-3-1 3/4 court with Tucker up top, falling into a 1-2-2 or 2-3.

Lukas Harkins likes this.
  14. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,777
    There are a ton of pieces. Just need to find some rhythm with a few of the combination of lineups and not get stagnant. This is a 10-deep team, for sure. That’ll make it tough for one or multiple players to find their stroke.

I could honestly see this team winning 20-plus if they can get some things to click, even considering the schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

15. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,707
    Aren't we quite the optimist today, eh?

16. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,777
    Just in a good mood. Got my son pumped up for Lion King (not to mention his dad) at Flix this evening. May be clouding my judgement, but I’ll take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Mad_Dawg 48, UDDawg and willisbrown like this.
  17. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,084
    God, I can only hope Smits only plays 10 minutes. If he plays more than that we are definitely either in serious trouble or he's an NBA player,I'll let you figure out what's now likely. I'm hopeful David will finally have his coming out party and needs 20 to 25 minutes at the 4 maybe 5 or since at the 3, rotate MCD and Tucker at the 3 and Tuck some at the 4. Need BG to take a step defensively if he does he should pair well with Nze and space the floor. I want Battle to have all the minutes he can handle at the 2/3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,707
    Let me know how it is. I want go take it in and just may this week after the crowds die down. I loved it when I was younger. I'm too old to be pumped to go see Lion King, but I'm an odd duck like that. It looks amazing fore sure. Y'all enjoy.

19. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $807
    Someone from the pool of David, Baddley, Golden or Hastings is going to have to emerge as a player that can help us win and not just be "serviceable".

If they are all in the mix for minutes throughout the year, we will, probably, not be very good.

Hopefully, someone shows they are clearly better than the others.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

willisbrown likes this.
  20. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,707
    Not a fun pot to choose from, but out of it I choose Golden to take that step. Hastings is a project, Baddley is what he is, same with David. Golden has potential. Hastings is a mystery and was way low ranked, the other two are what they are...not good.