19-20 Rotation, Keys, Predictions

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by thebulldogs, May 1, 2019.

1. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,146
    I don't see any reason to argue about it at this point, but there will be some injuries hopefully small and short lived. If we are more aggressive in the front court, there will also likely be some foul troubles - I wouldn't count David out yet, he could be your 5 minute man.

2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,689
    Tin the very few pictures I have seen recently CD looks ripped. I would not be surprised to see him outperform this sites expectations.

estar20dawg and MBA2003 like this.
  3. SchlabbaDawg

SchlabbaDawg Active Member

Money:
    $3,126
    The staff said Hastings may not be ready by November, so it's not a situation where he will be out for the year. He hasn't be able to practice with the team, and he didn't play last year so there's really no clue what he will contribute.

Speculation on the starting five after reading the article: Thompson, Baldwin, Tucker, Nze, and Smits.

Expectation is Battle will fill the Paul J role. McD is the first reserve, but don't be surprised if he starts over Tucker. Tucker needs to improve his defense. Baldwin and Baddley appear to be the team leaders, though Baddley may not see much time on the court with the glut of wings on the roster. Golden is viewed as more of a bruiser who can play inside out and JMM is big and mobile. Vall has a more balanced roster and believes the team was lacking size and toughness last year. I got the impression the team did not like having to play McD as the 4. Nze and Smits appear to be developing some chemistry together.

4. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $284
    Butler needs Tucker to not only start but to be one of the better scorers in the league if it wants to finish better than last year. They just won't score enough. Might be asking too much but it is what it is, they need the points.

5. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,498
    So many of David's minutes to date have been within Coach Jordan's Pavlovian substitution pattern. Whistle blows.....must substitute one or more, regardless of game situation or who's contributing at the time and who is not. Really difficult to get into game flow when you come in for 2 to 4 minutes bursts and then you're back on the bench. David has shown flashes. But he also has made mistakes, mostly from "pressing," probably in an attempt to impress during his limited time on the court, and because you simply cannot improve without consistent minutes and knowing your role. (He did get some minutes at times for his "D", but last year, that doesn't say much with Butler's absence of D at nearly every position.) IMO, I think you can make an argument either way on David based on his performance to date. So is the question on David more about his talent and potential or is it based upon his production to date, the result of past patterns (or lack of) and inconsistency of utilizing him effectively?

6. SchlabbaDawg

Money:
    $3,126
    David is firmly behind two very similar players in Tucker and McD. I can't see him getting many minutes, especially when conference play begins.

Personally, I'm a fan of 8 to 9 man rotation and I think the top 3 reserves for the team are: McD, Battle, and Golden. That 9th spot think is Baddley over David.

7. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,836
    Yep yep. You hit the top 8 on the head. Although I do believe early we'll be force fed Baddley and David, soon enough the rotation will trim down to the 8 you mentioned. As it should.

MBA2003 likes this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,689
    Thanks for posting this summary. No doubt the team lacked toughness last year. We need someone to put the hurt on the opponents 4 & 5. May actually have too much interchangeable depth.

Bulldogs260 likes this.
  9. MBA2003

MBA2003 Active Member

Money:
    $735
    I agree with everything you said pretty much. Although I felt like last year Tucker forced alot of drives to the basket. It's hard to second guess players in the heat of competition, but I noticed it alot. I think he's an outstanding talent and I hope that Butler's improved depth this year will help improve his overall play. It doesn't hurt to have a year behind you either to reflect and work on your game. I like CD and Baddley but I think either one will really have to show alot in early games (and practice) to get past McD. Of course, the coaches could have something totally different in mind too. Really looking forward to this year over the valley that was last season.

Go Dawgs!

10. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,836
    Y'all are going to see one special talent reaching his potential this year. I'm higher on Tucker than maybe anyone here, but, I just see sooooo much goodness in him. I'd love to see him get to the line aplenty this year...but being flanked by Battle at times and what I expect to be a hungry Baldwin, yes will make Tucker better. Also if he's straight up playing the wing, no small ball 4. My expectations are huge for him in the step forward I believe he will take. If he wants it and if the staff allows for it (gives him more leash and plenty of PT) he'll be 1-A to Baldwin and a monster asset to this team. I think what we will see as fans from him this year compared to what we saw as he dusted off sitting for so long-night and day. If he does that, we're at least an NIT team with an outside shot at dancing. We need him to be good to great. And I believe he will be.

MBA2003 likes this.
  11. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,836
    If the rumors on the twitterz are true we begin BE play with a game at St Johns and Mike Anderson...who is an awful human.

12. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,460
    Big East schedule is now released.

12/31: @ St. John's (in Carneseca) - FS1
    1/4: Creighton - FS1
    1/10: @ Providence - FS1
    1/15: Seton Hall - FS1
    1/18: @ DePaul - FSN
    1/21: @ Villanova - CBSSN
    1/24: Marquette - FS1
    1/28: @ Georgetown - CBSSN
    2/1: Providence - FS1
    2/5: Villanova - FS1
    2/9: @ Marquette - FS1
    2/12: Xavier - CBSSN
    2/15: Georgetown - FOX
    2/19: @ Seton Hall - FS1
    2/23: @ Creighton - FS1
    2/29: DePaul - FS1
    3/4: St. John's - CBSSN
    3/7: @ Xavier - FS1

13. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,146
    For what it's worth Jerry Palm has his Bracket prediction posted on CBS Sports website - his top 4 Big East teams are Villanova 3 seed, Seton Hall 4 seed, Creighton 7 seed, and Xavier 7 seed.
    Marquette is also listed further down somewhere.

14. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,252
    I don't like having 4/6 road games in the first third of the schedule, but if one was to have that situation, you would def want DePaul and SJU to be in that third...

And if you're doing well or on the bubble in March, you def want DePaul and SJU at home in the final third of the schedule...

But no matter what, being in the New Big East is always going to provide a rooooouuuugh schedule (and it's only going to be harder once UCONN arrives)

15. SchlabbaDawg

Money:
    $3,126
    I think this roster is much more balanced than last year, and the pressure is now on Vall to coach these guys back to the tournament. I also like how the schedule plays out for us this year too.

16. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,124
    That's a nasty middle from 1/21 @ Nova to 2/12 home against Xavier

Bulldogs260 likes this.
  17. noltar

noltar Active Member

Money:
    $288
    Four CBSSN games? Gross. But I guess that's what happens when you finish tied for last the previous season.

18. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,836
    Better than the streaming horizon league games on the laptop...I guess?

19. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,460
    But only 1 FSN-Regional game.

bmradio99 and butlerguy03 like this.
  20. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,188
    A few more wins will bring a better TV schedule, if not then the Dawgs will be relegated to the back burner.