19-20 Rotation, Keys, Predictions

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by thebulldogs, May 1, 2019.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,109
    Battle will effectively eat into KB's minutes this year, which is a blessing. The toughness issue was definitely addressed in this recruiting class and there will be an enforcer type this year with Nze. I do believe what will help this team the most is being able to play McD and Tucker on the wings and not anywhere down low. There will be small ball spots, but mostly we'll have the inside covered with a rotation of Nze, Smits and Golden.

MBA2003 likes this.
  2. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $726
  3. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,226
    Careful there might be a shark attack...duh na...duh na... duh nanananana

4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,229
    Haven’t read the article, but the “banged up” was what I was referring to in another thread last week. Just didn’t want to be specific as people tend to overreact.

BU Fan in Illinois likes this.
  5. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $726
    Is it Baldwin and his ankle/foot again?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,544
    I just don't want to watch another season of awful, aimless offensive possessions. I know it's one short clip from one early season practice and I'm probably overreacting, but watching that gave me serious flashbacks.

BHayden and 2xDawg like this.
  7. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $613
    LOL!

I'm laughing so I don't cry.

8. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $430
    I am also in agreement that hopefully we don't see another season of over-dribbling. But considering I assume that anybody out there could watch could that clip, including future opponents; are they really going to show much of anything? I think back to the preseason NFL games where they say that generally less than half the playbook is ever used in those games. Not saying that is the case, but might be a possibility.

9. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,109
    I think if Baldwin can become a stronger threat from the 3 line, along with the addition of Battle at guard/wing that should lead to better ball movement and clearer lanes to the hoop. We saw a snippet of Tucker being more aggressive to the hoop as the season wore down last year-there is your river card. If he has a mindset of getting to the goal and not settling on threes, huge. And last year, maybe his best offense was just launching away because there was no path? When you had a poor shooting Baldwin, a no shooting Thompson, and a 5 man that couldn't play Y ball all out there, defenses just sagged and clogged. Those things will hopefully changed this year because we'll have more of an offensive presence down low and an improved Baldwin and a dynamite Battle patrolling the perimeter.

10. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,845
    The video is strategery to throw everyone off to think we’re going to do the same, tired thing (I hope).

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

11. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $613
    If we were using the NFL pre-season as a template for that video from a strategy point of view, no starters would have been in it. :p

Tentozen likes this.
  12. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,528
    It's entirely possible that they just threw a video up of a random moment during practice with very little thought. Which would make it even funnier that we are examining it like the Zapruder film.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    BHayden, NCJon, MBA2003 and 3 others like this.
  13. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,475
    Didn't you read the other thread? LaVall is great now, and the efficient offense is definitely not being shown on Twitter.

14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,156
    I've said it over and over, but what's another time:

The offense wasn't great, but it was not the primary reason Butler struggled last year. The defense was flat out horrible - historically bad by Butler's standards - and that was due in large part to Brunk, Tucker, and McDermott. Brunk is gone, and Tucker and McDermott will for the most part be guarding smaller players this year. And hell, if Tucker knows which quadrant of the court he's supposed to be on, he'll have improved drastically.

But the reality is Brunk, Fowler, and PJ were positive offensive players, and it is unlikely the offense gets a whole lot better this year. If we are going to meaningfully better this season, it's going to have to have a lot more to do with significant improvements on the other side of the ball. And that can happen.

Tentozen likes this.
  15. Brett

Brett New Member

Money:
    $39
    As mentioned previously, a group of games last year could have easily gone to Butler and swung on a few bad plays.
    Good defense often leads to good offense and the fact that Butler now has a real power forward this year will make a huge difference.
    Also, because of being over matched on defense, Butler players began to wear down over the year, plus Butler's shooting was extremely unpredictable.
    I loved Paul Jorgenson, but you never new if he would be off or on with his shooting. I think Butler has more scoring options this year and it looks like
    there might be some more offensive rebounding and blocks in the mix.

I don't think we really know how good Bryce Nze will be but neither did most people know how good Brandon Clarke was going to be for Gonzaga.
    I don't think he is at Brandon Clarke's level, but I think he will be opening some eyes.

16. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,109
    He can rebound and bang. That's all we really need.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  17. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,507
    You're correct. Those guys weren't very good defenders. First-step slow. Easy to beat off the dribble. Which begs the question why did we pretty much play straight-up man for 90 - 95% of the minutes during the season. No help. No double teams. No junk defenses (what did we have to lose???) Going zone was rarely the answer either. Players were still slow and the middle was still easy to penetrate. Bringing Brunk and Fowler 20 feet from the bucket made no sense whatsoever. Who were they going to effectively guard on the perimeter? If they just stood under the bucket they might have discouraged a drive or two to the hoop, or maybe even got a rebound. With all of the those weak defenders maybe the approach should have been let's "protect the paint" at all costs. Collapse the middle. Pack it on nearly every possession. Double team back downs. Make the opponents beat you by shooting over you....instead of giving up layups because of defensive perimeter breakdowns. I'd rather lose that way then by giving up all those layups.....and second chance possessions. All season long didn't see much in the way of compensating (coaching) for the painfully obvious individual weaknesses of the players on defense. By the way, Baldwin wasn't too effective either. Guess it was the foot. That roster last year was never going to be a good defensive team. But they didn't have to be that bad either.

2xDawg likes this.
  18. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,985
    Does it get tiresome saying effectively the same thing in different ways each time you post?

19. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,837
    Everyone of us could cut and paste from last year and match what is being posted immediately above now

2xDawg and BoyGeoff like this.
  20. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,507
    Notice you didn't disagree with content. Just your "behind the keyboard cheap shots." Every board has 'em. I believe this was my third post over the past 4 or 5 months. But I do remember you. So when you actually post something knowledgeable about basketball instead of the sycophantic drivel you usually post it would be refreshing.

FriarDawg likes this.