19-20 Rotation, Keys, Predictions

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by thebulldogs, May 1, 2019.

1. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $706
    From what I've seen to this point, we will run 4 out no matter who is on the floor. I'm guessing (hoping) LaVall brought Nze here because he fits that system well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

DawgPoundMac and Insane Dawg like this.
  2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    Many of us have said both the offensive and defensive schemes didn’t make sense for the talent we had. It will take time to replace the talent to fit the high ball screen offense and also how we defend it. If AT can develop a decent jump shot and our threes can learn how to go hard to the basket will go a long way to fixing the offense. Now that Fowler and Brunk are gone maybe our bigs will be more mobile on defense

bumba and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,013
    His shooting leaves aplenty to be desired, but let's hope a year has helped. His FT numbers are brutal. 3 ball he's not good but if he can push that to 33-35% that's a huge boost.

4. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $483
    Thompson Baldwin tucker David NZE would be a scary lineup i think.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,773
    I mentioned to Lukas this weekend that I wondered if this could end up being our best lineup. I think David might be our best all around defender at the 4 spot. It’s small but should be a good rebounding lineup. David has to get confidence from behind the arc though. He doesn’t need to be like McDermott or anything but he has to help stretch the floor.

6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    I think this is true and definitely was a factor but you can be a good pick and roll player without being exceptional at any one thing offensively if you’re intelligent about it, Gillespie from Nova comes to mind as an example of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $706
    That's a good example. While not exceptional in any aspect, he is good in all. Teams have to honor every aspect of his game because he can make them pay consistently. We only had one guy, last year, that could make teams pay consistently. Hope we have a good offseason of development. I can't say that I felt anyone made great strides during the last offseason, skill wise.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    We didn’t have a Tyshon Alexander, but I don’t buy the lack of growth development/narrative at all. I think it because we had a couple of guys who didn’t take big leaps but nothing unordinary.

Not just you, but I’m not sure why people seem to forget that Joey went from scoring 25 points ALL SEASON to a guy who was a highly competent offensive post presence. I think his growth was dramatic.

Kamar has only slightly better numbers but was clearly improved. He developed a post game that was actually good and was a MUCH better distributor this year despite his inherently limited court vision/decision making.

As much as AT still lacks offensively, he was also substantially better. He was also a different guy defensively, in the best way possible.

Sean has previously been an assassin, but ONLY when he had his feet set and square prior to the catch. He got significantly better at shooting off of screens and the bounce. I think his ball handling improved as well.

I do think we did have too many guys that were basically one dimensional on offense, but our offense was actually pretty good, especially when you consider we didn’t have a true go to guy. This is why Jared suggests that Jordan be our go to offensive guy. Not only is he talented, but he can be a multi level threat.

The suggestion people didn’t develop is simply not true, and I think people simply believe it because the team overall was worse and some people on here have basically changed their screen name to it. The reason the team was worse, however, was primarily because our defense was flat out awful. We also had a disproportionate amount of bad luck with respect to losing close games after excelling at winning them for a long time prior.

While we don’t have enough to suggest player development is a strength of the staff, we have far less to suggest its a weakness.

9. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,013
    Technically there are only 3 guards on this roster that can play at this level (I'm including Battle)...I wonder if we'll see some Tucker in the back court looks at times? If he could develop into somewhat of a point forward (long way to go, I know but the skills are there) that would be a yuge step forward for this team. But as is, if a guard goes down, not much depth there.

10. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,400
    There are degrees of improvement and individually and team wise it wasn’t sufficient. Will an entire of season of weight and conditioning make the difference? Unless there is also considerable work on jumping, foot work and lateral movement I have concerns. Based on Brunk and Fowler it didn’t happen last off-season. It’s good to see AT finally working on a jump shot which is way late in the development stage. I can see Tucker being a volume scorer but he is going to have to be more explosive off the dribble and tougher and be more willing to bang. I can see both David and McD having big years. After that who knows.

11. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $574
    I think it’s pretty unfair assumption to say AT is finally working on his shot. I’d bet a paycheck he has been for years.

estar20dawg likes this.
  12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,400
    Sure didn’t look like it. The way he holds the ball when he shoots tells me he didn’t get the right coaching or put in the reps.

13. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,317
    It seems on free throws the ball leaves his hand differently nearly every time.

14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,400
    That’s because he cradles the ball with his off hand under the ball versus from the side. He starts his shot kind of like (if you can envision ) the way an alligator opens it’s mouth with his shooting hand on top and his off hand on the bottom. Consequently the ball never leaves his shooting hand the same way each time. I tried to shoot that way. It’s difficult to control where the ball is going. Try it. Hopefully Joey Burton is working to correct the way he holds the ball before he shoots. If he doesn’t AT will never be a good shooter. Why no one ever worked with AT until now is a mystery and for him to have gotten this far without a functioning jump shot speaks to how good he could have been or still could be.

15. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,013
    If Butler wants to sniff .500 or a little better, they will need:

McD not at 4, the super sniper 3 pt percentage
    Tucker 40% plus from 3
    Baldwin 33-35% plus from 3 and better court awareness
    Thompson at least 28-30% or so and a decent volume to show as a threat to defenses. I don't care if he misses, just be a threat, make them guard honestly
    Battle to be an awesome incoming Shelvin Mack type stud
    Nze to rebound like he did in the Horizon
    Smits to be about 8 and 5 a game
    Golden to add significant playing time and be an outside threat while improving his defense (15-18 minutes a game)
    David to gain any semblance of offensive confidence. Stop fumbling, bumbling and aiming. Stroke smoothly and confidently
    Hastings-emerge and play some strong 3 and small ball 4, be a presence on D, eventually take David's minutes
    Baddely-Won't play
    JMM-redshirt

Run a 1-3-1 or 1-2-2 3/4 court press here and there. The depth is there to do so at a frantic pace. Tucker, Hastings, David all could be very good at the top of that zone trap press.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  16. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,889
    I don't want Hastings to take David's minutes, I want Hastings to take McD minutes and have David and Hastings on the court at the same time

Hinkle Nation and willisbrown like this.
  17. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    .500 in the second weekend of the tourney??

18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,400
    Why ? Is Hastings that good?

19. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,889
    We need him to be. If the accounts from last year are correct I think he should be a pretty solid player for us next year if healthy

20. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,013
    The idea of them at the same time is intriguing if either can show out a little offensively, I'm liking that idea. But that's yet to be seen and we really need to be careful how many "zero" players offensively are out there at once. Balance will be key. If Hastings has a little offensive game, I expect wonderful things. I personally have given up on David's offensive ability, but he surprising me would be welcomed.