19-20 Rotation, Keys, Predictions

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by thebulldogs, May 1, 2019.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,816
    Butler was better than .500 in the regular season last year without any of these things...

2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,889
    The schedule is much much tougher than last years as well now...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,816
    It's going to be tougher, certainly, but gigantic improvement just to "sniff" matching this year's record, which featured several late-game collapses and three no-shows to end the season? Nah.

Butler is going to have to have some things go their way (and some marked improvement from certain players) to make the tournament. But .500 can happen with just about no one getting better.

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,013
    Yeah I don't see many wins on that schedule...maybe 6 or 7 BE wins, maybe. The non con is brutal. I think .500 is a fair mark and they could be a little better than last season...but the schedule is brutal...even if you consider the roster upgraded, the schedule to me balances out what I expect and hope from Battle, Nze and Hastings.

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,816
    I don't think people appreciate how bad St. John's and DePaul are going to be. Butler will have to play poorly to lose any of those 4 games. I have faith they can win 4 or 5 of the other 14 games without doing anything notable.

Tentozen likes this.
  6. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,013
    I don't think people appreciate how bad we are going to be. We'll be right there with those two. Maybe a hair better. But we are not good either. If what I said even comes close, we're marginal. If it comes short, we're simply a mediocre team with a bad staff...just the way it is. Sucks.

7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,816
    Yeah, see the thing is there's no good rationale for believing that. DePaul is projected literally 90 spots below Butler right now; St. John's more than 50.

Tentozen likes this.
  8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    There is very little required for us to be substantially better than last year, and there is a lot more evidence to suggest we will improve than get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

9. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,013
    I could care less about projections other than the conversations on here just for grins. Those projections can say all they want. It does not mean this team isn't headed for 8th or worse this upcoming season. Gun to head, Butler at 6-12 or 7-11, with DePaul and SJU around 6-12 or 5-13. Same boat. Projections are wonderful until the ball is tipped and Butler gets beaten to a pulp.

10. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    The one thing I’ll say about Willis is that he at least admits he doesn’t care about reality.

jeff and Tentozen like this.
  11. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    I concur we will be better to what degree is the big question. I would assume the returnees will be better. Many on here believe Hastings and Nze will be the difference makers. I don’t know why but hope they are right.

12. bwesson15

bwesson15 Active Member

If anyone follows David on Instagram. He has been putting him working out with a trainer on his stories. He looks so skilled I really just think its confidence with him.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen, shoeevv and estar20dawg like this.
  13. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,889
    In terms of ceiling David is top 2 or 3 on the team. If he can go to a hypnotist and ignore everything LJ has done to him the past couple of years you could easily see him having a 10, 7, 5, 2, 2 season. You could comp him to a Rui Hachimora type player if he can breakthrough mentally. I'd have him seeing a sports psychologist 3 times a week as well cause the dude is a straight baller with NBA upside if he ever figures it out. Some of y'all laugh but he's a lot closer to NBA talent then hidden on a bench...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  14. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $499
    Bear with me as I may be in the minority on this, but I don't think Hastings will be a rotational player next year, nor do we need him to be.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer at all, and I understand recruiting rankings don't always matter, but taking into account that he wasn't exactly our highest rated recruit ever, combined with the fact that he still has no playing experience at this level and is coming off injury, combined with the fact that we have 9 players solidly ahead of him on the depth chart, I just don't see it THIS YEAR.

I'm as excited as anyone about what he can become, and what his upside is, and he will have all the opportunities for minutes and will likely be a big part of our team his Rs So., Jr., and Sr. seasons here. But I've gone through the depth chart for next season time and again and I'm just failing to see who he could pass in a 9 man rotation. Of course stranger things have happened and I'm not ruling he could pass someone for the last rotational spot, but if that doesn't happen and we don't want another 10 man rotation, I'm thinking this season will be used to get his feet wet at this level.

15. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,013
    Tell me, how did all those projections do last year? An under .500 record and a conference last finish? Is that what they projected? If so, all hail projections.

I bet they didn't, and everyone who worships them was going to their grave about how great Butler was all season. Hint, they weren't very good.

CarlosDanger likes this.
  16. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    I think it’s the new kid syndrome.

17. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $483
    It’s for sure confidence I saw his workouts and khalif battles. Looked like two studs

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $188
    Khalif is on campus already? I thought freshmen usually dont get to campus until June/July (2nd summer session)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    So it’s your belief that if projections aren’t 100% accurate they are useless?

I wish my world were that black and white.

20. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Active Member

Money:
    $249
    Not sure where to put this.

What ever Purdue is doing this off season, maybe Butler should try it out ;););)

mwall787 likes this.