20-21 Look ahead

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, Mar 18, 2020.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,015
    I mean why not. We're bored, half of us or more either work from home or stuck at home. Let's discuss and give us something to BS about while we're just waiting on the grim reaper.

I've heard rumblings about Tucker. I am keeping everything as is/expected but know there is a chance he won't be here...but if he is? My lineup:

Thompson, Tucker, Scoob, Nze, Golden

Bench contribution-Coles, Tate, Harris, Battle, at some point David

Not many minutes or RS-Hastings, JMM, Wilmoth (RS)

Obviously it is too early to know too much. There will probably be a defection or two and an addition...if that happens this is subject to change. But of all the talented freshmen coming in, I see Scooby as the one that can come in, play at least 3 positions, and make his mark.

Next year's team will be "deeper" in talent than the last couple years, but, it will see bumps in the road with the infusion of young talent. But, you got 4 guys with a ton of experience to help lead. And this class is special coming in. It may be too exciting, but it'll be fun.

2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,819
    I can see Tate , if he can defend, at the two but Id say it will be Battle that plays along side AT. First off the bench at the five- JMM. Don’t be surprised to see Hastings playing ten minutes a game at the four. I can also see Scooby coming off the bench from time to time to spell Tucker, AT and Battle. Harris, Coles and Wilmoth spot minute candidates. David, if he comes back healthy, will be the sixth man.

I have JMM andHastings ahead of most of the freshmen because they both have practiced and been coached by the staff, are a year or two older and will have spent another off season in the weight room.

Again if we don’t find another 12-15 point a game player it’s going to be a questionable year.

3. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Active Member

Money:
    $458
    Willis, for your bench contributions: Is that list just in general or is it a list of who comes off the bench first? Just curious.

I’m really curious about Hastings. I would obviously love to see him contribute but it’s so hard to project what he is capable of because of the lack of minutes.

4. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,015
    Straight up contributions, no guesses on minutes although I do believe Coles will be the rotating in "big". I just think he's ready to roll and play at this level.

The wild card is David. If he is back and playing, he'll probably be first off the bench. But we have no idea if that will be the case.

nicklas_early likes this.
  5. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,342
    This is what I had come up with looking at the roster and assuming we actually play everybody (not likely) with the starters in bold. I originally had Battle a little bit higher just with what was graduating in front of him, but dropped him a bit based on this season and have David with fewer minutes due to the injury.

Thompson 30
    Golden 25
    Nze 25
    Tucker 25
    Battle 20

Johnson 13
    Tate 13
    Harris 12
    Coles 10
    David 10
    Mulloy 10
    Hastings 7
    Wilmoth 0 RS

One thing I noticed going through this is we've got a glut of guys that are 3/4's in our system. The guards shake out pretty well with 4 guys for 80 minutes, but the forward positions are crowded. We obviously won't play 12, so I'd expect some of those bench minutes to go up/down depending on who starts to earn more minutes.

6. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,313
    My guess is this:

PG - Thompson (35) Harris (5)
    SG - Battle (20) Tate (5) Harris (5) Tucker (10)
    SF - Tucker (20) Johnson (10) David (10)
    PF - Nze (20) David (10) Coles (10)
    C - Golden (30) Nze (10)

I think Thompson can easily give us 35 minutes a night if he's not in foul trouble. Nze and Golden can do 30 if they aren't in foul trouble too. I don't see Mulloy or Hastings playing.

Hopefully it ends up like this:
    PG - Thompson (35) Harris (5)
    SG - Transfer (30) Battle (10)
    SF - Tucker (30) Johnson (5) David (5)
    PF - Nze (15) David (20) Coles (5)
    C - Golden (25) Nze (10) Mulloy (5)

Thompson 35
    Transfer 30
    Tucker 30
    Nze 25
    Golden 25
    David 25
    Battle 10
    Johnson 5
    Harris 5
    Mulloy 5
    Coles 5

7. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,203
    I've heard rumblings on a different rotation player, but again, nothing is for certain until it actually happens.

-AT is locked into as many minutes as he can handle
    -Will probably need close to 30 a night from Bryce Squared, but foul trouble will surely make their minutes inconsistent
    -Tucker I think will play 30+ regardless because they will need his shooting, but if he can work on his finishing, he will be that much more impactful
    -Expect a RS from Wilmoth and limited minutes from Coles; Scooby and Tate I think have the best shot at meaningful minutes, which isn't to say Harris can't make an impact either
    -Hoping JMM can play 8-10 in a backup role at least, but he will need to work on some things this offseason
    -Battle is a wildcard for sure: could easily be 20-25 minutes plus or he could be...

bobbu64 likes this.
  8. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,124
    Well, not too hard to read between the lines there. I do think we will have one defection. I do think Battle or Tucker could be it, but ironically, they are both locked into big minutes next season, so the timing is odd. I think that next season is going to be a step or two back from this year, but that's to be expected. Defensively, we might be top 10, but offense could be downright ugly. That said, the future looks quite nice.

9. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,678
  10. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,678
    And now time for the most anticipated and soon to be scrutinized list... *drum roll*

[​IMG]

3. Creighton
    13. Nova
    25. UCONN
    40. Xavier
    41. PC
    50. SJU
    53. Butler
    61. SHU
    81. Marquette
    84. Gtown
    129. DePaul

http://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php
    (Obv these projections are made off last season's schedule)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  11. SnoopDawg

Money:
    $1,313
    Not questioning you or your source, but Battle transferring would be pretty baffling to me. Unless he's just not enjoying campus or coaching, it makes no sense. He's set to be a 3-year starter for us. He was given plenty of opportunities this year, but failed to capitalize on them. If he does transfer, I would assume it would be towards the east coast because he's missing family or something.

12. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,202
    My version of reading between the lines is noticing the only guys he didn't mention... David and Hastings (although Hastings isn't a rotation player). David would totally suck because I've been one of his biggest fans but I would understand him wanting a change of scenery. Same for Hastings.

13. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,787
    The speculation on who may or may not be leaving is my least favorite aspect of the off season. I hope it ends quickly.

14. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,015
    Problem is the transfer market itself and how active it is...Butler isn't immune to transfers (obviously) plus you see all these names that could be ok fits yada yada. Just wait til they allow immediately eligible transfers...the talk will only ramp up. Every offseason, it will always be a topic.

SnoopDawg likes this.
  15. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,819
    It appears the general consensus is that JMM and Hastings will be either relegated to the end of the bench or in the case of Hastings gone.

16. dawgy dawgy

dawgy dawgy Active Member

Money:
    $247
    How long is Willis going to come up with some BS for? The dude literally “hears rumors” every other week. Remember when he said battle is leaving- he was sick. Gtfo out of here dude posting rumors about these kids you know nothing about. You have zero clue. You are doing harm to the program making such pointless rumors maybe because you are bored in life but plz entertain yourself more at the mexican place instead of making up rumors. @willisbrown

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  17. dawgy dawgy

Money:
    $247
    How long is Willis going to come up with some BS for? The dude literally “hears rumors” every other week. Remember when he said battle is leaving- he was sick. Gtfo out of here dude posting rumors about these kids you know nothing about. You have zero clue. You are doing harm to the program making such pointless rumors maybe because you are bored in life but plz entertain yourself more at the mexican place instead of making up rumors. ]@willisbrown

18. dawgy dawgy

Money:
    $247
    How long is Willis going to come up with some BS for? The dude literally “hears rumors” every other week. Remember when he said battle is leaving- he was sick. Gtfo out of here dude posting rumors about these kids you know nothing about. You have zero clue. You are doing harm to the program making such pointless rumors maybe because you are bored in life but plz entertain yourself more at the mexican place instead of making up rumors. @willisbrown.

19. SnoopDawg

Money:
    $1,313
    I don't know if you're asking us to stop talking about it or if you're just hoping we get some answers soon. If it's the former, we are here to debate Butler basketball. LJ is recruiting transfers and we currently have a full roster. That makes me want to know what changes are happening this off season. When I want to know something related to Butler basketball, I end up here.

jkcdawgs, UDDawg and willisbrown like this.
  20. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,197
    The whole season is on battle
    He has to be able to come in and score double digits as Golden was able to this year

Overall I am skeptical of how next year will go with how much we relied on McDermott and Baldwin

Time for some guys to step this offseason big time

One thing we will have though is great senior leadership again and that always goes along ways in college basketball