20-21 Look ahead

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,985
    ButlerNut, bobbu64 and chc3 like this.
  2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,727
    I highly doubt LaVall does the smart thing and goes hard with everything he has after Smith so....Scoob is your new 3.

3. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,963
    DawgsMD and Tentozen like this.
  4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,464
    BU could be a possibility if he wants to continue to pursue a masters degree in business.

5. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,711
    Never has one with a lot of potential done so little. See ya!

SnoopDawg likes this.
  6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,653
    For some reason I think the core of AT, Golden, Nze and Jair is going to be more than solid. You know those four are going to better than this past season.

7. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $375
    It’s a truly atrocious offense.

Next year, Butler is going to make Virginia look dynamic.

Nobody’s defense is good enough to matter when your offense is that terrible

8. willisbrown

Money:
    $8,727
    Yeah...I agree there. I think it will be a struggle against decent teams to get 55-60 on the board. That will change and the freshmen improve. End of year we will be scoring much better but as it kicks off, yeah, gonna be a rough look.

I do believe Tate and Scoob will be fine after a little seasoning. Coles I think will be as well. But they still will be freshmen. Gonna be a "lumpy" season...and that's fine. Let the kids learn and make them your base going forward.

cornette33 and Insane Dawg like this.
  9. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,276
    If we don't land an IE wing, then I think the big wildcard to me is Hastings. If he can stay healthy and show some promise on the offensive end it would really help. Surely he hasn't shown it so far at Butler, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt given his injury history. Either way, it's going to be difficult to score next year unless someone takes a big leap forward. I think AT, Golden, and Boldin will all average double figures. In LJ I'm going to trust and I still think we find someone to use that last scholarship.

10. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,464
    Regardless of what happens with the transfer market, one or perhaps more of the pups will emerge as a go to guy by the end of next season. No doubt about the growing pains and ups & downs considering another challenging schedule, but one has to look forward about what lies ahead.

2xDawg likes this.
  11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,653
    Scoring may be an issue but with five ( assuming David is healthy) very seasoned and physically tough players it will not be a cake walk for whoever plays Butler. Scoring may be an issue but rebounding, defense and toughness won’t be. Much like Virginia 60 points a game may be all that is required to win a lot of games.

BURph92, 2xDawg and SnoopDawg like this.
  12. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,486
    I think some of you are sleeping on Bryce Golden. The dude can defiantly get buckets inside and out. Wouldn’t be shocked if Nze developed more of a consistent jumper either.
    I don’t think the scoring will be so bad to the point where no matter how good we defend we lose especially at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  13. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,276
    I defiantly agree. I also think that AT will score a lot more. When he decides he's going to go to the bucket the results are usually pretty good. This offense will revolve around him driving to the basket and either taking a floater, finishing at the rim, drawing a double team causing a Bryce dunk, or kicking it out to Boldin for a three. Our offense will probably look pretty similar to when we had Rosie which wasn't too bad :p

14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,653
    Both Bryces will be better offensively as well. We are losing 40 points a game but aren’t Marquette and Seton Hall losing comparable scoring?

15. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $774
    1 returning player above 30% from 3. That is Nze at 2/5. Bolden shot 41% last season at SC. So he is the lone 3 Pt. threat. We are totally dependent on a freshman or freshmen to score on perimeter, and, I'll believe that when I see it. We don't have dominant size or athleticism inside, so when they pack it in, where do the points come from? We need another shooter. This year.

Sidd Finch and KCbufan21 like this.
  16. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,661
    My memory is foggy. When was the last time we lost our 2 top scorers from the previous season? (let alone our top 3... was Tucker our 3rd?)

17. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,985
    Tuck was fourth (third in conf. play) in scoring and sixth in estimated points produced. I also included their TS% here for reference because it's still crazy to remember just how darn efficient Nze was.

KB - 16.2 (.510)
    SM - 11.7 (.639)
    BN - 9.2 (.633)
    JT - 8.9 (.526)
    BG - 7.9 (.551)
    AT - 7.2 (.509)

No one else scored more than 3.2 ppg.

I'm working on an article comparing this roster to some other stuff that'll come out in a couple of weeks probably.

Tentozen, ButlerNut and cornette33 like this.
  18. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,237
    After 2012-13. Our two leading scorers were Rotnei (16.9) and Andrew (11.3). Rosey was third at 10.1.

Coincidentally, that also was the most recent season when we had five different players as our leaders in points (Rotnei), rebounds (Andrew), assists (Rosey), steals (Alex), and blocks (Kam).

More fun facts: since 2010-11, only one player has led in three categories in the same season: Kamar in 2018-19 (points, rebounds, steals). Prior to that, it happened in four consecutive years:

2010-11: Matt (points, rebounds, blocks)
    2009-10: Gordon (points, rebounds, blocks)
    2008-09 Matt (points, rebounds, blocks)
    2007-08 Mike Green (points, rebounds, assists)

Brandon Polk also did it in 2004-05 (points, rebounds, blocks)

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    ButlerNut and BUcheer like this.
  19. willisbrown

Money:
    $8,727
    I agree I just don't know if one is out there to be had. At least not one that is eligible. I really, really want Smith and we were on him a few years ago in HS...maybe there is a chance at landing him but that doesn't help the shooting much. Bolden's usage wasn't what I thought it should be at SCeast and I think he could be more than he was there. If he can that helps tremendously. Scoop and Tate can rake it from deep but as you said, freshmen...believe it when I see it. To have any chance of being decent, we'll need both of them to be ready to dance right away.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  20. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,684
    I agree and think “assuming David is healthy” is a huge factor to next season’s success because like you said we’d have “5 seasoned veterans” along with the freshmen and the returning wildcards. Before he got hurt CD was playing meaningful, quality minutes and hit the go ahead 3 in the BE opener late @ SJU.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

godogs91 likes this.