20-21 Look ahead

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,916
    Remember David was the sixth man before he got hurt not Tucker.

Shimmy, bumba, 2xDawg and 2 others like this.
  2. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,110
    He absolutely has to develop a dynamic offensive game, including the ability to put the ball on the floor to work with this roster. Otherwise, he is getting minutes for defense and rebounding. Most of you believe he has it in him. I really hope he is able to pull it together for a great year!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $399
    Butler's chance at being adequate is striking oil with one of the freshman, becoming a plus scorer. David just cannot score nearly enough for it to make a difference with the other group of starters. Maybe he does end up starting. Butler probably finishes 8th (or thereabouts) either way, but at least Scooby+ is a Lottery ticket that could pull that up to 5th or 6th (granted unlikely)

I personally would rather have a chance, albeit small, of not being an abysmal offense with little upside

bumba likes this.
  4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,315
    Scoob is a dynamic player. He needs to be the 3. End of story.

5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,916
    Outside of Nova and Creighton which BE teams are noticeably better than Butler?

6. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,169
    UCONN & PC

7. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,876
    the Hall

bumba and Bulldogs260 like this.
  8. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,526
    Willis could coach seton hall and win the last few years :) I want to see how Willard does without Powell. I agree as of now they are better than BU though.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Dunhamfor3 likes this.
  9. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,232
    I'm planning on posting my WTE Big East rankings for Heat Check either tomorrow or Sunday, so I guess I'm on the right topic XD.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  10. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,670
  11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,169
    I think we're going to be a solid defensive team next year. Definitely agree one of the 2020's is going to need to step up on offense. Don't forget though that David hit the game winner at St. John's.

12. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,050
    Dude, David has had his moments, but a single jump shot doesn’t qualify him to be a go to scorer. Assuming he can go 100% without limitation, I think he can give us 6 & 5 a game. His confidence is his biggest drawback, but as a senior if Laval puts his trust in him he can be a steady contributor.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

dawgs2014, bumba and willisbrown like this.
  13. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,315
    Bingo...the kid has never, ever proved to be anything reliable on the offensive end. One shot. That's it. He plays good D and rebounds ok, but when the ball is on his hands or at the FT line you'd think the ball had corona. I know people have been dreaming on him going on 4 years now...it ain't happening. Plus his playing on two broken wheels.

Scoob is your answer at 3. Just has to be. Much better upside and healthy. It's a shame that David could never put it all together, but, it ain't just gonna magically happen. Time to face what is. IF he's healthy, he should give 8-10 minutes and some tough defense. He never got his confidence for some reason, and that has plagued him...that and his knees. He can contribute, but not at the level some think.

14. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,876
    Somebody's taking again...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Bulldogs260 likes this.
  15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,169
    I don't disagree with what you guys are saying, but I also don't see a true "go to scorer'" beyond bigs on the post. Just my opinion but we're more likely going to win with defense this year while the 2020's get used to the college game.

I'm also not saying David is going to be all conference. I think he's played his role very effectively so far... but has been on the court with two ball hogs in Kelan & Kamar during his BU career. What happens if he finally gets 5 or 10 shots a game? The kid was a solid scorer in high school - does no one remember he was a Top 100 high school prospect as a junior before hurting his knee?

I also think about how many games at the end of the season Henry stepped up when Battle and Tucker's offense turned into brick city. Henry wasn't asked to play that role that in his first three years. Seniors rise to the challenge.

estar20dawg likes this.
  16. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,315
    You've always had a hard on for him...for reasons I cannot figure out. Probably the same reason y'all could never figure out my hard on for Tucker. We're all guilty of it. He just doesn't have the offensive game at this level. Plus is running on two blown tires. His place will be a grit/tough type to come in and F ish up. And that's more than fine with me. But you or anyone cannot look at David...then look at Scoob and say the higher ceiling is not with Scoob. IF healthy, David will have his role and will provide valuable minutes. I have no doubt. Got to get him healthy first and then see what's what.

17. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $536
    A quick thought about a truncated season that was actually in the Hodges thread but probably is more appropriate here. The odds for a truncated season are probably pretty high, but I think we have missed the point of a "truncated season" bit. I wouldn't be surprised by a "hybrid season" where the non-conference games (including the X-Roads Classic) are all played without fans. Then beginning in January fans are reintegrated into NCAA games (B10 will have to figure this out since conference play begins in mid-Dec). Why do I think this? The NBA is getting a lot of push-back from the NBAPA for floating a start to the 2021 season in December. Given that the resumption of NBA 2020 begins in late July and ends in Oct, I don't see NBA 2021 returning prior to January. If I were an NCAA President or NBA Owner, I would want to take a conservative approach and begin fan integration in January where the probability of having a COVID-19 inoculation is much more probable given historic trends in developing immunizations (typically 11-12 months). These are business organizations who like stability and have been shaken by events since March 2020. They will tend to take a cautious approach. Better to play 9-10 non conference home games without fans than to lose an entire season. Thoughts?

18. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,670
    A couple of points on this topic. First, I don't think there will be an effective, widely-available vaccine by January, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some fans in the stands (though nowhere near capacity) then anyway. Allowing fans to attend won't happen then because of the vaccine or because the risk is substantially less than it would be today but rather because the people who make those decisions will have decided that the rewards are greater than the risks. (Please, let's not turn this into another coronavirus thread; the existing one is a total mess and we don't need another one.)

I do agree with your general point that the season is not likely to be played as originally scheduled (including as an adjustment the fact that some or all games may be played in front of no fans or a limited number of socially-distanced fans). I've been receiving notices from the Butler ticket office asking me to renew my season tickets and touting the exciting 19-game home schedule at Hinkle. Frankly, I think it's extremely disingenuous that they don't at least acknowledge that there are likely to be changes and adjustments--they just want me to send in my money for my season tickets as if this is just any other season. The only nods that they make to the fact that these are unusual times are that the deadline for season ticket purchases is later (September 25) and there are more generous pay-over-time provisions than normal. There's not a word about what might happen to my season ticket money if some of the games are cancelled or if some are played in an empty arena or one with a very limited number of fans (which might not include me). I understand that they don't know exactly what the season will look like, but I think it's highly inappropriate not to at least acknowledge that, if I buy my season ticket for 19 games, there is a real possibility that I won't get to attend 19 games and to assure me that some appropriate adjustment regarding my season ticket payment will be made if that happens. (And that "appropriate adjustment" needs to include me having an option to have a portion of the purchase price refunded and not being required to just accept a credit toward 2021-22 season tickets.)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Gregory Roach and seadawg like this.
  19. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $536
    I can't disagree with your perspective. I was probably describing the optimal situation...not the most probable reality.

As yourself, my wife and I are season ticket holders as well. I have the same concerns that you related to paying for something I may never be able to enjoy. Further I have delayed my athletic department contribution for extra seating points until the last day possible in order to see how this plays out. Given our generally similar concerns and approach to season tickets coupled with the emails we have received, I am sure the athletic department is left with a very difficult job of convincing the season ticket base to pony up for 20/21.

A lot of uncertainty on all sides of how to play 20/21. Eventually the NCAA/BE/Butler will have to make some final decisions. Until than, it's speculation and guesswork which isn't good for selling your product (seats).

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Butler Hoops mobile app

Albick likes this.
  20. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,315
    The idea of the NBA coming back and the fact there most likely will be football...I got to think basketball follows suit and will have its season. It will be, depending on state, 30-50% capacity at least early on, if not all season. My question, if I am a season ticket holder at any D-1 program where it costs a pretty penny is this-how much the last few years has been season ticket holders vs walk ups for games. Chances are some places, let's say Hinkle goes at 50%...that probably covers most of not all season ticket holders. So you're probably safe but you may have seating adjustments and if that is the case, they should adjust your pay/money in the case you get bumped because of safety measures. Now if that number is higher than 50% give or take, then I'd be more cautious in throwing my money towards it.

I do believe the season will be played. But I'd be weary eyed and conservative with my coin too until I had more details.

Gregory Roach likes this.