20-21 Look ahead

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, Mar 18, 2020.

1. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,023
    If we have any shot of dancing, AT will need to hit 30% of his threes, Nze can’t be a turnover machine, Battle and Tuck will need to average 13+ PPG, and one of the Frosh will have to be a key contributor.

KCbufan21 and willisbrown like this.
  2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,008
    OK bulldogs 260/butlergrad1111/all your other names. You make quite easy to know who you are with the way you post. You may want to try to hide a little better so people don't know you are the one that's been banned/changed names multiple times.

dawgs2014, godogs91 and BoyGeoff like this.
  3. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,008
    I just don't see that ever being a thing. Hell he hardly takes them. I think the yuge key is Tucker taking that step forward we all know he can and the contrubutions from the new guys. I think we can pencil in Golden and Nze for about 9-10ish pts a night plus 6-8 rebounds. At least. Where the offensive fire power, losing KB and McD, there is our key. I believe Scooby and Coles, maybe even Tate will be immediate scoring impacts.

And we need Battle to take that step too...make himself a threat. We know the talent is there. Let's just hope he corrals it and knocks 'em dead next season.

godogs91 likes this.
  4. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,203
    To be honest, outside of Creighton and Villanova, everyone has questions going into next year, and frankly, I think we are in a better position than several teams heading into next year.

St John's - LOL!!
    DePaul - Less of an LOL but I have to believe it when I see it; makes sense for Reed to test draft waters in what should be a weaker draft
    Georgetown - Several key guys transferred mid season; Yurtseven, Mosely, and Allen all graduating
    Marquette - Howard and Anim gone; not sure Garcia coming in and a couple of guys stepping up replaces that unless they are BIG steps forward
    Seton Hall - I mean they lose their 3 best players from this past season and have no impact recruits coming in
    Xavier - Jones and Goodin gone; wild card team if Scruggs finally puts it together and Freemantle continues to grow, but Jones was easily their best player this past season
    Providence - Diallo, Pipkins, White, and Young all graduating; have some young talent and a couple of transfers but again, they are losing their two best players

We are definitely going to have our ups and downs next year, but it could be a down year for many teams across the league, so a path to 9-9 or 10-8 in conference play is definitely on the table.

znelson15, NateDog, #60 and 3 others like this.
  5. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,941
    As long as we have other inside/outside threats, that should allow Thompson to penetrate and create. But even taking a few a la Nored back in the day would make his man come out and maybe give him even more of a chance to use his first step to his advantage. Nored wasn't above 28% until his senior year, but still was a threat to put it up if teams left him open. I feel like he (and Nze, for that matter) should just let that part of the game flow to them. Have seen both shoot it more than passably in warmups.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,008
    100%. As per usual, we can count on Nova being very good. That's just way it is. I didn't watch a ton of Uconn this year, so I don't know how strong they will be. But to your point, with what will be our depth, we should be able to at worst finish middle of the pack. Having a returning PG and your front court returning is a huge thing. Losing Baldwin and McD sucks, but, Butler should be ok. It'll be a different look for sure though. Same with many. Gah, I wish it kicked off tomorrow.

7. dawgy dawgy

dawgy dawgy Active Member

Money:
    $247
    Of course tucker is the key, you have a man crush on him. Just curious when will your next rumor pop into your head? Also how many of these have you got right? Maybe 1/18? All it’s doing is having a negative impact when you try to gain attention by starting these rumors.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. dawgy dawgy

Money:
    $247
    Having a point guard with experience should put us at the top of the list of these teams to start. I think seton hall will be awful next year

9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,045
    John's is going to be better than people think and significantly better than DePaul.

Here's how Torvik sees it in his way-early projections for next season:
    1. Creighton (3rd overall)
    2. Villanova (13)
    3. UConn (25)
    4. Xavier (40) (His projection assumes Naji stays and has him projected to be their best player; Naji posted on his Instagram 10 days ago that he was leaving. Will be interesting to see if the COVID issues affect his plans. If Naji leaves, they're going to suck.)
    5. Providence (41) (I think Providence could be really tough next year, FWIW)
    6. St. John's (51)
    7. Butler (53)
    8. Hall (61) (No way they actually end up this high - that team is going to be trash.)
    9. Marquette (78) - yikes
    10. Georgetown (84)
    11. DePaul (128)

10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,809
    Xavier may also lose Naji Marshall but their core of Scruggs, Tandy, Carter and Fremantle are solid. They will probably back fill with the transfers.I saw on verbal commits that Xavier has 39 offers out for 2021!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,045
    I hope Carter gets 7 years of eligibility.

Agree Scruggs and Fremantle can play though. Tandy has potential, but he’s got a lot of improving to do. He did only one thing well this year: shoot the three. He was pretty bad at everything else (FTs, 2s, rebounding, etc). But obviously, he was only a freshman. He’s got a lot of promise.

12. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,203
    Not so sure about the St. John's love...they lose Heron, but return Figueroa, Dunn, and Champagnie. That's a decent group but still screams bottom 3-4 teams in the conference to me unless Champagnie really takes a jump forward.

Forgot to include UConn in my OP, but I would definitely put them in the top 5 heading into next season, despite the fact that they LITERALLY just lost Alterique Gilbert to the transfer portal.

13. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,859
    I’ve said this before and I’ll say this again, I have a hard time imagining us as a tournament team next year. Tucker, Battle and one or more of the freshman will have to be really good. That’s a lot of hoping. I don’t see where the scoring will come from. I don’t think we’ll be awful, though I do think the tourney is being slightly optimistic. I think it’ll still be entertaining to watch the young pups grow but I doubt we’re very good.

The dream scenario is Battle grows up and averages double figures. One of Scooby or Tate gives us a Baldwin-like freshman year. Then Coles gives us what Chrabs did his first year. If that happens, I take back everything I said above. That’s a lot of what-ifs.

I’m pretty confident Tucker is what he is at this point.

14. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $834
    Just going through this thread for the first time and have the following feedback.

I'm afraid we're overestimating the impact of Battle. As others indicated, he was given plenty of opportunities this year and displayed nothing. His HS career was ho-hum, at least if you measure it by the success of his team. Granted, he was one of BU's highest rated recruits but in my mind his resume was built largely on YouTube dunk videos. I've seen nothing from him on-court his freshman year or in HS to be encouraged about.

Conversely, I think we're greatly underestimating how good next year's freshman class will be. Scooby is ready to play 3 positions right now and will be good for 15+ quality minutes per game worst case. He's one of the 5 finalists for Michigan Mr. Basketball for gosh sake. He is gamer with a college-ready body and makes his teammates better.

And I really think we're really giving the short shrift on Tate. Jeepers, he's the best player on the #2 ranked HS Team in the United States. He knows how to play basketball (unlike Battle) and will contribute immediately at the 1 and 2. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get more minutes next year than Battle (after which Battle will probably transfer).

Finally, as others have noted, Coles has the body and skills to be ready to contribute immediate minutes spelling the Bryces, which is something we didn't have last year after CD went out.

Given the losses of some of the other Conference teams, I don't think its inconceivable to imagine next year's team being a middle of the pack Big East team and fringe Tournament team.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    BUcheer, 2xDawg and godogs91 like this.
  15. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,941
    Good comments. I'm not ready to give up on Battle yet. Hopefully he is looking forward to working hard this summer and making a nice jump from Year 1 to Year 2, and hopefully he also realizes there will be a number of new Dawgs nipping at his heels.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

BoyGeoff likes this.
  16. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,859
    You could be right on Battle. Doubt it, though. I still think he has the highest upside of any player to put on a Butler uniform. If he works his ass off, he could be a guy who’s awful as a freshman, okay as a sophomore, and then is showing up in nba mock drafts by the end of his junior year.

2xDawg and BoyGeoff like this.
  17. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,008
    Battle is a curious case. I was one of his biggest fans coming in and who the hell wouldn't want a 6'5 SG? But we saw what we saw this past season and it makes you wonder. I hope he stays and becomes a major player. Just seemed to lack that confidence/assurity this year which led to many underwhelming performances.

I still don't get the benching down the stretch though. Blame it on being sick, but everyone moved above him in the pecking line. What happened?

The kid is talented. Big time. Let's hope it's found and found on our watch.

18. dawgy dawgy

Money:
    $247
    What happened was we got down to the last stretch of the season and Henry baddley stepped up and played very good to the point where he couldn’t put battle in. Baddley was great vs X. Other games he really stepped up as a senior leaving his final mark. Put being sick on top of that and probably missing more than 1 practice.
    I’d not forget about all of KBs game winners and the only person more excited than me in my living room was Battle. Unless it’s just a homesick thing I don’t think he’s gone. There hasn’t been on clue to suggest it, seems silly to even talk about. Hopefully it’s not another rumor you start because you’re bored.

jeff likes this.
  19. xufan02

xufan02 Active Member

Money:
    $134
    As it pertains to Xavier. Naji is likely gone to pursue a professional career.

Projected Starters:
    PG: KyKy Tandy - Sophomore
    SG: Paul Scruggs - Senior
    SF: Colby Jones - Freshman
    F: Jason Carter - Senior
    C: Zach Freemantle - Sophomore

Bench:
    PG: Dwon Odom - Freshman
    SG: CJ Wilcher - Freshman
    F: Dontarius James - Junior
    C: Dionte Miles - Redshirt Freshman
    PF: Daniel Ramsey - Redshirt Freshman

So essentially you return 3 starters and your sixth man. Also like Butler, Xavier has a very good freshman class, and two redshirt freshmen that could contribute. I also imagine they try to add a grad transfer and a sit out transfer.

Young, but the pieces fit better, and a lot more shooting on this roster.

2xDawg likes this.
  20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,045
    I just wonder if the state of the world will impact his plans to pursue a professional career.