20-21 Look ahead

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, Mar 18, 2020.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,315
    We'd literally be final four contenders in 21-22 if this is the case. We'd easily be 8-9 deep of ballers with plenty more that could contribute. Would be the deepest team we've seen to date.

2. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,050
    I don’t think Golden wants to be in college more than 4 years. He turned down a chance to red shirt previously.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

seadawg and estar20dawg like this.
  3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,550
    You might be right, but there is a big difference between an offer to sit for a year now and play an extra year several years later and an offer to play another year now.

Nobody wants to commit to going 20 months without playing in a game (from SR year HS to soph year in college), even if some can be talked into it.

4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,696
    I have no idea what he wants, but I do interact regularly with a significant number of college juniors and seniors - many of whom are feeling robbed of this year. I'd say about 20 percent of them just want it to be over and to move on with their lives and probably half want a chance to do things over and have a regular year. It wouldn't surprise me if similar sentiments aren't running through the minds of a lot of college athletes. The opportunity to get an extra year might be enticing now where the idea of five or six years in college was not appealing at 18. And as we've already seen, some players do just want to move on to the next phase of their life as soon as possible.

5. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,233
  6. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,876
    I'll tell you what, Chuck and Tate look great, man are we in for a treat with those two...And with the extra year rule you can run Wilmoth out there in some game situations to develop instead of an all out RS, developing and getting game experience. Didn't really love what I saw from Mulloy, but Golden looks great

7. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,315
    Yeah JMM...just not a good player yet. He against Golden is a monster mismatch. Not sure he'll ever get there. Coles and Wilmoth prob jump him (Coles this year, Wilmoth eventually) so it'll be up to him how he wants to proceed but I don't see much in the way as minutes are concerned for him.

Our future at guard is going to be outstanding and very fun for all of us.

8. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,620
    The drills focused on right hand shooting. JMM is lefthanded, but Golden appears to be a brute.

9. WDLTH

WDLTH Member VIP Member

Money:
    $98
    Willis, first, sorry about what you have going on personally. 2020 sucks. I lost my Dad to Covid in August. I'm thinking about you.

When I saw the eligibility has been extended a year I was ecstatic and did the same as you and thought what a great team we might have in 21-22. However, this rule could have a huge unknown impact on college basketball. Think about how many more grad transfers there will be. There's just going to be more players available across the board, not just to us. We have a lot of Seniors, so we could definitely benefit if Thompson, Hodges, Nze, and Bolden want to come back. Power teams with no seniors (think UK, Duke) will bring in heralded Freshman and have more grad transfers at their disposal. I bet you'll have more 5th year seniors/grad transfers willing to make a move from other power conferences, not just the mid majors.

I haven't completely thought through the impacts, but your comment sent my mind down the rabbit hole of what other dominoes might fall.

10. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,315
    Thank you for the thoughts and my condolences on your pop. 2020 cannot leave here soon enough.

To your point it won't be a perfect science and what will be interesting is if players that can have an extra year WANT the extra year. To me though where it moves the needle is that it has made Butler attempt a waiver on Hodges so we can have a complete starting lineup of upper classman and have that wing position taken care of for this year. It simply makes us more competitive. And also, even though I believe Hodges can play at this level as is, it gives him a full season of power conference basketball and not feel like he's being rushed to eligibility. Now he has two years (maybe, if the waiver passes) at this level.

11. I like turtles

I like turtles Well-Known Member

Money:
    $600
    Golden is such a beast. It's amazing how much attitude makes such a huge difference in college basketball.

Compare him with Brunk. About the same size (weight), stats and skills. Yet Golden's toughness makes him much more valuable as a teammate. Golden's drive is infectious and undoubtedly makes the team better

willisbrown likes this.
  12. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,180
    Is the extra year of eligibility rule we're talking about a sure thing?

13. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,050
    He was not offered an initial red shirt. He was injured the 1st half of his freshman season. Jordan offered to red shirt him the entire season but he chose to come back and play in January.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,550
    Does that change the point, though?

15. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $399
    Its two completely different things. The first is asking someone to sit and not play when they could for another year later. The second is asking someone to just stay another year. He said no to sitting out.

16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,550
    I’d venture to guess Golden is significantly stronger than Brunk, and that difference in strength/body composition is confused with attitude.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  17. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,191
    Agree that Bryce appears stronger, but trust me, his game attitude is “tougher” than Joey’s.

BU Fan in Illinois likes this.
  18. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,550
    I believe that and I do think you can see some of that. But I do think simply being a lot stronger makes the same move look a lot more aggressive, even if the mindset is the same. Brunk isn’t moving anyone around no matter how “mean” he is.

19. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,191
    Agreed. Joey still gets in foul trouble too much as his body control isn’t good—a result of lack of strength perhaps. We’ll see what he brings to his senior season, though. The hunger/attitude may elevate. Wish well for Joey except, of course, at the Crossroads.

2xDawg likes this.
  20. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,921
    Wait, is no one going to acknowledge that Title posted? Like wtf dude, we’re dealing with 2020 over here and you think you can just drop in?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

BU_NeonHat and Tentozen like this.