20-21 Look ahead

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $384
    Lot of people struggling right now but fortunately it’s a pretty great year for me personally. Not a lot of basketball to bring me to this board though. We’re back though. Hopefully they get Hodges available so we can win some games

Shimmy, 2xDawg and BoyGeoff like this.
  2. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,310
    Title—you and I have gone around a bit, but when you contribute like your earlier post re: Golden—that had some good insight on the nuance of the decision making.

3. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,248
    Cold stone silence, persistent indifference, call it what you will, but I believe it's the perfect response.

Yes, I realize even responding to your post runs a bit counter to what I'm saying.

4. fchd

fchd Member

Money:
    $91
    Matt Norlander has just tweeted that ESPN have cancelled all of their Orlando-based events "due to complications and lack of agreement on Covid-19 testing and protocols put forth by Disney".

5. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $17,639
    Interesting. I'm at Disney now and they are very strict on their protocols, so that surprises me. They are like hawks if someone takes off their masks. I'm guessing its more they wouldn't pay for testing procedures for the event?

6. fchd

fchd Member

Money:
    $91
    I think you've knocked the nail on the head there Jared. It's (some of the) teams that can't accept all the Disney protocols rather than the other way around.

Allegedly there are two areas where the teams and Disney don't see eye to eye,

1) Re-testing someone who has previously been Covid-19 positive

2) What happens if someone becomes positive on site. Disney want the player to isolate on site for 14 days at the team's expense, some of the teams want to be able to get the player the hell out of there a.s.a.p.

7. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,063
    Out of curiosity, from a coaching perspective, how does a CBB coach survive an entire game without pulling down his mask? This is one sport where the coaching staff is constantly barking signals and adjustments to players across the court. I guess little to no crowds should help, but just seems weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

dippper61 likes this.
  8. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,555
    When I went to one of the practices, a couple years ago, LaVall's voice didn't seem to carry that much to begin with. They probably can't hear much, of anything, he is saying while wearing a mask.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,335
  10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,790
    Give me Hodges and we become a top 6 team.

BURph92, bumba and BoyGeoff like this.
  11. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,310
    I can’t believe the players can hear anything—the volume at court level during the game is much louder than you might expect. But those players have their ears attuned to the coaches‘ voices—always surprised how well they pick them up.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  12. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,063
    Look at how LaVall yells. His mouth is extremely wide open, being extremely deliberate in mouthing what he is saying (think exaggerated lip reading). This, I think, is what is getting me. Maybe I didn’t phrase that first comment correctly.

13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,582
  14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,582
    Agree, looking at those teams I think it's reasonable to think being inside the top 6 gets in March Madness. We'll see if the Hall & Marquette can reload after losing their top scorer like we did.

15. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,725
    I agree with the Hodges assessment as well. Three questions: 1. Any idea when an answer might be handed down? 2. Do you guys feel good about his chances of being allowed to play this season? 3. Are there any other BE teams with a waiver request for a transfer who could also benefit nicely this year?

16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,790
    I have no idea on request time, but they've been very liberal with their approvals/waivers...I'd guess in the next couple weeks before things get rolling. For now I'd be giving him plenty of starting reps. He makes this a "full" team so to speak. Give me he and Bolden on the wings with a strong front court...we may surprise some.

17. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,377
    Don't forget the most experienced and best defensive point guard in the conference (maybe country). He's a hell of a floor general too.

jeff, #60 and seadawg like this.
  18. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,454
    1. Impossible to know an actual timeline. LaVall basically just said today that it'll be out of their hands with the waiver. But Hodges is a great character guy and everyone seems to love him in the locker room. When I say that he's going to be an awesome culture fit, he's going to be an awesome culture fit. He doesn't help solve the spacing issues but would give Butler another scorer and someone who can create for himself. I have my full Hodges breakdown already written for when/if a waiver goes through.

2. I feel good about his chances but not great. I'll hit on this more in the Hark's Bark tomorrow. While I don't know if he has a great "case", over 95% of requests have been approved so far to my knowledge.

3. Xavier is waiting on Ben Stanley as well as Adam Kunkel. Those are the most notable that come to my brain now that Goodine received his this morning.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    seadawg likes this.
  19. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,725
    Thanks guys. Will keep my fingers crossed.

20. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $438
    It looked like they were wearing masks while practicing. Will they be wearing masks while playing? I can't imagine how soggy those masks will get.

PharmDawg2020 likes this.