2016-2017 Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $11,703
    If we get heavily penalized for the ISU loss you can pretty much say goodbye to home and home series with mid/low major schools. I think the committee will be more forgiving than normal with that loss and Indiana's low at Fort Wayne because they don't want to discourage those games.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Active Member

Money:
    $187
    I hope you are right. There needs to be some amount of fairness and credibility when it comes to scheduling for NCAA basketball.

3. BUBandGeek

BUBandGeek Member

Money:
    $2
    That ISU loss just chaps my ass so bad. St. John's isn't a good loss by any means, but look how many teams loss conference road games (or even home). That's to be expected, and if we had only dropped the one game to SJU at this point in the schedule I think we'd all agree it's not too damaging in the big picture. But ISU is SO BAD, that loss is simply inexcusable in my mind. Like others have said, perhaps it provided some terrific lessons and gave us the spark needed to close out some other tough games. I hope so, because otherwise traveling to Terre Haute did us zero good.

4. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,333
    I think this big win over Minn should jump State back up in the conversation

Sent from my SM-G900V using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Active Member

Money:
    $665
    Still have to beat @ Ohio state on Sunday. If they do, they could be receiving some votes next week!

6. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,333
    SpartanDawgs likes this.
  7. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Active Member

Money:
    $197
    Indiana State got blown out again, Drake (4-12 going into the game) beat them by 17

8. troggy

troggy Active Member

Money:
    $293
    Yeesh, Drake is awful.

9. bmradio99

bmradio99 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,180
    Stating the obvious probably, but should we just accept that the 16-17 Butler squad is an awful road team?
    • @ Utah: Win vs decent team...but if the Utes shoot just 30% (still below their 0.329 season average) from 3-pt (instead of 15% on 6-of-20), it's a tie game.
    • @ ISU: Loss to a bad team
    • @ St. John's: Loss to a bad team
    • @ Georgetown: horrid first half, OT win against a mediocre team
    • @ Creighton: atrocious performance against an elite team
    Home/neutral performances have been generally positive! But this trend can't continue in league play.

10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $391
    Personally, with that effort last night, to me it puts Saturday in real doubt. But, let's hope for the best, I think it's a toss up...after that though:

Marquette at home, DePaul in Chicago, SH in NJ, Gtown at home...those are four we should take...then Creighton at home (loss)...then back to backs at Marquette and Providence, two teams we are clearly better than, but, big east, on the road...yada yada. Then a nice back to back with DePaul and SJ at Hinkle, Nova on the road (loss) Xavier on the road (loss), SH at home...my hope is to go 10-4 the rest of the way, which would land us at 12-6...a decent BE seed and a lock for a top 5ish (seed wise) spot in the dance.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  11. noltar

noltar Active Member

Money:
    $132
    I'm not quite ready to chalk up a loss at home to Creighton quite yet. Yeah, it looked like night and day between the teams last night but Butler has obviously played better at home than the road this season and Creighton hasn't really been tested with a road game against a good team yet. We'll see I guess.

12. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $391
    It's a match up thing with me...and a tempo thing. We match up terribly and we played right into their hands (everyone does) last night. That was the 180 of what needed to happen. So I'm not sure I care if it's road, home, neutral, I just think it's the worst match up for us in the big east. Someone had mentioned 2013 SLU...damn near perfect analogy. No matter, we couldn't beat them. I feel the same with this year's Creighton team. Just a poor match up. We've proven we can beat whoever, but that is just one that makes me feel icky.

13. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Active Member

Money:
    $197
    That's putting it mildly, they are #238 on Kenpom

14. Sonbog

Sonbog Active Member

Money:
    $2,894
    Drake is 5 - 12 overall. They are 3 - 2 in the Missouri Valley Conference. Their coach resigned when they were 1 - 7; the new coach is 4 - 5 overall. He may be turning them around.

When Indiana State beat Butler, they were satisfied. The teams they play are hungry. I don't expect Indiana State to win many more games this season.

15. troggy

troggy Active Member

Money:
    $293
    Yeah, good point. They do seem to be playing better under their new coach.

16. Colin Taylor

Colin Taylor Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $233
    Just wondering this but what the hell is free throw defense?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator

Money:
    $146
    [​IMG]

Free throw defense is essentially your opponent's free throw percentage. Has absolutely nothing to do with defense at all, just measures how well your opponents shot free throws during games facing that particular team.

thevinrod, bmradio99 and willisbrown like this.
  18. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $11,703
    Opponents FT percentage. A team can have a a very small impact on it by being smart and avoiding fouling good FT shooters and being more aggressive against poor FT shooters, but for the most part it's simply a measure of luck.

19. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,889
    What? A normal post?

UDDawg and butlernut like this.
  20. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Active Member

Money:
    $3,179
    It sounds like the points-scored against fantasy football line. There is no control over it aside from keeping a team from shooting free throws (like Wednesday night, I guess).