2016-2017 Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Oct 11, 2016.

1. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Active Member

Money:
    $138
    For the people that follow, you can see a chart of the Big East results at the link below. It keeps track of the conference standings, home/away results, and (for the purposes of tie-breaking procedures for the tournament) if a team sweeps, is swept by, or splits with another team in the conference. I update it each night after all games are played. If any corrections need to be made, please let me know.

2017 Big East Standings

SRG, #60 and butlernut like this.
  2. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,335
    Nice work

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops

3. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Active Member

Money:
    $202
  4. steve

steve Member

Money:
    $130
    I think this is probably the best thread for this post. The BE homepage posted an entire article about Butler yesterday.
    Holtmann really gets the "Butler Way", and we should all feel really fortunate that he didn't try to change the system after only serving here for one year as an assistant.

“It really helps when you have high-level kids, quality kids,” Holtmann said. “We talk a lot in recruiting about recruiting guys who kind of get over themselves. And I think when you have guys who can get over themselves and understand that they are a part of something, inevitably it does lead to good chemistry. We’ve been fortunate that we’re part of a program here where that had been the template for our success. These guys really embrace what we’re about. I’ve been really pleased with them and what it’s led to is a lot of great moments for them individually. But I think what they really sought after is our team being successful.”

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2017/2/23/MBB_0223171845.aspx

5. butlernut

Money:
    $1,335
    Steve, I posted this same thing in the "Big East Conversation" board. It is great. I really like what Jay Wright said. CH has to be COY for the BEast. I posted a thread asking people to challenge that, and no one can come up with a better candidate for COY in the BEast. I also think if we get to Elite 8 or Final 4, he becomes a National COY contender (even more than he is now). That will lead to more offers trying to lure him away from Butler.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,199
    I'm not sure who is more deserving of National COY.

7. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $217
    I can think of Josh Pastner of Georgia Tech and Scott Drew at Baylor as other contenders...

8. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $714
    My Top 3:

Mark Few
    Scott Drew
    Chris Holtmann

Sleeper Pick: Gregg Marshall

Dawgs2412 likes this.
  9. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Active Member

Money:
    $138
    Holtmann buying into and having success with the system makes me think it'll be harder to lure him away than some people realize. He is a team coach, not a star coach. The star players who are selfish players are the recruits he'd be expected to get at an IU-type situation, but I don't think they'd want to play for him and I don't think he'd necessarily want to coach them. Maybe I'm being naive.

10. butlernut

Money:
    $1,335
    I agree that Few needs to be considered. While Zags play in weak conference, they aren't just winning games. They are dominating games. They would be scary in any conference this year. Few has built a long term key for success and he seems happy to stay in Spokane for a while.

11. estar20dawg

Money:
    $217
    Agreed I left out Few he needs to be in there, but how is Josh Pastner not in your top 3?? That's a bit absurd considering they were supposed to be the doormats of the ACC this year, in his first year with none of his players to be in consideration for an NCAA tourney appearance he needs to be in the top 3 for NCOY

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,068
    Yeah. This.

I'm not naive either. People make moves to enhance their personal situations all the time. This is natural & good. I won't blame Chris if such an option comes his way.

But such options--with the tangibles & intangibles that being Butler's head coach provide--are few & far between. Gmoser1210's comment & the attached article (sorry if it's been posted elsewhere) incline me to think that it'll take an overwhelming option &/or an implosion within Butler's Athletic Department for him to easily leave.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/Butler-notes--Bulldog-coach--grateful--to-be-where-he-is

13. bmradio99

bmradio99 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,183
    Sports Illustrated (our buddy Seth Davis) does a really cool feature: analysis and opinions from opposing coaches, but anonymous. I have to say, Butler and the Big East (they profiled BU, X, Nova, and Creighton) are spot on, even the pretty harsh parts. (Amazing when it's coaches and not sportswriters how good the analysis is.) No team is without flaws, but someone always finds a way to win each game despite them.
    http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/02/27/big-east-sec-pac-12-scouting-reports-ncaa-tournament

Butler
    “The rules have hurt them because back in the day with Brad Stevens, they were the most physically defensive team in the country. They can’t really play that way anymore. On offense, they’re versatile, but they’re slow. They’re vulnerable when they’re not making threes because their best interior scorer is 6’ 6”. A long, athletic team would disrupt them. Anybody with a good point guard and five man will hurt them, because they are very vulnerable on the one-five ball screen. [Tyler] Wideman is the most physical dude in the Big East, but he’s not good on the ball screen.
    Every time [Kelan] Martin touches it, he wants to score. He’s left-hand dominant and not a great ballhandler, so you want to send him right. He doesn’t guard squat. I don’t think he cares about guarding. If the ball isn’t going through the basket for him, his body language changes. [Kamar] Baldwin is gonna be a b----. He just has to get more strength. He makes a lot of mistakes. You just have to stay in front of [Tyler] Lewis. He’s not a blow-by guy.”

14. estar20dawg

Money:
    $217
    I think that was a few weeks ago on Martin, he's played so much harder on the defensive side...

15. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $744
    I hope somebody like TJ sees this and posts a copy on KM's locker just to emphasize why he's been successful the past 2 weeks and he can keep perspective.

bmradio99 likes this.
  16. butlernut

Money:
    $1,335
    And for the record, this is what a coach somewhere in the conference said about Martin (and Butler). Seth didn't say this. Seth posted this about Butler at the end of his rankings:

"Butler also makes a strong re-entry after wins at Villanova (giving them a sweep of the Wildcats) and at Xavier. I was actually more impressed with the win at Xavier because that is exactly the type of game, especially on the road, where a team coming off a huge win is ripe for a letdown. Whatever you want to say about these Bulldogs, they are as mentally tough as any team in the country."

bmradio99 and troggy like this.
  17. butlernut

Money:
    $1,335
    Dawgs2018, bmradio99 and troggy like this.
  18. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,747
    Baldwin not winning BE Freshman of the Week is criminal.

butlernut likes this.
  19. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $920
    bmradio99 and butlernut like this.
  20. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $714
    Anyone know how many times Baldwin has won BE Freshman of the Week?

Edit: looks like twice.