2017-18 Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Jun 1, 2017.

1. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,853
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Joe Lunardi just released a new bracketology, now that most rosters are pretty much finalized for next season.

Big East

Villanova - 2 seed
    Butler - 5 seed
    Xavier - 5 seed
    Seton Hall - 6 seed
    Providence - 9 seed
    Creighton - 9 seed

Crossroad Classic
    Notre Dame - 3 seed
    Purdue - 7 seed

PK80
    Duke - 1 seed
    Texas - 10 seed
    Florida - 2 seed
    Gonzaga - 5 seed

UNC - 3 seed
    Arkansas - 11 seed
    Oklahoma - 10 seed
    Michigan St - 2 seed
    Oregon - 8 seed
    UConn - Next 4 Out

2. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $323
    Putting Texas as a 10 and Oregon as an 8 surprises me. By the end of the year, I would think they would be in or close to the top 25.

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,348
    I would bet we end up closer to missing the tournament than having a top 20 resume', but here's to hoping Joey Brackets is right.

4. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,348
    I haven't looked over Oregon's roster as much as Texas's, but I thought both those projected seeds were generous. I thought either one of the seeds might be more spot if that program received Tugs commitment, but that doesn't seem likely now...

5. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,228
    Oregon lost a ton, obviously. They'll take a step back, but they return some key pieces, add a quality transfer in Elijah Brown and bring in a solid recruiting class (Troy Brown might go Lottery in 2018). So I think they'll be good.

You can see their roster on their Wikipedia page, FYI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Oregon_Ducks_men's_basketball_team

EDIT: Didn't realize Boucher was graduating and Benson transferred. Well, maybe they might not be good haha

6. bu97

bu97 Super Moderator

Money:
    $270

bmradio99 likes this.
  7. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $570
    Best guesses for next years starting lineup now that KY is gone?

I'm thinking
    1- Jorgenson (AT by seasons end)
    2- Kamar
    3- David
    4- Kelan
    5- Wideman

Or

1- Jorgenson
    2- Kamar
    3- Kelan
    4- Wideman
    5- Brunk

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

jeff likes this.
  8. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $508
    Other than Kelan and Kamar for sure starting, there are a LOT of possible options.

9. Red1972

Red1972 Active Member

Money:
    $464
    It will be fun! Let's go LaVall and company.

10. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,566
    I see no scenario where TW does not start barring injury. I consider him the defensive anchor for the team.

11. schoops

schoops Active Member

Money:
    $407
    We have the potential to be the best ever been in years defensively. Should be interesting. Martin playing more 4 will mean more opportunities to play for the freshmen guards as well. Let's hope a couple are really ready to go.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,381
    Yeah. With good depth but no standouts at most positions, plus a new coach, I expect some weird lineups until conference play starts, and maybe even after if the team hits a speedbump or two.

Addendum: probably the only one I'm sure about is Kamar at the 2 with Jorgensen at the 1, which means it's absolutely not going to happen. :)

13. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,853
    SpartanDawgs likes this.
  14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,348
    I think this is almost certainly the lineup at the beginning of the season. If David is ready to defend as a freshman (tall order) and Jorgenson has made some progress and his year off (other than his serious gains in the weight room), it could be a solid lineup. I think our ceiling this year is mostly controlled by David. If he comes back fully rebounded from surgery and plays like the top 75 player he was once billed as, it could be a fun year.

I think it's also possible the starting lineup on day 1 could be

Jorgenson
    Kamar
    Butler
    Kelan
    Wideman

I think it'll come down to who's more ready to defend at an adequate level by the start of the season (David vs Butler).

We probably can't rule out that Thompson gets the starting job from day 1. I know he's a freshman, but if he's the defender many claim he is, that may not matter. He's not going to score a lot of points - maybe ever - but if he can defend and doesn't turn it over (and his reputation as a defender and game manager suggest that may be the case), it may be hard to keep him off the court (of course, this assumes that Jorgensen hasn't become a lock down defender in his year off - he wasn't a particularly good or bad defender at GW.)

15. Dunhamfor3

Dunhamfor3 Member

Money:
    $129
    An interesting lineup going into the Big East would be.

1 Kamar
    2 Butler
    3 David
    4 Martin
    5 Wideman

If JB can handle the ball a bit this would give us a lot more beef to hit the boards and have excellent ball movement.

Brunk first off the bench and can slide every one down a spot. Jorge can play the Tyler Lewis role and maybe Neese can fill in for Woodson off the bench

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

16. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $162
    Jorgensen isn't going to enjoy the 'been around' advantage he would have had under the previous staff. Everyone is, essentially, on equal footing now. Couple that with everything I have heard about him the last couple years puts him closer to Jackson Aldridge than anything else, I don't see him starting --- Day 1 or otherwise.

I think Martin, Wideman, and Martin are 100% locks to start; but after that, I don't think I'd put a higher probability on anyone other than Thompson.

What is interesting is the final spot. I think its going to probably be pretty frustrating for a while, but I think it will ultimately end up being David because Butler can back up essentially every position and Wideman can't play the four, so that cancels out Fowler at the 5.

So...

Thompson
    Baldwin
    David
    Martin
    Wideman

Fowler
    Jorgenson
    Butler
    Neese

17. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $323
    Where's Brunk? I know he is still going to be soft but hopefully he should see some minutes. Also Mcdermott will too. Everyone has their own opinon on him but you have to give him some minutes for the effort and commit he gives. Hopefully his defense improves this year.

18. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $940
    Another consideration is rebounding. Rebounding killed us at times last year (especially Fowler, but Wideman was not great by my recollection). Having somebody with Butler's build surely helps in rebounding. Although David is considered more of an offensive threat (probably our 3rd option), I think an X factor is his rebounding. If we want to play our best offensive lineups with him and Martin at the 3/4, he has to rebound well.

19. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $162
    I don't know....I got to 9 and hardly anyone plays more than 9. I don't see either of them in that 9, based on needs. Nothing more than that.

20. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,231
    I think I want to see how Baddley has adjusted this year, if he can give us anything, I much prefer him to McDermott. I really think Brunk is going to be ahead of Fowler and Wideman at some point this year. The lineups sure are going to be interesting, I like the idea of having KB, AT, JGB, CD,KM with a full court pick up and full back into a a 3-2 or 1-2-1

willisbrown likes this.