2017-18 Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Jun 1, 2017.

1. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Active Member

Money:
    $470
    I don't understand the mancrush on him, I just don't. Evaluate the player please...we have walk ons that have "effort" doesn't mean they are good defenders or even great basketball players. I didn't just say he was an elite defender, I said he wasn't a good defender either...Effort is great, I love effort and heart and work ethic but that doesn't make you a good defender or a good basketball player. If that was the case I'd be playing professionally in what 3 sports and I'm sure along with everyone on this board. Just evaluate base on what you see from a scout...If I'm a coach and I see TW guarding a perimeter player I'm going there. If I see McD on a wing or guard I'm going there...Unfortunately, he's going to have to play and play well if we are going to have success due to the loss of Young. He's not the second coming of Dunham. Yes, he will improve, god we need him to improve or we might be in trouble this year. The only way we are going to be the best team we can be this year if we get AT and CD to where we need them to be. To play at the highest level this year it needs to be AT, KB, KM, CD, and a combo of the 3 big, with PJ and Bads and McD off the bench

2. harvesting

harvesting New Member

Money:
    $20
    Any D1 scholarship athlete has earned their spot. It's a full time job and then some. They should all have some degree of success and feel good about the progress they are and will continue to make. Each player will progress at their own pace based on SEVERAL factors. They have all been blessed with ability what THEY decide to do with that ability is what determines their greatness. They are human just like all the rest of us and some days/games they may struggle. For sure they would rather have nothing but great games but guess what that's not how life works. And you can bet your criticism pales in comparison to their own when they don't reach the level of achievement they expect of themselves. Even more so when they feel like they have failed their team, their coaches and yes, even you, their fair weathered fans. Team...they all work hard, when one is weak another should be there to step up and be strong. Again...your box, they don't live there.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    PSUButlerFan likes this.
  3. estar20dawg

Money:
    $470
    I coach, recruit and train D1 athletes, I know what I look for with development and their mindset, I have a masters with sports psychology, I know what to expect from D1 athletes...

4. harvesting

harvesting New Member

Money:
    $20
    Man crush...are you serious? You must be the one who made that same comment last year about Holtman. Who are you to think so highly of yourself and continually bash a kid...yes a kid you don't even know. You probably need to "get over yourself" and leave the coaching to the coaching staff that's what they are paid to do. I'm sure had they considered you and your qualifications you could probably coach all...what was it 3 of your sports. You're a joke.

5. harvesting

harvesting New Member

Money:
    $20
    You'll have to back that up with some proof dude. Lots of useless degrees being earned all over the place. And IF you really have an understanding of all that knowledge you claim to have then you'd be the one with the whats your term "mancrush" that kid has the mindset ANY coach, recruiter, master of sports psychology would love for EVERY athlete to have a 1/4 of. Get on YOUR game. Maybe you're just salty because you've missed the mark?

6. estar20dawg

Money:
    $470
    I don't know what you are on or how old you are or just got on this board, but you live in a world that doesn't exist. McD has long been a lightning rod for either side pro/con. Like I've said in the past probably before you are born, I'm rooting for him big time because we need him to step up. If you knew anything about being an impartial observer and take your rose colored glasses off and be able to give a critical analysis, you would see other points points. I don't know what you are talking about the whole Holtmann comment, but I've never been a big fan of his development or in-game coaching and think we are 10 times better with Lavall. IF you think giving a critical analysis as a bashing, you might need to look into the mirror and evaluate yourself. Kids today...Not everything is an assault on someone. There will always be people who do things better in all areas of life. You'll grow up and learn one day and I wish you the best luck in the world if you want to be taken seriously someday...

7. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,639
    I don't know if LaVall is a good coach or not, but it seems you may have some rose colored glasses of your own.

8. estar20dawg

Money:
    $470
    You thought Holtmann was a good developer aka Jackson Davis, or a game in game coach? Just curious, I'm not saying Lavall is the second coming but he has to be just as good as Holtmann was with how many Big East Tournament wins he had? I can't remember...oh yea 0...

9. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,020
    Psychology was the point I was making. Effort on defense is the one constant a team can have. I used Martin as an example. When his offense is not going well,his effort at the other end of the end suffers. That's pretty much the norm for many players. BU has won a ton of games when the offense wasn't exactly clicking. You say it is unfortunate McD will have to play. I say BU is fortunate to have him on the team to play.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  10. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,639
    Yeah you are right overachieving with recruiting classes ranked in the lower third of the Big East is the sure sign of a guy who can't game coach or maximize and develop talent.

11. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,664
    Other players get to improve, but players continually rotate in and out of College Basketball. Whatever point you are trying to make is a bad one. McDermott isn't going to be compared to the same group of kids for 4 straight years.

12. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,818
    McD is what he is. Let's hope for the best, but temper expectations. There's a reason that his playing time went down as the competition went up last year.

This is a new year.

Last season, no one on our team could guard any of the Creighton guards. Just what it is. Kellen Dunham was superb shooter, but he was a defensive liability that was never really addressed.

If the kid earns his minutes and he's the best we have, so be it. ****, start the season already, all this *****ing is making my head hurt.

13. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator

Money:
    $646
    I don't understand why people have to fall into one extreme or another on a player, especially when the season hasn't even begun. McDermott is going to give great effort, and I don't doubt that he has worked his tail off in the off season to get better, and at least the trip to Spain appears to show he has made progress with his shot. But we haven't even had an exhibition game yet and people are declaring that he's either going to be a good defender because of his effort to get better, or he'll be a bad defender because he was last season (especially on guards and wings).

Odds are, he won't be a better one-on-one defender because of his workouts in the gym during the off season. You can get quicker, but not likely leaps and bounds ahead of what he was last season. Where he can improve, and where he and pretty much everyone (aka, anyone not named Baldwin, Baddley or Thompson who have the athleticism to make up for a small mistake) need to get better is on their positioning, especially when their man doesn't have the ball. Maybe he has, and maybe he hasn't, but I don't think we can make definitive statements either way on what this team or individual players are going to be this year. There are way too many question marks once you get past the 3 returning starters, and there are even some questions as to how they'll (more specifically Baldwin) do in their new roles on the team.

DawgPoundMac and estar20dawg like this.
  14. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,055
    Has anyone heard if WISH-TV is going to pick up the exhibition games like they have in the past?

15. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,020
    No announcement yet.

16. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,643
    McD was pretty bad on D last year in our system. And that may or may not have been a factor in his playing time dropping later in the season. Who knows with Holtmann, who thought it was a brilliant move to bring the leading scorer and rebounder off the bench 6 to 7 minutes into each half. But McD sure as hell wasn't going to improve riding the bench. To McD's defense, we did not play team D last year. We played straight up the entire season. And, our middle was a sieve most of the time. Get by your man on the perimeter, which opponents did with some frequency against McD (and others), and our middle was wide open. Help defense sucked. Even double teams on the post with guys backing down were rare or non-existent. Anxious to see what Jordan and staff come up with on defense. Honestly, I don't recall, but I don't remember Michigan being a big power inside during Jordan's tenure there. I think they had some "serviceable" posts, by no one dominant. Weren't most of the best players wings and perimeter players? And that is why they ran up tempo to offset size limitations. Good smart coaches can mask some weaknesses on both ends of the court. I wouldn't get down on McD just yet, even though he'll never be a defensive ace. Hopefully, Jordan comes up with a system that won't show up these guys individually so much. Maybe Jordan will scheme more of a "help" man-to-man as opposed to Holtmann's mostly straight up style, which really exposed guys like McD. TBD.

17. harvesting

harvesting New Member

Money:
    $20
    I get it now...this is just a big load of assumptions. You assume you know just how everyone will measure up based on your limited knowledge about the player/person. I know you think you've got the degrees and for sure the ego to to justify your assumptions but maybe assuming is not really a strength for you or anyone for that matter. Your assumptions about me are way off. You're right I just recently created a profile, however I've watched this board for a really long time. Long enough to know this "impartial observer" you speak of (yourself) is anything but impartial or just an observer. Your very quick to judge and then run your mouth about it. Rose colored glasses..if wanting to see each one succeed and allowing them to be human while in the process is "rose colored" then so be it. As far as my age and ever being taken serious I don't need to toot my own horn to "earn" the respect of anyone with your mentality. However I too am educated with more than one degree. It's not a masters in sports psychology but if that entails expecting perfection where it can never exist, or making assumptions based on what you think you know, no thanks. Maybe you should look back at your psychology notes and what they have to say about the way you talk to and about someone. In my experience with kids, I have 3, (it turns out I wasn't born yesterday). My oldest is a junior at Butler, with an acedemic scholarship, had sports scholarship offers and decided not to pursue those in college. My second will graduate high school this year, also has academic as well as sports scholarship offers. My third is still in grade school and I don't know what his path will be but I can assure you if I tell him he will amount to nothing, or that the mistakes he made while learning the way last year will define his future he won't set his goals very high. So carry on with your negative assumptions and backhanded compliments if that's the best you can do. I'm going to continue to wear my "rose colored" glasses. Kids today...I know several really great ones, raised a couple and working on another. There is nothing wrong with criticism if it's constructive and with the right intention it's actually very important. I don't understand your intentions...you're opinion doesn't change anything. I don't really even know why I care except that your wrong and somebody needed to tell you.

The Hound likes this.
  18. estar20dawg

Money:
    $470
    Oh OK, wow now I see what you are saying... I don't know how I'll sleep tonight... All I got to say is I have mad respect for your kids. I'm done with the nothingness that you bring. Go Dawgs!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. harvesting

harvesting New Member

Money:
    $20
    Hahaha! You're so cool I wish we were friends. But I'll take the win with your simply positive "Go Dawgs!". And be thankful I'll never truly know who you are.

The Hound and seadawg like this.
  20. shoeevv

shoeevv Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $165

Has everyone forgotten that BU was a Sweet Sixteen team last year? Nobody is happy that Chris left like he did, but there's no question the Dawgs over performed last year. Stop the "Fake History". I hope LJ and this year's team crush it, but there's a lot of work to do going forward.

harvesting and seadawg like this.