2017-18 Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Jun 1, 2017.

1. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,650
    Oh, I wasn’t really worked up. Just oddd for 3 voters who previously ranked us to drop us from the polls when no one has really played anyone.

2. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,546
    Well, they were going to hire the Cock Lobster DJ for the intro, hype video, but he was too pricy for our athletic dept budget... that and they thought all the old ppl would leave after he hit the siren 10x

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  3. IndieDawg

IndieDawg New Member

Money:
    $1,677
    Wasn’t there for video but from the radio feed sounded like they were playing Run the Jewels which is pretty edgy for Butler and all the older fans

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $18,152
    Some people are getting way too worked up over people's opinion on the intro video. I don't think anyone is "pissed" - sorry for thinking it should be better? Feels similar to a class project or something... the voiceover sounds like a kid did it and the music is a step down from last year. The ending is very odd too, cuts to black and then it's dead silent for a few seconds. The thing is ****ing cringeworthy and smacks of something out of the Horizon League. At least it's not UIC's lighting of the flame lol.

Agree with you on the history video though, it's amazing and brings the feels every time.

Dawgs2412 and SpartanDawgs like this.
  5. IrishDawghouse

IrishDawghouse New Member

Money:
    $50
    All I’m trying to say is, if you go to any other big time CBB program, their lineups and entrance includes turning the lights off, fire, anything really to get the crowd pumped up pregame. Even most high schools now a days make a big deal out of the intro right before the game because 1. The players think it’s awesome (and in our case, the recruits) and 2. what’s home court advantage without a rowdy crowd? Just a really lazy attempt by whoever threw it together in 10 minutes this year. Even last years was 10x better

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. NateDog

NateDog Member

Money:
    $126
    The good news is, at least last year, they had a new intro ready for the start of Big East play using game footage from the non conference schedule. Last years post Big East play video (the one we're all talking about) was significantly better than the pre Big East play video.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  7. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,225
    Yeah but the footage is not the problem. It’s the voice, dialogue, the awkward dark silence at the end, and possibly the music.

dippper61 likes this.
  8. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $97
    Not much of a fan of any pre-game / during-game hyper marketing. Went to Pacer games for years. I saw drum lines, sections of people acting like morons devoted to a player, Pacemates, Boomer, Bowser, DJ's, Fireworks, blah blah blah. I stopped going to Pacer games because they were awful. They did not have players I could stand behind. I like this year's Pacer's team. Seems like a group that likes to play together. Going to attend a few games this year.
    I will tolerate the A.D.D. geared noise. And, it is after all, just noise intended to further distract over-active minds. Would be a true experience to let the game and how it is played determine the noise level. When that occurs, we have a "true sport experience". Gotta say when the Pacers were contenders with Reggie et al, the experience was tremendous.
    My visceral reaction to the new video was: "what was that "? It fell flat with a capital F. I think that means for me, it was pretty bad. Especially coming from someone that would prefer to let the game speak for itself. When Hinkle is at it's best (Gonzaga, Nova etc.) there is no place like it. Pre-game video or not. That's what it is all about.

9. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Active Member

Money:
    $487
    I think the point is if you’re going to do something, do it well. And we didn’t, really.

harvesting and bmradio99 like this.
  10. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,687
    Is this the video you guys are talking about ?

I agree it's not great, nor is it embarrassingly bad .

11. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,272
    Speaking of pregame and going back to dimming the lights, my friend who holds half my season tix, owns an electrical company specializing in commercial LED lighting said the complete fixtures would cost roughly $ 250 ea. with the current federal rebate. If the lights are capable of being lowered they could be installed for app. $50 ea. If not the cost would increase with lift equipment rental. The lights would last for decades. I believe we counted 8 that have already been replaced over the seating area. All of the main floor lights would need to be replaced.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 10:58 AM
  12. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,853
    Video is pretty uninspiring. First of all, you can’t hear the voiceover—that needs remixed somehow. Hard to get jacked up when you catch about every 5th word. I get that they are trying to create drama with the “turn off the noise” and the screen goes blank—but it’s anticlimactic. Come back with something after that super loud and a phrase the whole crowd can roar (at least the DP). The talent now ends it with “And get to work”—but what if he drew it out word by word and that word flashed on the board so we could all shout it? Like this: Get... To... Work!

Also not a fan of turning the lights down. The whole crowd is standing then anyway and I’d think the players like seeing fans on their feet making noise rather than being “isolated” on the court. Plus Hinkle gets outside light for day games unlike most venues if you were going for the drama of no lights.

One more thing: Can we get DP to link arms and sway or do something orchestrated during the video? Would be cool. And props to DP this year—really impressed with the numbers and the noise over previous years—keep it up!

13. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Active Member

Money:
    $487
    I’m almost positive they either cannot, or will not entertain the idea of replacing the light fixtures over the court. It’s not a cost issue, it’s a building/ historic preservation issue.

BUcheer likes this.
  14. joliebeth23

joliebeth23 Active Member

Money:
    $2,704
    All great ideas! Don't know if any DP officers are on here, but maybe they could make a suggestion about the video. Ending it with something they could chant, and orchestrating/choreographing it so it becomes a "thing" each game, would be awesome. You're right, they could repeat the "Get to Work" word-by-word or even use "Gritty Not Pretty."

bmradio99 likes this.
  15. DawgFan

DawgFan Member

Money:
    $119
    It just struck me that KB and AT are lefties (and I believe I read that Kamar is ambidextrous). Southpaws make up 10% of the population, so if this statistic holds true in basketball, 90% of players who will face KB and AT will be right-handed. For those who have played a lot of basketball, do lefties bring pros or cons on defense and offense? What would it be like for opposing teams to defend two athletic, left-handed guards?

16. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $11,638
    I really don’t think it matters to be honest. Maybe a very slight advantage to being a lefty, just because it’s habit for defenders to be guarding a righty, but nothing very significant.

17. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,178
    Actually, I think it does matter. There is the Bill Russell point of view, who wasn't particularly tall, nor a phenomenal leaper. He claimed a good part of his success as a shot blocker was, because he was left-handed. His dominant hand, the one he instinctively leads with, is directly opposite the one his opponent is shooting with. He doesn't have reach across the body, he might be a little quicker getting to the ball, and his hand might be extended just a little higher. I heard people say the same thing about David Robinson.

18. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,811
  19. DawgFan

DawgFan Member

Money:
    $119
    Thanks, guys, for your comments about "lefties."

20. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Active Member

Money:
    $194
    One big concern from the Maryland game is our defense. While we have a couple of good/elite guard defenders (Thompson/Baldwin), our wing/interior defense is atrocious. Martin and McDermott have among the slowest feet in the BE and Wideman cannot match up with many big men that are bigger stronger (and he’s our best). Lavall will have his work cut out for him to minimize these structural weaknesses.

Overall we are just undersized across the board and this will be a big factor this year. Since we have two stud guards for 3 more years, I think our big recruiting need is swingy types between 6’6’-6-9’. Hastings is a start and I hope to see more people in that mold.