2017 Big East Tournament

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by butlernut, Jan 23, 2017.

1. butlernut

butlernut Active Member

Money:
    $383
    As of today, here is the current make up of the BE Tournament. While it may be premature (not even at the turn yet), it helps to keep things in perspective and see which path each team could take.

This is here only for discussion and it is just based on standings as of today. I will update it in a couple weeks.
    2017 BE Tourn.jpg

DawgPoundMac and SpartanDawgs like this.
  2. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Member

Money:
    $0
    That's about as ideal a path you could hope for. Avoid Villanova, X, or Marquette until the finals. Creighton showed they took a bit hit losing Watson and I think X and MU are both better than SH.

Bulldawg and Hinkle like this.
  3. butlernut

butlernut Active Member

Money:
    $383
    Here is the updated BE Tournament seeding as of today (2/16). Since I posted this originally on 1/23, the only change has been Seton Hall and Marquette flipping (SH up to 5, Marquette down to 6). Guess this may be some proof that the season is a marathon and everyone has some bumps.

#5-8 are very jumbled (either a 6-7 or 6-8 conference record) so there could be some movement there. DePaul has not officially clenched the 10th seed, but they play @Butler, @Georgetown and @Providence, plus a season finale against Xavier (and a home game with Seton Hall). They would have to win out and have Georgetown lose out to move to the 9th seed.

Likewise, Nova has not clinched the #1 seed, but they would have to lose 3 of their remaining 4 and we would have to win out just to tie them. So pretty much use pen to put them on the #1 line. I actually like us being a 2 and them being a 1. Opposite sides of bracket.
    upload_2017-2-16_14-24-25.png

4. epstark20

epstark20 Member

Money:
    $59
    I want no part of Creighton ever this year even without Watson...just a bad matchup for us, would much rather play Villanova and Xavier than them...

5. butlernut

butlernut Active Member

Money:
    $383
    Well...we have never won a BE Tournament game, so chances are we will lose to Providence on March 9 and we won't have to worry about Creighton! LOL

6. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $85
    Anybody else think these conference tournaments are stupid? Regular reason is long enough.

7. butlernut

butlernut Active Member

Money:
    $383
    Conference tournament is to determine 31 automatic qualifiers for the dance. And one last chance to show how your team is playing at the end of the season (tournament committee supposedly uses last ten games for some measure).

I like them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Member

Money:
    $41
    So it's a way to make sure at least nine of the ten teams have a loss as their last game before Selection Sunday.

9. Dawgs4Life

Dawgs4Life Member

Money:
    $72
    And a chance for a team to make the tournament or jump up a couple seeds

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. Tark43

Tark43 Member

Money:
    $135
    True, but possibly at the expense of another team with a better resume over the course of a season. I'm not arguing one side or the other, just pointing out that there are winners and losers.

I think mostly about TV money, as this is generally when the casual fan tunes in.

11. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,623
    If KenPom plays out, here is how the Big East will be seeded. I believe I have the tiebreakers correct. I'm a little unsure how #2-#4 would be handled. Creighton would definitely be ahead of Butler because they have the sweep. Butler should be ahead of Xavier because of a better record against teams ahead of them (Villanova). But there is no direct way to resolve the Creighton-Xavier tie. Neither has a win against Villanova.

Providence and Seton Hall are split, but...
    Providence will have these wins: @Marquette, Butler, Xavier, Marquette
    Seton Hall will have these wins: Marquette, Creighton, Xavier

Georgetown is predicted to sweep St. John's.

1. Villanova (15-3)
    2. Creighton (11-7)
    3. Butler (11-7)
    4. Xavier (11-7)
    5. Marquette (9-9)
    6. Providence (8-10)
    7. Seton Hall (8-10)
    8. Georgetown (7-11)
    9. St. John's (7-11)
    10. DePaul (2-16)

12. RunningDownRamps

RunningDownRamps New Member

Money:
    $5
    Without having looked up the tie-breaker specifically in the big east, a lot of 3 way ties are broken by record against the other two.

Creighton would be 3-1 vs. Butler and x
    Butler would be 1-2 vs. Creighton and x
    x would be 1-2 vs. Butler and Creighton

In this scenario Creighton would be the #2 and the winner of But-x @x would be the #3. I'll see if I can find if that is how they actually do it.

*Edit* It appears this is how it works for a 3 team tie in this scenario. If Creighton had been 4-0 and BU and x had been 2-2, Creighton would have been the #2 and the tiebreaker with BU and x would have reverted to the 2 way tie scenario. Any more than a 3 way tie and it gets messy.

13. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Active Member

Money:
    $72
    If it plays out as above, does BU being seeded 4th in the BE hurt their NCAAT seeding?

14. butlernut

butlernut Active Member

Money:
    $383
    It's not about where you start...it's about where you finish...

15. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Active Member

Money:
    $72
    True--and they'll need to take it one game--heck one possession--at a time, give 110% and when the going gets tough, the tough get going, but back to my question...

16. butlernut

butlernut Active Member

Money:
    $383
    Well, since the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee doesn't reveal until after the BE Tournament is concluded, I don't think it hurts that much. Heck, we are pretty much already in. I remember the days of the HL when we would win 25-27 games and still feel we had to win the HL Tournament to get in. (And one really crappy year when we did win 25 games and got left out).

bu04 likes this.
  17. Dawgs4Life

Dawgs4Life Member

Money:
    $72
    ESPN bubble watch upgraded Butler to Lock status for the tournament fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

butlernut likes this.
  18. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,384
    Like the tourneys or not they're here to stay. Too much money, hype, and excitement if a young team gets hot at the end of a season. (UCONN 2011) We have yet to win a game in it, but I'm betting that we do this year. (Got flight, hotel, and tickets so I'm all in on it. Also have tickets to a show on Wednesday to keep the wife happy, so we need to win at least one more to stay out of Wednesday or I'm in trouble.)
    Just handle business at home,beat a wounded X, take our lumps at Nova, and we'll be sitting good for this one and the NCAA's... (Sounds easy, but can can be a little Jeckel and Hydeish.)

UDDawg likes this.
  19. LifeLongDogFan

LifeLongDogFan New Member

Money:
    $14
    upload_2017-2-19_8-51-29.png
    This bar chart shows the difference in preseason polling vs. final (or current) standing. Butler and Providence have the best record of exceeding expectations, finishing on average 1.5 spots ahead of predicted. To the great surprise of no one anywhere Georgetown is the most overrated (or under-performing) finishing on average a full 4 spots below.

Hinkle likes this.
  20. butlernut

butlernut Active Member

Money:
    $383
    Well...you can officially use pen for the #1 seed and the #10 seed for the BE Tournament. The rest is yet to be decided