2017 Bracketology

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Jan 16, 2017.

1. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $763
    Their formula also currently has Vandelbilt in the field, sixth from the bubble, among other things. I think this year is especially hard to project with a formula. Even at that, they may only miss on a couple of at-large teams this year.

2. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $533
    I'm not so sure that it did. When the Selection Committee listed their top 16, it is my understanding that Butler was the top "4" seed (13th overall); and I really question that we would have been much higher than that.

3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,115
    I would say this, did it "knock us down"?? I think it depends on the finish. Finish 2-1 plus a win or two at MSG and I think not, but if we limp home, it's definitely going to stick out and could take us from a 4/5 seeding to a 6/7. Bball experts do talk about it, but, with all the good...I think a big finish keeps us on the 4 line and maybe puts us on the 3 line.

But that loss was stupid. Talk about sleepwalking through a game.

4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,124
    Agreed. It's amazing a 12-6 record in league could be good for 2nd place.

5. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,757
    With Butler being what seems to be a pretty unanimous 4-seed in the Midwest bracket, it makes me think they are close to hitting the three line if they can hold serve.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,115
    Gun to head, if we go 2-1 to finish up, then win at least one in the tourney, we're a 3. If we stumble bumble, we're probably a 5.

7. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $196
    Doesn't it suck that it feels like it's nearly one or the other. Staying a 4 seems really tough. Maybe if we go 2-1 and lose our first round game of the BE tournament. Recency bias is really going to hurt us this year. That win against IU won't be considered as highly as it should, same with Marquette.

8. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,859
    The Bracket Project consensus currently has the Bulldogs as the lowest 4 seed, with six Big East teams dancing:

http://bracketmatrix.com/

9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,714
    Agree. Here's how I see it:

win-win-win, and reach BET finals, we're a 2

win-win-win, and win the first game of the BET, we're looking at a reasonable chance at a 2, with 3 being the floor

loss-win-win, and win first game of BET, very likely a 3

loss-loss-win, and win fist game of BET, we're a 4 (most likely scenario - would almost certainly put us in Milwaukee)

loss-loss-loss, and win first game of BET, we're a 5

loss-loss-loss and lose first game of BET, we're a 6

10. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,413
    I think this is pretty spot on. We'd need some help to get a 2 in the scenario you described, but some teams always implode at the end of the year. I also agree with your most-likely scenario. Winning at Xavier (they still have a very nice RPI) will make me feel very comfortable for a good seed on Selection Sunday.

11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,714
    So, we're currently a 3 with a resume that is probably exactly on par with Kentucky's (and quite possibly better).

We need to root like hell for a Kentucky slip up. We're now playing for home court(ish) in the opening weekend.

12. Dogweed

Dogweed Member

Money:
    $114
    Unless we win the BE tourney I still think we'll be in Milwaukee playing Thursday.

Some losses will end up being a negative differentiator vs UK, Lville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,714
    No question our losses are worse than UK's losses, but our wins are so much better. They beat UNC on a neutral floor. Other than that? ZERO kenpom top 25 wins...ZERO. That matters.

The loss to ISU hurts. It sucks. But it doesn't cancel out more than one good win, tops. All else equal, you'd much rather have 4 great wins and a terrible loss than no bad losses and one good win.

Point being, maybe we're not quite ahead of UK yet, but if we're not, it's really, really close.

They are 23-5, we're 22-6. Our strength of schedule is better, and our marquee wins are better.

14. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,070
    Their second best win is South Carolina...

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Hinkle likes this.
  15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,714
    If Florida can march into Lexington Saturday and beat the Cats, Butler will have a better resume as of Saturday than Kentucky. I don't think it'd be reasonably debatable.

16. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,809
    Agreed. However, Kentucky's name recognition will hose Butler. I guarantee it. We'd need to finish extremely strong to overcome that.

UDDawg likes this.
  17. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,070
    In today's news of the bizarre...

1. Our win vs. Vermont just moved into a top 50 RPI win (50 via CBS Sports).

2. Our win v. Indiana is on the verge of becoming a sub-100 RPI win (99 via CBS Sports).

Bulldawg likes this.
  18. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,613
    Here I think Indiana name recognition may help that a bit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $196
    Also, they were an undefeated, top ten team at the time. The committee may weigh that as part of the equation, or maybe they won't.

20. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $149
    So now that we are getting closer to the tourney, who would we match up bad against. Creighton is still a very talented team but for some reason we cannot beat them. I worry that if we play a team with athletic bigs in the tourney, it will not go our way. Especially if their 4 can shoot 3's.

Creighton
    Baylor
    Michigan
    Louisville
    Wisconsin

Are all bad matchups for us IMO.

Thoughts?