2017 Bracketology

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Jan 16, 2017.

1. thevinrod

thevinrod Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $775
  2. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,329
    Wisconsin doesn't scare me. They haven't really done anything against the top of the Big Ten. I agree with the rest of that list.

Florida scares me. A lot. They're gonna get a high seed obviously, but I think everyone is sleeping on them.

3. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $196
    I would take Michigan off this list as far as scaring me. As I've mentioned before I am a Michigan fan by birth. While they are not a good match up for us, because they shoot the 3 well from all five spots, they are in my opinion Downy soft. I think our toughness and physicality would eat them alive. For my sake, I'm hoping to avoid that matchup for my own sake/sanity.

4. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,606
    Not sure if you meant initial games or what, but West Virginia and their press scares me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,416
    After last night's win, TeamRankings.com has us as a 2 seed, and 5th overall, behind Gonzaga, Kansas, Nova & UNC. (If I'm reading this right) I don't know how accurate/reliable that is, but the site also gives us an 18% chance at a #1 seed. Who here would have thought we'd even be thinking it was a possibility back in November??

6. noltar

noltar Well-Known Member

Money:
    $682
    I'd throw Purdue on that list. I know Butler has had good success against them in the last few years, but there are definitely other teams I'd rather see in a second round or later matchup.

7. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,329
    Dawgs4Life likes this.
  8. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $149
    Talking about teams that I do not want in our Region. Wouldn't want to see those teams on the road to the final four. Purdue is interesting. Haas is not atheltic and tough enough to scare me so it all depends on what Swanigan would do. PJ Thompson as well. Everyone else, I think we have an answer for.

W. Virginia do not know much about them but they did seem pretty athletic and lengthy watching some highlights recently.

9. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,754
    It is also based upon future matchups and favorability to win those games. It basically has Butler losing in the BE finals, which they are saying, with how other teams are projected to finish, they will end up as the team with the highest probability of a #2 seed, which puts them at the fifth overall seed.

I hate predictive analytics, but it is pretty cool to see that.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

10. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $17,429
    Correct. I have to believe the 18% chance at a #1 seed is a little optimistic though. There is no chance Butler catches Villanova, Gonzaga, or Kansas. I think the final 1 seed is within reach, but Butler probably has to win out to get it.

The 2-5 seeds are pretty tightly packed right now. The difference between #2 Kansas and #4 Arizona in the Sagarin ELO rankings (rankings for seeding that don't factor margin of victory) is 4 ELO points. If you go another 4 ELO rating points down that takes you to #19 Wisconsin. Another 4 points only goes to #24 SMU. Basically my point right now is there a lot of opportunity to move around between that last 1 seed and a 5 seed. A single win or loss can have a huge impact on seeding where Butler is right now. Sagarin has them #10 right now, or the 2nd 3 seed.

11. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,070
    Jerry Palm still has us as a 4 after his new bracket this morning.

I am thinking he hasn't used his own team comparison tool for a while with Butler and some of his 3 seeds. He is giving too much weight to the ISU loss in my opinion.

12. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,972
    Lunardi has us as a 3 today.

Also, Bracketologists really seem to want us to play Valpo in the first round.

13. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,070
  14. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,413
    Which is understandable as a philosophy, but obviously not the way the committee is leaning this year. JP's predictions might be more off than most years.

15. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $149
  16. oldstyle1908

oldstyle1908 Active Member

Money:
    $2,952
    Can someone explain to me why they try to pair Indiana schools in the early rounds.

17. Dawgs4Life

Dawgs4Life Active Member

Money:
    $133
  18. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,138
    Last night was a great win, but I think it showed, while better than last year's team against the press, we are still vulnerable against full court pressure. And before anyone says, "if the refs had not swallowed their whistles, we would have done fine," refs seem to allow WAY more contact when a team is pressing than almost any other situation. I'm not sure why that is, and I don't have any metric to prove what I'm saying, but my eyes tell me that's how they call it (or more accurately, don't call it).

bmradio99 likes this.
  19. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $17,429
    I agree, but there is also a big difference between a team pressing down 7-10 in the final 2 minutes with fouls to give and a 1st half press.

Also let's not forget how valuable Chrabascz is against a press. His ability as a big to catch down the floor and attack with the dribble makes life tough on defenses.

20. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,643
    I still want no part of Florida St's athleticism...I also want nothing to do with Arizona with Trier back and revenge...and want nothing to do with UNC or Kansas's Josh Jackson