2017 Bracketology

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Jan 16, 2017.

1. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,413
    :D I still much prefer the "control your own destiny" method.

Sidd Finch, #60 and joliebeth23 like this.
  2. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,413
    Also cheer for Iowa State over West Virginia today. They're both right around the top 25 in RPI; ISU is in no position to catch Butler, but that one extra top 25 RPI win would really boost WVU. Also because screw Bob Huggins.

3. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,606
    I think that we are fans and we bounce back and look at what has to happen. But I guarantee you if we started re-hashing the poor decision making at the X game...the board would get amped up again. I think losing wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't against X. That just made us all a little more "hysterical/vicious/depressed" and gave us a better excuse for our Lithium. ;)

Sidd Finch likes this.
  4. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,070
    As of this morning, the ND/Purdue race for the 2nd spot in Milwaukee as a top 4 seed is getting interesting. I would say right now, Purdue has the slight edge but an ND win tonight over Duke likely changes that and moves Purdue off the 4 line.

Don't be surprised if we get paired with a 5 like Cinci, ND, or Purdue, which would really negate part of the Milwaukee advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Sidd Finch and bmradio99 like this.
  5. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,609
    Rooting for Minnesota, Notre Dame, and West Virginia to lose today.

6. BullDawg2789

BullDawg2789 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $663
    Lunardi's latest bracket has us at a 4 seed in the South region. I don't hate it- if we can beat Cincinnati again, we've done well against UNC in the past 5 years. Of course, always depends which Butler team shows up.

7. Mark Shelvin

Money:
    $2,070
    This year's UNC team is longgggggggg and talented 1-10... we can clip anyone, but matchup-wise the worst 1 seed for us (unless you consider Beating Nova 3 times impossible). We want Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, or Oregon/Arizona as our 1 seed. Not that any are easy at all, but matchups with UNC and Nova I think are worst case.

shoeevv and Sidd Finch like this.
  8. readyletsgo

Money:
    $1,609
    You mean nova instead of Duke right?

9. Mark Shelvin

Money:
    $2,070
    Nope. I don't want to play the best team a 3rd time even though it's a good matchup. I would much rather play Duke.

Duke will likely be a 1 if they win tonight, quietly, their resume would be better than UNC's and the committee does not consider what place you finished in conference.

10. ButlerNut

Money:
    $6,606
    Palm has us in Milwaukee as a 4 seed. With Kansas as #1 in our bracket. Both ESPN and CBS have us playing Princeton in Round 1

11. ButlerNut

Money:
    $6,606
  12. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,631
    I'd rather not have a potential second round matchup with Purdue.

13. ButlerNut

Money:
    $6,606
    Where is this bracket?

14. readyletsgo

Money:
    $1,609
    You're the first person I have seen even consider this possibility. We will see.

15. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $515
    Duke is not going to be a one seed with eight losses....take it to the bank.

16. Mark Shelvin

Money:
    $2,070
    Do you expect the Committee to honestly view the losses w/o Coach K on par with other teams? They should, but won't. Even considering that, look at this...awfully close to me.

Duke v. RPI Top 25: 8-4 (assuming W v. ND tonight)
    UNC v. RPI Top 25: 5-4

Duke v. RPI Top 50: 13-6 (assuming W v. ND tonight)
    UNC v. RPI Top 50: 11-5

Duke v. RPI Top 100: 16-7 (assuming W v. ND tonight)
    UNC v. RPI Top 100: 17-6

Duke sub-100 losses: 1 v. NC State (141)
    UNC sub-100 losses: 1 @ Georgia Tech (105)

Duke Best 3 wins: v. UNC (4), v. UNC(N)(4), v. Louisville(N)(7)
    UNC Best 3 wins: v. Louisville (7), v. Duke (9), v. Florida State (13)

Duke 3 Best Road wins: @ Virginia (18), @ Notre Dame (21), @ Wake Forest (39)
    UNC 3 Best Road wins: @ Wake Forest (39), @ Clemson (67), @ Pitt (73)

17. bulldogs51

bulldogs51 Active Member

Money:
    $170
    Soooooooo I'm going with bu as battle tested and ready to make a run.

Sent from my NX785QC8G using Tapatalk

joliebeth23 likes this.
  18. ButlerNut

Money:
    $6,606
    From Mark's analysis, Duke belongs ahead of UNC. Either as a higher 1, or both UNC and Duke belong as a 2, or Duke as a 1 and UNC as the top 2. Duke beat UNC twice, and has 3 more RPI top 25 wins. I know there is a whole body of work to consider, but just looking at the stuff posted here, Duke over UNC. (and I don't like Duke).

19. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $515
    Duke is four and three over the last seven games. No team has ever been a one seed with eight losses. Not sure anyone has ever been a two with eight.

20. Mark Shelvin

Money:
    $2,070
    Cool. The Committee doesn't consider L10 anymore. They also won't consider how many teams have gotten a 1 seed with 8 losses in the past. I mean, those are facts, just not relevant facts.

Also consider that the mainstream media narrative is this year's ACC is the best league in the history of the world.

The Committee's choices on 1 seeds are essentially this: Nova (lock), Kansas (lock)

Then 2 of :
    • P12 winner (who will only have 5/6 top 50 wins if Zona wins tonight or 5 top 50 wins if Oregon wins tonight).
    • Gonzaga (who has 6 top 50 wins)
    • Duke (12/13) top 50 wins or UNC (11 top 50 wins)
    Personally, I think hell would have to freeze over for the Committee not to give the ACC a 1 seed this year. As to the choice between UNC/Duke, I think I adequately made the case above for it being very close assuming Duke wins tonight.