2017 Bracketology

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Jan 16, 2017.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,061
    Agree 1,000,000 percent. **** Boeheim. Their RPI is like 85... they have no business being anything more than a 5 seed in the NIT

DawgPoundMac and UDDawg like this.
  2. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,959
    Whereas Illinois State's is 35. I know RPI is far from the best/only metric the committee uses, but come on. I'm not naive, I know the NCAA wants to sell tickets and get TV ratings, but if Cuse gets in and Illinois St. doesn't, man that would piss me off.

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  3. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,138
    Seems pretty simple to me: If Syracuse gets to play NCAAT games in the Carrier Dome, they belong in; otherwise, no.

UDDawg likes this.
  4. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,959
    Seriously. 2-11 away from the dome. 2-11! Over half of their wins (10/18) are against RPI 100+ teams!

5. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,931
    They still lost @home by 33 to St. John's and to Georgetown.

6. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,609
    Why the hand wringing? If last year's travesty of a "last 4 in" didn't make it clear enough, Syracuse will get in (and maybe some head scratcher like Tulsa last year) at the expense of Illinois State (Monmouth last year)

7. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,631
    Yeah, I don't think any of the bracket gurus had Tulsa in the field last year. Who knows, maybe someone like Iowa will show up in this year's field.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  8. BURph92

Money:
    $1,631
  9. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,070
    As discussed, we are almost assuredly a 4 seed. If the Committee wants to disregard bad losses, we could conceivably be the last 3, but I find it highly unlikely.

As a result, likely 13 seed opponents include:

Vermont: KenPom 63 (O: 61; D: 66)
    Princeton: KenPom 62 (O: 92; D: 45)
    E. Tenn. St.: KenPom 64 (O: 109; D: 44)
    Bucknell : KenPom 80 (O: 85; D: 89)
    New Mexico St.: KenPom 88 (O: 72; D: 133)
    Winthrop: KenPom 112 (O: 137; D: 110)
    FGCU: KenPom 108 (O: 82; D: 173)

Likely 5 seed 2nd Rd. Opponents:

Notre Dame: KenPom 25 (O: 16; D:58)
    Purdue: KenPom 15 (O: 25; D: 16)
    Virginia: KenPom 7 (O: 39; D: 1)
    Cincinnati: KenPom 18 (O: 34; D: 9)
    Minnesota: KenPom 33 (O: 81; D: 18)
    SMU: KenPom 14 (O: 11; D: 34)
    Iowa State: KenPom 19 (O: 13; D: 43)
    Wisconsin: KenPom 17 (O: 37; D: 8)

We are actually only rated higher than Minnesota of our likely 2nd round opponents. Also, notice that only Virginia, Cinci, and SMU are more than a very easy car trip away from Milwaukee. We will likely be outnumbered by fans from the 2nd round opponent unless it is one of those 3.

10. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,735
    Do they still avoid first round matchups with a previous opponent? If so then Vermont and Bucknell aren't options. Plus it would be just like the committee to put Purdue, ND and BU in the same bracket:(

11. Mark Shelvin

Money:
    $2,070
    I believe they try to avoid teams playing a third/fourth time before 3rd round... no rule against rematches.

12. BURph92

Money:
    $1,631
    I think someone mentioned this earlier, but it seems like there is a definite difference between the likely 12 seeds & the likely 13 seeds so being a 4 seed rather than a 5 could make a difference in our first round chances. Now with that said, could Butler lose to a 13? Sure, but anything to help our chances.

13. Mark Shelvin

Money:
    $2,070
    Historically, there is a huge difference.

This is for 2 main reasons: (1) the best of the best mid-major teams usually ceiling-out as an 11-12 seed and (2), the hot major conference teams usually floor-out as an 11-12 seed.

14. ButlerHoopsFan

ButlerHoopsFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $588
    Teams you played twice you can't play before the sweet 16. Teams you played 3 times you can't play before the elite 8. You also can't play on a court you've played more than three games on (excluding conference tourney) this is one of the reasons butler won't ever play more than 2 games at bankers life in a season. Had we played 3 this year and been a 1 or 2 seed we couldn't have been in Indy.

15. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $767
    Has any team ever beaten the overall number 1 seed in the tourney before twice in the season, 2-0? I would assume the only possibility would be Duke or NC when the other one was number one. It seems unlikely to me

16. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $529
    I could be mistaken, but based on Lunardi's latest projections, Butler was 14 - 5 against teams projected to be in the tournament.

Wins: Bucknell, Vermont, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Arizona, Cincinnati, Marquette (2), Seton Hall, Villanova (2), Xavier (2), Providence
    Losses: Creighton (2), Providence, Seton Hall, Xavier

We obviously were disappointed in the way we played in some of those losses, but overall, not too shabby.

huss587, Tark43 and joliebeth23 like this.
  17. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $12,061
    Clark Kellog has Arizona as a 1. If they happens, Butler is 3-0 against 1 seeds in 3 games.

18. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $12,061
    Also, Lunardi has Butler a 4 in the Midwest with Florida as a 5. I love that matchup. Would also like ND since their "big guy" is a 6-6 Chrabs-type player. But Lunardi has ND a 3...

19. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,959
    As opposed to 3-0 in five games? :) Sorry, couldn't resist.

20. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,609
    Lunardi has Notre Dame as a 3 seed- I just don't see that at all. Palm has Florida State, which I think is a bit more reasonable. I agree the only way we get a 3 is if Committee just disregards the bad loss in favor of our top 25/50 record.