2017 Coaching Search Revisited

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Mar 16, 2021.

1. ButlerFan89

ButlerFan89 Member

Money:
    $82
    He did interview. In fact, he interviewed the last two times it was open. Great as defensive coordinator and gets the most out of the players... not good with external relations and public speaking. I feel BC believes he’ll never be able to improve on the latter and is an obstacle for him in getting head coaching job.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

bumba likes this.
  2. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,029
    So your headed out to be the second butler fan on this board who resides In the great state of of Montana?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,178
    SLC is 1a, Reno 1b

Actually might be leaning Reno to avoid state income taxes. And Nevada has lower property taxes.

Best chance I have of “living” in Montana is someday getting rich and buying a ski place at Big Sky. That would be the dream. Not to take anything away from Montana - stunning place, especially Glacier (which is close to you?) but likely not a great fit for me given my job/industry.

znelson15 likes this.
  4. znelson15

Money:
    $2,029
    All my wife’s family is from salt lake. We go down every year

Incredible underrated recreational state. And then skiing is top notch but Utah gets a bad rep but it doesn’t get more diverse as a state than than. I understand Reno though plus your that much closer to quickly enjoy Montana

Either way west is best :)

5. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,116
  6. znelson15

Money:
    $2,029
    I meant that much closer in general to Montana from where he lives now

So it’s a win either way

I’d like to see your map though just to make sure

Cheers

Staxawax likes this.
  7. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,126
    My wife said exactly the same thing! UF dealt with it when they played here before, and it isn't like it is the first time Raftery has been in the building.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. 740OHIOBulldog

740OHIOBulldog Active Member

Money:
    $1,453
    LJ is not a good basketball coach, we missed the boat big time on Shrews.

9. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,154
    C'mon, we all know Raft was recovering from a bender the night before.

godogs91 and DawgsMD like this.
  10. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,541
    Who wins the drinking contest? Raftery or Walton?

Could you imagine those two calling a game together?

11. Tiles52

Tiles52 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $768
    Considering that Shrews only two years as a head coach was at IU South Bend and his record was not exactly stellar; I would say that we can't really judge how he well he will do as a head coach. Let's see how he does at Penn State. He may be great, but we really don't know that yet.

NAIA

Statistics overview
    Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
    IU South Bend
    (CCAC) (2005–2007)
    2005–06 IU South Bend 3–28[8] 1–11 N/A
    2006–07 IU South Bend 12–20[9] 4–6 N/A
    IU South Bend: 15–48 (.238) 5–17 (.227)
    Total: 15–48 (.238)

12. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,151
    Will be interesting to see how Shrews does at Penn St. as it seems to be a tough gig. At the same time I think it’s a lower pressure Big Ten job as Pat Chambers was there 8 years with no NCAA tournament appearances. Where else in the Big Ten would that be acceptable besides maybe Northwestern. Granted he won an NIT & they certainly would have made the NCAA tourney in 2020 but he was fired for non-performance reasons.

13. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $16,178
    Yeah nobody really cares about basketball. That’s seemingly changing with the Shrews hire. Before the AD was happy to pay for a cheap coach and have a profitable sport, even if they finished 11-19 or whatever was sort of normal for them. Now it looks like they are putting some money into it and expecting results. That’s a good thing. Zero reason with our resources we can’t become like Bama or LSU (traditional football power that can have a decent-to-good basketball team but will never be like Duke, UK, Zags, UNC, KU, etc.).

znelson15 likes this.
  14. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,502
    Uhhh there are plenty of rea$on$ you cannot compete with traditional football powers in football.

15. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $16,178
    In basketball?

In football we’re one of the traditional powers. We’re 8th in all-time wins (if you remove Yale). As a player I won the Big Ten twice and finished 3rd, 20s, 20s, 8th and 8th in my 5 seasons.

Ignoring the abomination that was 2020, we finished 3/4 years in NY6 Bowls, including a Big Ten Championship, and in 2016 we were a 3-pt loss from the playoff and in 2017 two losses by a combined 4 points from undefeated. We need to get over the hump, but we were literally a touchdown from back-to-back playoff appearances.

Also, we’re tied with UGA for 6th in terms of number of NFL players on 2020 rosters by school.

Not Bama, Clemson of the last 5 years, or OSU, but we’re right there in that next tier with OU, UGA, LSU, USC, Etc.

16. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,502
    Yes, historically Penn State is a football power, but they haven’t been anywhere close to the elite schools recently.

Tentozen likes this.
  17. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $16,178
    Did you even read my post?

Between 2016 and 2019, we won 11 games 3x, made 3 NY6 Bowls (2-1), and were 7 total points in 2016 and 2017 from back-to-back playoff appearances.

How many schools can say they won at least 11 games in 3 out of those 4 years?

18. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,502
    Not gonna lie, I read like parts of maybe two sentences.

Hands up, that’s on me.

19. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $16,178
    Then to atone, you can look up how many schools won 11 games in any 3-year combination between 2016/17/18/19 and let me know.

Bama, Clemson and OU are on there. Not sure who else. Maybe ND?

20. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,502
    Yes they won some games in the McSorley era but like I said, if you put em on opposite sidelines from Georgia, Bama and Clemson they’re gonna lose by a thousand points.

I don’t think there’s any shame in being really good but not elite while running a clean program (I’m guessing but Franklin not being clean wouldn’t surprise me).

I think Notre Dame gets a lot of flack for being really good, but not the same league as the people they see in January, but they’re not playing by the same rules. I think Penn Stare is in that same conversation.