2017 Coaching Search Revisited

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Mar 16, 2021.

1. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $311
    What’s the criteria for “elite” in DI college football? Surely the threshold wasn’t born with the BCS era.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,502
    Championship contender. I’m only speaking recently.

The only ones who care what happened before the spread formation became popular are Notre Dame fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,178
    I understand Bama and Clemson. Also OSU. But Georgia??

2016-2019 UGA: 44-12 (2-2 in NY6 games, 1 playoff appearance, 1 loss in national title)

2016-2019 PSU: 42-11 (2-1 in NY6 games, 0 playoff appearances)

Players on 2020 NFL rosters:
    PSU 32
    UGA 32

Wow. What a difference. *eyeroll*

Keep in mind we beat OSU in 2016 and lost to them in 2017 and 2018 by 1 point each year. 2019 was 28-17 in their house.

OSU is better than UGA and we are right there with them. To think UGA would “beat us by a thousand” is just asinine. You’re better than that.

4. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,509
    They are not in that next tier with OU, LSU, UGA. If you want to put them with USC, be my guest, but that’s not saying much.

5. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,509
    SEC better than Big Ten.

6. Michdog

Michdog Active Member

Money:
    $285
    You can tell that Butler basketball has been done for a while, we're already arguing (I guess we're "discussing") about things like whether Penn State is better than Georgia in football. How about this? Is Penn State better than Georgia in basketball? Since we're still technically in basketball season, try to convince anyone of the answer to that question?

2xDawg likes this.
  7. IndieDawg

IndieDawg Active Member

Money:
    $2,063
    Better beer in Reno.

2xDawg likes this.
  8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,599
    This discussion is in large part why I can't get as into college football. PSU has been a top 10 football school over the last 6 or so years; they've also not really been competitive for a title. Only in college football is that true.

9. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $16,178
    We have a better basketball coach than UGA :)

IndieDawg and Tentozen like this.
  10. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $16,178
    I would love to see an 8 team playoff. The 5 P5 conference champs, the top G6 school (Boise, Memphis, UCF, Cinci - whomever it is that season), and two at-large schools (ND, a one-loss SEC school who didn’t make the champ game, one-loss Big Ten, etc.). First round is played at the home stadiums of higher seeds to get to 4, then do it with the bowls as they do it today. Rest of the teams can play the meaningless bowls, INCLUDING the 4 teams who lost in the round of 8 (although their motivation will be iffy).

The absolute best part of college basketball is that every D1 school has an *equal* shot at the national title on Day 1. Even Longwood or Bellarmine can win it all. Heck... Oral Roberts still has a shot this year. In my proposal, every college football school now does too, which is how it should be.

#60, NCJon and Hinkle like this.
  11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,502
    Yes, Georgia. They’re in the SEC and look what they did to Notre Dame in that era who I think is at least comparable to ND in that time frame.

Penn State under Franklin has been a talent machine but they haven’t had the results commensurate with that ability.

12. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $16,178
    WTF are you talking about?

UGA win %: .785714
    PSU win %: .792453

Outside of Bama, the SEC is vastly overrated and largely garbage. UGA has one tough game with UF every year. The rest of the SEC E is crap. It’s basically like Wisky/Iowa every year playing for the BIG West Championship. The West has LSU and A&M, but they are both about the PSU level - other than LSU catching lightning in a bottle with Burrow in what was a historically good year for them (in fact, LSU is 42-11 in the same ‘16-‘19 time period).

So your argument basically amounts to “UGA beat ND so therefore they are better”.

I know you’re not this dumb, so I’m just going to assume you’re saying stupid things to try to screw with me.

13. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,502
    The last 4 years Georgia has finished 3,3,5,5 in the fpi. Penn State has not finished ahead of them in any of those years. Georgia also won the SEC Title game, the Sugar Bowl, the Peach Bowl and the CFP Semifinal in that time. Penn State has won the cotton Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl. In the last ten years Georgia’s fpi average finish is 11, Notre Dame is 15, Penn State is 26.7.

You’re acting like this is some huge knock on Penn State. It’s not, then not being as good as Georgia is not an insult nor a put down. The computers don’t think they’re as good, and they certainly aren’t as well regarded nationally. That doesn’t mean that Penn State hasn’t been really, really good-They have been. Georgia has just been better.

Tentozen likes this.
  14. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,191
    Football? More like basketball!

*ducks*

DawgsMD likes this.
  15. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,188
    85 scholarships w a 3 year pro rule... too much stockpiling of talent on the elite teams...

Shimmy, NCJon, Hinkle and 1 other person like this.
  16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,599
    This is a great point. You could in theory have the top 100 players of each class scooped up by 3 schools each year. And in practice, that’s not that far off from what happens. Sort of explains how we know with 90% certainty that one of 3 or 4 teams will win each year (and why being just a notch below elite, like ND, still means you’re not really competitive).

In basketball, in addition to the egalitarian nature of the 68 team tournament, a top ranked class will have at most 4 or 5 top 100 players, and a few are likely to be there just one year.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

17. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,502
    This was what my original point went back to, I don’t think everyone is playing by the same rules.

For example, everyone just ****s on Notre dame when they inevitably get blown out in the cfp semifinal every year.

I am sure Notre Dame isn’t recruiting impermissibly. I’m not sure that that’s true for Bama, LSU, Ga, Clemson. I would be shocked if Penn State is not in the same boat as Notre Dame. They’ve been excellent nationally, yet would be a relatively mid tier SEC team-but I suspect they’re playing a totally different game when it comes to talent acquisition.

We have this elite class in cfb that may or may not be legit, and then there’s everyone else. I agree it hurts the game. It’s also the same situation as in women’s basketball.

18. IndieDawg

IndieDawg Active Member

Money:
    $2,063
    Shame too bc he’s such a good dude.