2017 Transfer Candidates

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by 740OHIOBulldog, Apr 11, 2016.

1. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,108
    Unless Big Nate is going to play 40 mpg at the 5, I'd say it's pretty close to a lock that Brunk is a lock to play next year. The only way he doesn't is if they bring in a grad transfer 5 - and if they do that, you'd have to wonder if Brunk would even want to hang around.

bumba likes this.
  2. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $154
    Exactly why it isn't a lock IMO. If he was getting 10+ mins a game this season, I would say he would be a lock. But it is unkown what they want JB 's role going forward. I hope it is to have him out there for 15/20 mins a game because I don't know how much Stamina Nate has. Especially against up tempo teams.

3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,282
    Hastings is an unknown. Assuming JB stays, he will forced into action simply based on numbers at this point. We as fans may consider JB as an unknown but the coaching staff may have other ideas.

SnoopDawg likes this.
  4. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,030

As of now, it seems we will be forced to play 40 minutes of Brunk/Fowler next year. While Brunk is a 4 star freshman this year, he hasn't exactly shown much (granted he hasn't been given much opportunity but he also hasn't beat out Fowler for that spot). Moreover, I think Brunk/Fowler project to be our two least athletic players. So IMO we should target an athletic 4/5 as a grad transfer that would unlock small ball/spread lineups. If Hastings or someone could fill that role, then I wouldn't prioritize a 4/5 over a guard.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  5. seadawg

Money:
    $3,282
    I would tend to agree and I'll add I'm quite sure the staff is well aware of the team's needs. While my preference is skill over athletic ability the coaches will have a difficult problem filling TW's shoes. I think we don't realize how athletic he is considering his size playing the post. I don't envy the coaches job finding his replacement.

6. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,059
    amen

7. dawgnation

dawgnation Active Member

Money:
    $176
    Hastings is not even close to a 5. He is a boarderline 3-4 and Tucker and David and McD are not 4’s. Tucker is a 2,3,4. David is a 2-3 because he is only 6’6 and Mcd is a 2-3. We need a late-bloomer or JUCO who is capable of stepping in at either the 4 or 5 or even both. Primarily someone who is 6’9 and a quality rebounder. Doesn’t have to be a big who fills the points stat sheets but someone who can rebound.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

SpartanDawgs and Tark43 like this.
  8. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,784
    It’s not about what they traditionally are, it’s about what they are going to play in this system.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $613
    Neither of our current options have shown much mobility. Against some teams, we can get away with it. Against others, we get terribly exposed because of it. We need a mobile big with physical presence. Be he a 4 or be he a five we need him in order to thrive.

Sent from my [device_name] using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,995
    Fowler/Brunk is not going to do it for next year.

SpartanDawgs and dippper61 like this.
  11. SchlabbaDawg

SchlabbaDawg Member

Money:
    $3,084
    It's going to be interesting if the remaining freshman (sans Thompson-who seems like a lock) remain with the program. That's a big question mark since they were recruited by a different coach. It wouldn't shock me if one leaves, no clue who though to be honest. I think Butler can offer starting/heavy minutes to any talented big who has immediate eligibility. Hopefully Butler can take care of business with these next two home games and continue the solid season they are having.

12. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $211
    Last time, pretty much everyone left. Only one of the four stayed. (Castro, Berry, Brown, AC). Morgan and Smeathers ended up taking off too.

I suppose its arguable how much you lose with losing guys in that class, given the production, but youre pretty likely going to see a few players leave after the year.

As an aside, I don't know if you can just assume AT will stay. He's pretty far from home and plays fairly similar mpg as Elijah Brown as a freshman. He's certainly the most likely to stay though. -- https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/elijah-brown-1.html

13. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,181
    Thank goodness we lost all of the names you mentioned. None of them other than AC and Brown were anything other than low majors. Their leaving opened up scholarships. I don't see anyone leaving - certainly not Joey Brunk , AT or JGB- unless the NCAA changes the transfer rules.

14. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,854
    Talked to AT’s parents recently. They make it to a lot of the road games out east. They say he loves Butler and is glad he stayed on after the coaching change. So there’s that.

fdr, bumba, I Am Butler and 9 others like this.
  15. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,995
    Those transfers had less to do with the coaching change and almost everything to do with the clash between Miller and a particular group of players (Morgan, Brown and Castro). Miller never had that lockerroom. I am 100% certain on this.

By contrast, Jordan seems have buy-in from the whole team. Not saying there won't be transfers, but the situations are not similar.

Edit: and comparing Brown to Thompson based on minutes is ridiculous. Their attitudes and character couldn't be more polar opposite.

16. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $348
    Comparing AT to Elijah Brown is pretty silly. While their minutes may be similar, AT is starting and EB was not, and Roosevelt and Kellen were still going to be around so he did not expect to start the following year either; and he wanted to start.

UDDawg likes this.
  17. seadawg

Money:
    $3,282
    I would argue AT is antithesis to Brown.

NCJon, UDDawg and I Am Butler like this.
  18. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,181
    One of the best things that happened was those guys leaving. I know everyone hates Miller but if they left because of him then we should be thankful.

19. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $348
    Not sure if your comment was in response to my post or not, but I wasn't comparing AT to Brown in terms of basketball ability; I was just saying that to try to lump AT with Brown as someone who might transfer, the reasons behind Brown transferring does not seem to apply to AT's current situation with the team.

20. SchlabbaDawg

SchlabbaDawg Member

Money:
    $3,084
    I think his only point was just because someone is getting quality minutes, doesn't mean there is no chance they would transfer. I'm most concerned about Brunk and David transferring. I have zero insight, but both are talented and not getting playing time. And I don't want to sound negative, as I'm happy to see David on the court these last couple games. I wish he would play more when Jorg and McD's shots are not falling.