2018-19 Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by UDDawg, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,266
    He has to earn the playing time and he will be give the opportunity—that’s all the staff can promise.

Further, you don’t know if the staff viewed taking him as taking a chance that would be ‘risking team chemistry.’

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

BoyGeoff likes this.
  2. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,040
    Keep in mind there is a difference between expecting playing time and expecting a legitimate opportunity to earn playing time. From what I’ve heard after the transfer, Tucker was likely not going to get that opportunity to earn it at Duke.

3. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,864
    2-3 minutes for a freshman coming off an ACL and a brace. If you think that's the best you'll see out of David or any 18 year old freshman you really don't understand college and player development. And if that's really the case he and half the team should have transfered...

Sent from my [device_name] using Butler Hoops mobile app

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  4. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,923
    Let’s look at third this way. If a freshman version of Kelan Martin was on the team last year would he have seen any playing time? We all remember how bad he was as a freshman right, playing terrible defense and shooting 25% from 3? He played because that Butler team had absolutely zero depth.

Look at what Kelan became. The evolution from his freshman year to his senior year was incredible. I’m not saying David will do that, but the point I’m making is that judging any player on their freshman season is bad idea. Freshman usually suck. That’s why we are all incredibly excited about Aaron Thompson. He wasn’t really a great player as a freshman, he just didn’t suck.

SRG, cornette33 and estar20dawg like this.
  5. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,864
    Baddley from this year is a good example. Before the season did we even think he'd play much? And by the end I wanted much much more. Goes from can't shoot, which some people still think he can't to setting Butler records in practice? It takes time to adjust to the game and especially for someone he goes from playing as a sophomore to junior high school to the next real action is high major college. Talk about having to adjust...

6. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $307
    I did not mean for this to turn Into a debate of David vs tucker. This will be arguably the deepest team we've had in a little while. Ive been following the team since the late 90s so I understand how development works. That being said, of our regular 8 man rotation last year, we return 6 of them. David, JGB, and brunk all have great potential and will have an additional year under their belt. Also added is a 4* transfer from duke, and 2 freshman who can add some physicality to the lineup. We can't play all of them. Seems like the roster is nearly set, so I threw my early prediction out there to try and generate some discussion. Curious to see how others see the lineup shaking out.

7. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,258
    Watched Christian and AT working out together this week. Christian was putting up 3 after 3, looking leaner and fit and no brace. AT was working on free throws:)

peeps112, bmradio99, huss587 and 5 others like this.
  8. Tedward

Tedward New Member

Money:
    $22
    I do think it is fair to say that if we go with an 8 man rotation for 95% the biggest unknown is who the 8th man really comes down tucker or David. Since I can’t see a sophomore playing the minutes Kelan took up last ya so would have to go nine man rotation and David and Tucker split those.

bu04 likes this.
  9. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,923
    The great thing is we are debating about who gets left out of the main rotation. How many times in recent years has the discussion been about who will we find that deserves the 7th or 8th spot? It’s nice that we confidence in the depth of this roster.

BHayden, seadawg, Mad_Dawg 48 and 2 others like this.
  10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,963
    Villanova could lose 4 of their top 6 players. Xavier lost five starters and their coach. SHU lost effectively their entire team. We lost two starters. I can't remember when we had more depth. I'm confident Kamar, McD, AT, PJ, Tucker will bring it. Those five will be the core. How much David, Baddley, Brunk, Fowler, Hastings, JGB and Golden contribute will determine where we rank in the BE. This could be a very good year.

The following year could be our first conference championship year.

BHayden, bumba, bicknob and 1 other person like this.
  11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,640

Charter is the 2nd largest cable provider with 25+ million subscribers. Could be good news for those of you who get shut out when BU is on CBS Sports Network.

Daddysmack likes this.
  12. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    I suspect we will see very little from the freshman. That’s not to say that I think they’re bad, I love Golden and think Hastings can be a really nice piece if things go right. It’s just that Freshmen are almost never ready to be actually good. I think we will have quite a few people who are actually good.

I suspect one who is actually good will be Christian David. He needs to get more mobility back, but I think it’s unreasonable to suggest that’s not possible if not likely. His biggest issue seemed to be the speed of the game. That seems to really start to take care of itself the second summer in the program. I wouldn’t be surprised if we got 15-20 ppg from David and Baddley.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

13. RJR

RJR New Member

Money:
    $18
    There is plenty of talent, depth and experience at the guard and wing positions for the upcoming season. One of the biggest variables to having a good season versus a great season is the development of Brunk. If he can be relied upon to spell Fowler without a significant drop in the level of post play, we are in for a special season.

14. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,984
    With AT’s penchant for foul trouble, got to think JGB might pick up some of his minutes. Looking forward to seeing the results after his commitment to transforming his body during the offseason.

15. Tedward

Tedward New Member

Money:
    $22
    He would really just need to outplay AT, PJ or HB to see the court, barring 3 fouls in the first 3 minutes or injury. I agree with Jarred that he will a match-up nightmare against opposing teams, but to play next season he needs to win it. I hope he does over PJ, as i think his shot selection and shooting percentage hurt the team, but that still is a tall task for a sophomore to take minutes from a Senior that started parts of his junior year.

16. Tedward

Tedward New Member

Money:
    $22
    Though to be fair to PJ, adjustred for Free throws, he scored 9 points a game on 8.8 shots per game. Baldwin as a comparison was 13.4 points on 13.6 shots a game.

Both of them have room for improvement, but PJ still was getting over a point per possession when he was the shooter.

17. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $863
    I think PJ has a great year and shoots close to 40% from 3. Seniors always seem to rise to the occasion in this program.

peeps112 likes this.
  18. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $496
    Butler goes to the final four. Kamar and Tucker declares for the Draft.

19. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,265
    Sheesh, I leave the country for a couple weeks and I come back to find out we've landed two top drawer recruits to go along with Tucker and Hastings and now the board is debating when exactly we will win the BE championship - but maybe we only only get to the final four next year. No bi polar condition here...

20. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $496
    Oh sorry, I was just following @BulldogsAllTheWay trend and posted a bold prediction. My bad.

MSUDawg likes this.