2018-19 Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by UDDawg, Mar 26, 2018.

1. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $549
    I also love how Kamar Baldwin shooting 7/7 FT's in the Ncaa tournament is one of ESPN's rationale's for putting Butler at 22 next year.
    "[They'll] lose Kelan Martin, but Kamar Baldwin... finished 7-for-7 from the charity stripe in two NCAA tournament games."

This is why the analysts get paid the big bucks.

troggy, BU_NeonHat, SnoopDawg and 5 others like this.
  2. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,470
    The more I think about next season the more I’m starting to drink the Kool-Aid. I think Butler will be better than the 10 seed this season even if they don’t land a single player addition for next season.

It really comes down to 2 beliefs I have. 1) Aaron Thompson is going to be a stud and he will take Big strides towards that next season. 2) I think the impact of losing Kelan Martin is being greatly overstated. I think the offense will flow better without him and redistributing a lot of his shots to getting guys like Baddley and McDermott more open looks will be good for the offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,633
    What flavor of Kool-Aid is that? I want some...

4. chc3

chc3 Active Member

Money:
    $180
    Just to clarify the analogy should not be Kool Aid, rather it should be Flavor Aid. It was Flavor Aid that Jones used... Other than that I agree that Thompson can improve but the question remains does Butler have an adequate coach that can teach the fundamentals of shooting?

BU_NeonHat likes this.
  5. Tedward

Tedward New Member

Money:
    $22
    I think Lavall (smartly) over relied on Martin as he got comfortable with the skill sets of the lesser known players. Losing Martin and knowing the team better will lead to a more diversified scoring attack. If Tucker can shoot as advertised how your guard McD and Tucker on the perimeter and Baldwin from driving will be tough.

6. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,470
    I don’t even want to go down that rabbit hole again...

But regarding Thompson, I would love it if he learned to shoot. I actually think he will. But it’s ok if he can’t. There have been plenty of really good offensive guards who can’t shoot. But he can’t not shoot and play off the ball, which is what he did this year. If he can’t shoot he has to have the ball in his hands more and become a playmaker off the dribble in the lane. He’s shown plenty of flashes of being capable of doing that. I think he makes improvements there next season. He needs to be the one initiating the offense instead of Baldwin.

Tark43, jal8908, SpartanDawgs and 7 others like this.
  7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,545
    I can see considerable improvement coming for CD, McD, KB, AT and PJ on both ends of the court. If Tucker is who we think he is then we have the potential to be really strong on the perimeter. If ( and that's is a big If) Brunk and Fowler put the time in then we could be better at the five position. Then we have Jerald Butler, Baddley and Hastings who could push the others. That's eleven players that gives us some serious depth.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  8. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    Seriously? After losing 4 Seniors, Butler's offense barely dropped this year. Baddley went from 0-8 last year to shooting 46.5% from 3 this year. Jorgensen's ORtg improved by 16 points despite moving up from the A-10 to the Big East. McDermott's 3 point percentage improved. Martin shot 43% from 3 in conference play. A lot of that is on the players to make those improvements, but to wonder whether or not the coaching staff is capable despite that evidence, I don't know what to say.

9. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,545
    Do you think Butler doesn't? I didn't think AT's form was that bad. What he needs to do is put up 500 + shots a day as do all of the players. That's on them and not the coaches. Being able to shoot well is a matter of proper form and repetition.

WMUDog likes this.
  10. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,351
    I hope it’s as easy as getting up reps but the concerning part could me more fundamental—only a 50% free throw shooter which suggest an underlying form problem.

I do trust though that If the staff viewed his shooting as his key then they have the knowledge/resources to do it over the summer. The question is whether they see that as priority #1 or if it’s something else (finishing at the rim). Wish AT would have been on the Minner video telling us what he is working on.

11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,545
    This season's shooting percentage was 47% vs. 48% last year. Three point was 36% versus 37% last year while free throw shooting was 78% this year versus 74% the prior year. I don't see why our percentages won't be at least comparable. For comparison Nova was 50, 40 and 78. Xavier was 49, 37 and 78.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  12. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,351
    I’m optimistic like Jared. We have a good core returning and solid players across the floor. I do think there is a good chance no one transfers (if true, Lavall deserves huge props).

I think a key will be 3 pt shooting. We have good guards that can create off the dribble (KB and PJ) and AT I think will get better this summer. If we can surround the guards with knock down three point shooters, I feel like we will have a potent offense. I feel confident only in SM being a knock down shooter. But HB showed he can do it this year (could be a fierce 3 and D player if he gain 10 lbs) and CD and JT should be good as well. If we somehow get Taylor, our offense will be elite.

Defensively, I am more worried. defending the wing and the interior and rebounding will be struggles. Hopefully AT and KB can help create problems on the perimeter because many nights that will be our advantage. But McDermott has to improve as a defender because he is going to play a lot due to his offense and will likely be matched up against stronger players. This is why MH could get some play as a freshman due to his defense and rebounding m. Fowler is not a great rebounder so I worry about second chance points.Hopefully Brunks good rebounding holds with more minutes.

13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,545
    If Tyler can go from 40% to 80% on free throws then AT can do it. AT doesn't need someone to tell him what he needs to work on.

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  14. chc3

chc3 Active Member

Money:
    $180
    There is no doubt that Thompson is an excellent athletic defensive player. Offensively he has been a liability, especially when his defender is allowed to play help defense hedging to guard the ball and passing lane toward the basket. His shot form looks like he is trying to shot put or guide the ball to the basket. His release is on the way up and not at the peak of his rotation so it looks like a knuckle-ball. That said, he seems to be coach-able. And if he applies himself by altering his technique he can be one of the best point guards in the Bid East by the time he's a Junior.

There are various variations on youtube but it seems what they all have in common is the release point at the peak of the full arm extension as in this video:

15. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,633
    chc3 you are certainly on the right track. Often AT's shot would come off his hand differently from shot to shot and that includes free-throws. So the point of release may well be the issue. I do think his form is pretty decent so maybe a tweek here or there. Since I would be lucky to hit the ocean from a rowboat, make me less than an expert but I'd be happy to see his FT percentage up to 70%.

BHayden likes this.
  16. BHayden

BHayden Well-Known Member

Money:
    $520
    It’s definitely his release point. He releases it at a different point every time he shoots. What was good to see though, is that he was working very hard on developing the one dribble pull up off the bounce and I think next season we will see him hit that shot consistently.

17. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,351
  18. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    No one ever truly does things alone to improve, but a lot of it is on the players to continue the work outside of their time with the coaches, trainers, etc. I also agree that AT's issue is just getting a consistent form that works for him. Like Baddley, it doesn't necessarily have to be the prettiest form, but as long as he can repeat it consistently, there's a higher likelihood of the ball finding the net.

19. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,282
    Thompson probably just needs to spend more time on YouTube.

20. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Active Member

Money:
    $260
    How much money would we have to throw at Joey Burton to get him on staff?

bicknob likes this.