2018-19 Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by UDDawg, Mar 26, 2018.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $823
    Great post. It seems we’ve forgotten the guys that take the most shots and have the ball most are most integral, so thanks for bringing us back.

Only saw Saturday, and while he looked a lot bigger, I wasn’t impressed by AT. He threw a couple cross court passes that never had a chance, and he didn’t look any more confident that he could score. (Though he did attempt a 3 I think). While we don’t need him to be much more than he was last year to be playable and even startable, I’ve yet to be given a reason to think he’ll be a plus contributor.

This should all be taken with the caveat that it’s very early and there’s much better reason to assume he’ll be a very different guy in March than he now than there is to assume he won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,812
  3. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $862
  4. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,812

Attached Files:

Danville Bulldog likes this.
  5. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $964
  6. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,458
    I voted.jpg . . . the Chicago Way: Early and often

butlernut and SpartanDawgs like this.
  7. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,386
    I'm terrible with the advanced fancy stats as basketball is not my first sport. Now ask about zone starts and Corsi For and the like and I'll talk your ear off.

My prediction is that Baldwin will average 18+ point a year. Then we'll have two guys right above 10 a game and two more right under 10 a game. I'd go with PJ and McDermott as those at 10 or 11 a game and Fowler and Thompson as those under. That puts us at 58ish PPG, I think the bench will average 10 to 15 to bring us to 68-73 PPG.

I think if Kamar is over 20 and Tucker can reliably gets us 1o per night, we'll be closer to 80 PPG.

Again, I'm just reaching, but it seems that Butler always has a team scoring approach and that four or five will hover right around 10 PPG.

8. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $199
    Yeah you might be right and I'm on the high side with upper 70's to 80 per game. Maybe I've been watching too much NBA this year! If LJ wanted them to, and he may given he pushed tempo and shot clock last year, I think this team could be faster than last year's with all the guards and wings.

I'm not saying we can't win at 68 per game, and it would harken back to some pretty good butler teams and a style many of us probably love, but that would have put us dead last in the conference for points per game last year. Also, no team held anyone below 70 last year (Villanova was just above 70). Thus I'm thinking if we can't get at least low to mid 70s we could be in big trouble. We were at 69 in 13-14 when we finished 2nd but that was a down scoring year for the whole conf.

Last year's team scoring per game/points allowed per game (conf play after...)
    X - 84.4/74.7...82.8/78.6
    Nova - 86.6/70.2...88/76.3
    Hall - 79.4/73.9...78.2/77
    Creighton - 83.2/74.9...79.3/77
    Providence - 73.6/72.7...72.8/74.6
    Dawgs - 78.9/72.6...81/76.9
    Marquette - 81.3/78.5...81.1/81.4
    Gtown - 78.3/76.5...76.3/83
    Johnnies - 73.2/73.6...71.8/77.8
    Depaul - 71.9/73.8...70.7/77.9

We'll see how the player avgs shake out but I still think kamar/pj have to score for us and it could be approaching 50% of our points. I think alot of that is based on them being our best offensive players and not being afraid to shoot it 20+ times per game. I agree with the baddley comment. He may very well emerge as a guy we can't afford to not have on the floor more especially if tucker still needs a year. I'd be thrilled if a bunch of guys avg 10 per game bc it'd mean less iso and dependence on someone to always get their shot. But does LJ have a scheme for it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $955

Coach Johnson definitely showing off off the team's hard work in the offseason. Remains to be seen whether or not it actually results in improved strength or athleticism (limited sample size, but Brunk and JGB are really the only guys I've noticed a difference in on the court performance thus far), but there's no doubt this has definitely been the most promotion I've seen of an off-season workout regimen.

10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,116
    I think the Dawgs off season conditioning has dramatically improved. For a long time I thought this needed improvement. Good to see our walk on working as hard as everyone else. That is a leader right there.

11. Irishdawg

Money:
    $955
  12. DawgFan

DawgFan Active Member

Money:
    $199
    This statement caught my attention: "He (McDermott) spent the summer practicing to create his own shot so Butler has a late-clock option other than Kamar Baldwin."

BHayden likes this.
  13. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,386
    I can't wait to see them knock out Ivan Drago in the 12th round... Where's the chicken catching sequence?

14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,116
    Sean is my all time favorite Butler player. I identify with him so much.

15. Irishdawg

Money:
    $955
    Do you mind sharing why?

16. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,284
  17. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,116
    Here's a skinny kid who is not incredibly athletic with a love for the game that had to overcome adversity and battle for his life. Then to have to see his mother go through what she had to deal with is amazing. The kid is driven to compete at the highest level while many doubt him and still do. Nothing has come easy for him. He is smart and savvy on and off the court. A consummate teammate and leaves it all out there.

18. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,152
    Assuming McD averages approximately the same or a few more minutes a game as last year, he'll carry a 10 to 12 ppg average and 5+ rebounds per game. (Who knows how his minutes will pan out when Tucker is eligible. And how much 3 guard we play.) Still is going to struggle with his "man" defense on the perimeter. But the D we play(ed), straight up man, doesn't do him any favors and exposes him and others as well. Hoping this year that Jordan keeps the bigs closer to the paint to alter, deter and defend drives to the basket. And collapse the weak side. Stuff the paint, which we did do in the tournament. Would rather defend the paint than having the bigs (who are slow to recover anyway) out on the perimeter hedging. If we're going to get beat, make them beat you going over the top and not on layups. Would help those who are weaker defenders, like McD. Everybody likes to go one-on-one to the paint these days. McD sticks his nose in on rebounding, too. He'll have his good and bad games, but no doubt he will be a contributor and asset this year. May be wrong, but I think he'll step up and surprise the doubters.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  19. indienapolis

indienapolis Active Member

Money:
    $201
    A couple of decent hype videos:

Short doc

and season preview with Mark Minner

EDIT: Whoops, looks like one of these was already posted in another thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  20. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,428
    UC-Irvine won in College Station last night. I remember thinking that was a sneaky game when Butler released its non-conference schedule...

bmradio99 likes this.