2018-19 Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by UDDawg, Mar 26, 2018.

1. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,578
    I like that well if you disregard 20% of the game we won easily... Well if you ignore 20% of your taxes the IRS comes for your first born... The list goes on and on with examples of why you can't ignore 20% of the game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,864
    What Hinkle said is what I meant. IU is okay. They are beatable. In the Crossroads, they will he fired up. At PSU you’re playing on the road in front of 5k people with a closed upper deck in an arena that can hold 18k. So that will help them. Playing at PSU is like playing a football game at Northwesten - I played in front of better crowds in HS. You have no will to even be there. So that bump will help them vs. Butler.

Also, a basketball game is 40 minutes, and as we have seen countless times, all of them count equally.

3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,135
    I also think they are a very bad matchup for us

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,441
    Aaron Thompson last three games:

9-14 from 2
    1-2 from 3
    3-5 on FT
    9 assists
    4 steals
    4 turnovers

Solid.

5. estar20dawg

Money:
    $1,578
    I want more of AT less of KB with the ball and less NF...It sounds like they are going to burn Golden's RS which I feel like is a massive mistake. They ain't winning anything this year. This team could be a contender next year. I want 4 years of a healthy Golden not a wasted half a year... At this point I say go small when Brunk isn't in there when Tucker is healthy. AT KB McD Tucker David/Baddley

BU_NeonHat likes this.
  6. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,152
    I tend to agree but ultimately it will be a decision is for Golden and the coaches to make. I was disappointed with JB's play last night as he got pushed out of position and unable to make plays. I do think he will continue to progress but is far from a finished product. My hope is Tucker brings much more to the table than I could predict. This particular team's make up is flawed to no fault of the staff. The missing link in all of this has been Kyle Young all along. That's not to say BU will or won't qualify for the big dance but it is certainly questionable at this point.

7. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $351
    Would love to stop seeing PJ play the 3 when Tucker comes into play. Having Kamar, AT, PJ rotate between the 1 ad 2 spots would be a huge benefit. then get McDermott, JT, Baddley, at the 3-4 then Brunk and Fowler at the 5. That is a solid 8 man rotation that could sprinkle in some CD or Golden/Hastings if either chose to play. As of now I am done with this 3 guard lineup.

Tark43, schoops, bumba and 1 other person like this.
  8. dawgs2014

Money:
    $1,135
    If by not winning anything you mean like advance to the sweet 16, I agree. If you mean we won’t make the tourney, that kind of proclamation is ridiculously premature.

I think that if Golden would be in the rotation then he should definitely play. The outcome of our season is determined completely by what’s ahead of us, so if he would help win games then who cares that he missed the first ten.

If he would only play spot minutes then there’s no reason he should rush back.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  9. estar20dawg

Money:
    $1,578
    I'm saying unless Tucker is the second coming they are not winning the Big East in a down year...Next year they have a realistic chance at a conference title/deep March run. I want as many years as possible with the highest level of players we have which Golden appears to be a centerpiece 4/small ball 5. Why if you look at the big picture do you want to burn a whole year for a chance at a middle of the pack finish and NCAA birth. It may suck but in investing look short term is a really bad way of investing and is more like gambling vs the long run. I want sustained success and when you look at the players we are targeting in the next few years and the system Lavall wants to put in place it looks like, this year appears to be meaningless and transitional. I want to win now like everyone but let's not be short sighted at building like Gonzaga who almost always RS freshman and have built a 20 year empire now.

10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,359
    I bet LJ is waiting to see if Fowler or Brunk get with the program before deciding on Golden being redshirt or not. I think the jury will be coming back into the courtroom soon. If neither of those two can step it up against Brown or the next game then it's time to move on to Golden.

11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $1,135
    I think sustained success is likely everyone’s goal. I think it’s important to take a step back and look at it from an outsiders perspective as well though.

What has been the biggest hurdle for our program the last 10 years? I’d say repeated coaching changes.

I think the biggest consequence of repeated coaching changes is that we have to prove ourselves to recruits over and over again since our new coaches are never a Rick Barnes this hire, so sustained tourney appearances is the best road to sustained success.

I agree with you, if we stay healthy we should be REALLY good next year and this year is more of a transition year. I think that if we don’t make the tourney this year, we will have significantly more trouble in signing 2020 guys and I think that class is one of the more important ones in recent memory since we lose KB, Sean and Henry.

I certainly think what you’re saying has merit, I just view this year to be pivotal in terms of reaffirming ourselves as the consistent power recruits were starting to see us as under Holtmann. If it hurts us a bit on the backend, Personally, that trade off is worth it to me.

jal8908 likes this.
  12. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $254
    If Golden makes us better this year and there is low potential for re-injury, then he should play. That decision is made more difficult with no game experience. The odds of freshman bigs being impactful are low to start with. But, this is the only season we have. So much can happen that we can't control next year and the year after etc.

jarik and dawgs2014 like this.
  13. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,869
    The one thing that really stood out through yesterday's snooze-fest was how much Baldwin deferred to Thompson to run the offense. Hope that continues. Things feel better with Thompson creating and Baldwin playing off the ball.

jarik likes this.
  14. I Am Butler

Money:
    $3,869
    My argument to that is strictly a recruiting one. Making the tournament every year is a huge selling point, especially when you do so during your "down" years. 2020 has the potential to be a big recruiting year, with it being LaValls first "full-cycle" recruiting year, and making the tournament again will be valuable heading into the summer. Investing in recruiting is the best path to longterm success.

If LaVall feels Golden will be the difference, he will play.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  15. estar20dawg

Money:
    $1,578
    I feel we can still make the tournament without burning Golden. Tucker should add a boost. Still making the tournament without Golden seems feasible and doable if we need a freshman to step in and provide that much of a difference just to make the tournament we need to reevaluate what is going on at practice and the game plans.

Just my opinion, I'd rather have 4 great years with Golden, than a half year of mediocrity. Golden still would practice and develop and we've seen how much bigs needs time to adjust, to me it seems like a no brainer if the kid and family are open to it, and judging by his mom's response she wants the RS year

16. I Am Butler

Money:
    $3,869
    I agree definitely prefer to see a RS, but at this point, LaVall can't he happy with our lack of length at the 3-4. If Golden shows he can compete in practice and LaVall thinks having McD, Tucker and Golden to rotate through the 3/4, mixing Paulie in as well, it wont shock to see Golden play this year.

I'm hoping Tucker will put that thought to bed and Golden can spend the year developing.

estar20dawg likes this.
  17. dawgs2014

Money:
    $1,135
    Your judgement on his development I definitely agree with, and I also agree we likely can make it without him, I guess for me it’s a matter of if he can guard 4’s, because I think we’ll need that. If he can’t step in and effectively do that then he should sit. As you stated, it does take a while for big guys to come around.

18. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,152
    Patience is required . What is fair to Golden's future should taken into consideration. I would prefer to give LJ the opportunity to fail and let this young season run it's course.

19. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $157
    I agree with the investment notion. However, the better we do this year will help recruiting. I just don't see Golden being a big enough factor this year to burn a year of eligibility. He would have to be really good.

bumba likes this.
  20. Trumpforpresident2020

Trumpforpresident2020 Active Member

I believe that if Jordan Tucker is as good as advertised then he will easily take minutes away from Thompson. Although Thompson has gotten better offensively, he is still a liability on the offensive end of the court. At times this season when transitioning to offense we are three on five due to lack of attempts to feed the post and lack of ability Thompson has to create offense and take advantage of what the defense is giving him.

He has one of the fastest first steps I've ever seen and many times has not used that to his advantage. Starting five in my opinion will be Baldwin, Jorgenson, Tucker, McDermott, and Brunk.

I also feel that Golden has a Golden opportunity to gain major PT. He is the most athletic big we have and he can stretch the floor. Give him to time to adjust to the college game and he will be in contention for starting minutes as well in my opinion.