2018-19 Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by UDDawg, Mar 26, 2018.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,135
    I think Thompson might be the minutes literally least endangered by Tucker

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,578
    I can't believe I'm going to 100% agree with your statement. Trump once again shows his "basketball knowledge." I swear he must be related to Donald or maybe hopefully he is the real one...

3. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,869
    Agreed, it makes zero sense. The ripple effect wont push that far down the lineup.

Obviously, David is the most immediate casualty of Tucker playing well. You seldom see a good basketball team go past their 8th man, so David would be the first to lose out. The remainder of the minutes, depending on Tuckers effectiveness, will come from a combination of Baddley/Paulie/McD.

That depth is also why I have a hard time seeing Golden finding minutes this year. Until we see Tucker play, there isnt need to speculate much beyond that.

estar20dawg likes this.
  4. dawgs2014

Money:
    $1,135
    I think you’re right about David, but that’s not how I’d run things. I think it’s how it will go, but I’d keep finding a way to try to get David ten mins a game. I just think he can do things that other guys we have can’t. Obviously I trust Lavall more than me, but I want to see CD succeed.

5. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,869
    Part of the reason I'd really like to see Golden RS, is that I worry if Golden and Tucker both emerge as options this year, David will get buried and transfer out. I've not been a fan of how LaVall has handled David but obviously there is a lot happening in practice that we dont see.

6. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $351
    Obviously you want to see every player play but that is not how it's going to work. I trust that LaVall is playing the players that earned and deserved the minutes. I see David's family make the long trip to Hinkle at times and they are so excited when he makes a great play. Great kid. Great family. But LaVall needs to play the players that give us the best chance to win. It's sad because I would love to see him out there too but if transferring is what is best for him then he should transfer. Opens up a scholly for us and he gets a chance at a new start and more minutes. To the other side of this, I am assuming LaVall and CD set goals for him and I am sure he knows what it will take to see the court more. Whether its his defense, or something else. I expect him to continue to keep working hard and to improve whatever he needs to do to see the court more.

dippper61 likes this.
  7. dawgs2014

Money:
    $1,135
    What you’re saying is indisputably true, but I have my opinions because I think that David has the most potential to upside to add to this team this year of anyone except Tucker.

Its his defense, it’s obviously his defense that keeps him off the floor. I think he got lost two straight possessions on Wednesday and that effectively ended his night.

He’s a smart offensive player, with size, athleticism and we think at least average shooting touch. Once the defense comes, and it will, getting David the reps now to gain confidence represents huge potential upside either later this year or next. At the expense from 2 minutes per game from each of the other wings, I think the return more than justifies the investment. It’s not like we don’t have guys playing now who don’t make easy targets on defense.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  8. Coogles

Coogles Member

Money:
    $56
    Agree, David is the most obvious potential casualty from Tucker's eligibility. I can't remember the last time a Butler team consistently went past an 8 man rotation. I think David has some promise, but if he can't stick in the rotation this year and without 3 or 4 set to graduate, he probably won't crack the rotation next year, either. The other guy who could see his minutes drop is PJ, IMO. If his efficiency dips in conference play like it did last year, and if Tucker can not only be more efficient but also rebound and defend larger wings better, PJ might go back to the bench and not get too many minutes as a third guard. Feels weird to say considering he's currently the team's leading scorer, but I could see things playing out that way.

The type of player I think this team needs most is someone like Hastings. An athletic 6'7" wing to do the dirty work, defend a mobile and physical forward like Eric Paschall, and maybe most importantly, rebound the damn basketball. Sounds like he's not ready to contribute and that's too bad, but a Khyle Marshall or Kam Woods type of forward who can grind and do the little things would be hugely beneficial.

Tentozen likes this.
  9. schoops

schoops Active Member

Money:
    $422
    Once Tucker is able to play, I'd much rather see his minutes come from Baldwin and PJ than from McD or Baddley. I'm over this tiny 3 guard line-up. There are plenty of minutes at the 1-2 for those 2 and we are absolutely going to get killed inside once we get into Big East play if we keep asking PJ and McD to try to guard forwards. Tucker isn't really much bigger than McD, but at least you get 2 guys taller than 6'1" at the wings with the two of them or David playing. I'd actually love to see lineups with David, McD, Baldwin, & Tucker all out there together. We'd actually have some good length on the court for a change.

As for Golden, if he's ready, I think we're going to need his size come Big East time. I haven't seen him play at all though and have no idea what to expect. I'm worried that David is the one who is going to get buried, and that scares me, because I also think he has far and away the most upside of anyone on our roster.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $914
    Brunk, Tucker, Baldwin, Jorgensen and AT is probably the most talent rich lineup, but small. I think you have to have a bigger wing in there most of the time. This is where I wish David would really bust out. He has the talent to be the wing we need. It just doesn't seem that is happening any time soon though.

I do think a bench of AT, Fowler, McDermott and Baddely would be great depth wise.

11. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $351
    Hastings Body frame is ready for college basketball. Maybe he still not 100%? Either way, it seems like we have enough wing talent that we don't need to play with 3 guards.

dippper61 likes this.
  12. Eric

Eric Active Member

Money:
    $3,043
    Seems like there's an awful lot of faith being put in someone who has played 14 minutes of D1 ball.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Daddysmack and SpartanDawgs like this.
  13. dawgs2014

Money:
    $1,135
    I totally agree. Why couldn’t he get more than that? Those are walk-on minutes. My expectations are zero, until I see otherwise. I’d expect he’ll be good, but who knows?

Daddysmack likes this.
  14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,441
    People are wayyyyy too high on Tucker than is warranted right now. He is a freshman, in terms of his game experience. I get that he was a top 50 recruit but (a) there's reason to think he was overvalued given his complete lack of playing time at Duke; and (b) there are routinely players in that range who significantly struggle in their first year (or never pan out at all). E.g., Quinnerly was the 29th ranked recruit this year and he can't even get on the floor at Nova. Makai Ashton Langford was a top 40 recruit and he's not even getting real minutes as a sophomore at Providence.

Tucker may be great. He may change the entire trajectory of the season. Top 50 recruits can do that sometimes. Look at what Ignas Brazdeikis is doing for Michigan this season (he was the 40th ranked recruit coming into this season, and he's currently 7th on Kenpom's payer ranking). But it's pretty unlikely, and if Tucker were obliterating everyone in practice, we'd be hearing more about it.

As I've said before, what I've been told is that he's a good shooter, and he can be a good shooter right away, but expectations should be tempered for now outside of that.

Daddysmack and seadawg like this.
  15. dawgs2014

Money:
    $1,135
    If he gives us something similar to another Sean this year I’d consider it wildly successful.

dippper61 likes this.
  16. estar20dawg

Money:
    $1,578
    Well first, the reason Quinnerly and Ashton Langford can't get on the floor is they both can't shoot and before you say neither can AT, AT defends at a much higher level than either 1 of them. The one thing I and everyone knows is Jordan Tucker is 6'7 and can flat out shoot the ball. I have no clue if he can defend, but neither could Campbell...This team lacks firepower and Tucker is not bashful so if it means he can pull some help away from guys defending Baldwin and AT to do drive than that's good enough for me. Realistically right now, he's probably going to be a 8-12 point scorer with days where he goes lights out and leads the team in scoring, he's probably a bigger slightly more efficient PJ who will probably turn the ball over more than PJ

dippper61 and willisbrown like this.
  17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,441
    As would I. But Sean is adequate (or better) at more than shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,152
    Until Tucker gets his feet wet, we just won't know. The wait will soon be over but it may take him a little more time to get truly acclimated.

19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,441
    If you're expecting him to be the third leading scorer and more efficient than one of our most efficient players (so far this season), your expectations are too high. For context, Baldwin averaged 10/game his freshman season and did so far less efficiently than PJ has been so far this season, and he was a better freshman than any Butler has had since Hayward/Mack. In other words, he was an incredibly successful freshman and he was considerably worse than you're expecting Tucker to be.

You're essentially expecting Tucker to be the best "freshman" Butler has had since it's two NBA players a decade ago. It's possible, but in all likelihood you're going to be disappointed.

Dunham averaged 9/game as a freshman and did so efficiently on a team that played in the A-10. He was also plainly awful at defense and rebounding. His freshman year was considered a resounding success.

An efficient 6 or 7 points per game while not being a total liability on defense would be an excellent first year for Tucker.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Daddysmack likes this.
  20. estar20dawg

Money:
    $1,578
    The third leading scorer on this team is not that hard...you are competing against Fowler...Brunk, McD, AT, PJ none of those instill me with confidence that they are the 2, 3 or 4th options. Realistically, on this team I think he can be the second, third or fourth scorer, on a normal team probably looking at the 5th option.

Statistically, he is the best freshman Butler has had...I don't know what to expect other than he's going to shoot and probably take the 3rd most attempts of shots behind Baldwin and PJ

dippper61 and willisbrown like this.