2018-19 Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by UDDawg, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,079
    Maybe five wins, rewind '13 -14 season. Who can they beat on the road?

2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $34
    After last night - who can they beat at home?

3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Everyone except Georgetown.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

jeff and pappyball like this.
  4. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,079
    Really!

Insane Dawg likes this.
  5. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $191
    BE schedule can work for us . Beat Creighton at home, win 2 of 3 road games with SH, X, DePaul and welcome the Johnnies to Hinkle at 3 and 2. Until the last 2 games, that would have been the low bar for us.
    Somehow we need to become a confident team again. Beating Creighton Saturday is a must win to put the train back on the tracks.

6. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $34
    I'm sure all the positive vibes on the board are helping them with that ;)

Shimmy, estar20dawg and BoyGeoff like this.
  7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,447
    This team doesn’t need positive vibes it needs an ass chewing

znelson15, harvesting and estar20dawg like this.
  8. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Active Member

Money:
    $429
    My biggest concern about Butler is their regression during the period when the 20-hour limit is waived. Unless I'm mistaken and the rule has changed, the 20-hour limit is waived when classes aren't in session. Most college basketball teams get a lot better between finals and the start of the next semester because they can practice as much as they want without distraction. Even if the rule has changed, these 2-3 weeks, (even with the distraction of the holidays) are still the best time for a college basketball team to improve. That Butler is obviously worse at this point in the calendar is reason to panic.

9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    Good point. Road trips, like winter break lack structure. We’ve struggled with both. Further evidence of mental toughness concerns

10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,878
    Butler's biggest issues right now - by far - are on the defensive end.

But there's one part of the offense that is just driving me insane. Butler is almost worse than any team in college basketball at getting to the free throw line. Trips to the free throw line are literally the most efficient way to score points unless you've got a team full of Shaqs.

Kamar is obviously a gigantic part of our offense (in terms of usage), and he's really ineffective at getting to the line. This is particularly befuddling given his quickness and propensity to get in the lane, and particularly frustrating given how well he shoots free throws. (And considering how inefficient he's been this year due to (a) not connecting from 3 at all; and (b) not making 2s at a high enough rate, we desperately need some part of his offensive game to be effective.)

Someone smarter than me, help: why is Kamar so terrible at getting to the line? Is it simply because he is so prone to fading away in the lane? That seems too simplistic.

11. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,188

Exacerbating the problem even more--when we do get to the line we are uber successful. A stat popped up in the georgetown game saying we were #1 in the BE in free throw percentage (~76% as a team).

Not smarter than you but I do think Kamar uses his awesome athleticism to contort and actively avoid contact when in the lane (sometime he fades away for a short jumper; other times he twists around bigger defenders). Further, Kamar hasn't been as adept as I remember at getting into the lane in the first place (not due to lost quickness but rather a combination of being the defense's focus and the general sluggishness of offense). It seems a little like Kyrie Irving who doesn't get to the line much despite driving all the time (but, unlike Kamar, is super elite despite the degree of difficulty of his finishes).

12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,447
    It may be too simplistic but it seems like half the time KB gets in the paint he stops and tries to post up against bigs. Then instead of kicking it back out he tries to shoot over them. I’m 6’4” and at my age I can still block guys at any age who are 5’8” without fouling them. Where KB is best is either left or right drives and shooting high off the glass. Unfortunately those don’t lead to fouls.

Fowler, McD, Baddley and AT skills are not conducive to drawing fouls. Actually PJ can and even Brunk. I think Tucker will.

Get a penetrating creating point guard and some size and better athletes will lead to more free throws.

13. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,969
    I think KB should watch someone like Damian Lillard play. Talk about a small guard with the ability to find the body and create contact. I think pound for pound Lillard is the best in any form of basketball at finding contact to get to the foul line. You can argue Harden, but I think Lillard at his size just does an outstanding job.

znelson15 likes this.
  14. znelson15

znelson15 Active Member

Money:
    $364
    Watch lillard in college play Montana when he played for Weber st
    He knew he was that good and was on a not good team
    Watched him go for fifteen straight in the second half on the road and did it with ease then got bored and you could tell he already knew he was big time nba
    It was crazy to watch

estar20dawg likes this.
  15. znelson15

znelson15 Active Member

Money:
    $364
    I don’t get this at all as well
    I am 5’11 played small time college ball and I thrived at getting to the free throw line
    I think it has to do with the lost art of the pump fake
    Such a simple move but it is never utilized downlow
    Nba players do it all the time though but on college not so much
    I don’t get it

estar20dawg likes this.
  16. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $537
    I think we were staring down the well on Saturday, a near death experience. Brunk's basket at 48-40 may be one of the most important baskets of the season if we make the dance. The next three road games are probably three of the best chances for a road win we have. We generally play well against Seton Hall and I would hope AT and KB can contain their guards a bit, Xavier is not that great ( but how good are we?) and DePaul is still DePaul. We desperately need a road win or two and this stretch offers most of the best chances, IMO. Winning out at home ( absolutely no given) only gets us 17 wins so we need to take advantage of the possibilities of these next three games.

17. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,447
    I too thought Bruno's basket when it was 48-40 was key and then PJ soon after hit a three getting it back to a 13 point lead.

18. znelson15

znelson15 Active Member

Money:
    $364
    Anyone with access to what we are ranked Kenpom right now
    Saw we are 56 in net rankings as of today

19. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    39 kenpom
    37 barttorvik