2018-19 Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by UDDawg, Mar 26, 2018.

1. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Active Member

Money:
    $270
    I wouldn't mind seeing some Friday games in the Crossroads Classic. Valpo/Indiana State/Evansville vs. IUPUI/PFW/Ball State. A Friday ticket is good for all three games.

2. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,305
    A lot of people only show up for the game the team they root for is involved in already. Do you really think they'd show up for another game the night before? We always watch both games now, but I'm not showing up for Ball State / Valpo, and I certainly wouldn't be interested in paying more for a game like that.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,605
    I think it could be done if it's set up right (pricing like the NCAAT? Session 1 pricing, session 2 pricing, or both sessions pricing) i wouldn't mind seeing ball state, valpo, or evansville if the pricing is right

Sent from my SM-G935P using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,262
    I think what would make the most sense would be to do a 3-day 8 team (2 schools rotate in/out every time) Turkey Week tournament with the Indiana D-1 teams, but it's only held every 3-5 years or so. I don't think any of the schools would go for an annual version.

5. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,109
    A tournament would be awesome, but with five of the teams in two conferences, you can't make the numbers work to qualify it as an "exempt" event.

6. ghostryder

ghostryder Active Member

Money:
    $126
    I would rather see Butler (and others) playing an in-State opponent beyond the Crossroads as opposed to a team like Presbyterian. Better for regional hoops in general.

I get why these games aren’t scheduled because they could be detrimental (see the loss to Indiana State), but I don’t agree with that thinking. You can lose to Presbyterian just as easily as losing to IPFW.

Speaking of which, why hasn’t Butler ever tried to schedule Ft. Wayne?

7. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,041
    Can’t do this Thanksgiving week as it would eliminate tournaments like Maui, Atlantis, Disney event, etc.

estar20dawg likes this.
  8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,878
    This is becoming the new "when is tucker eligible" discussion of the forum.

A crossroads tournament - no matter when it would be - is a cool idea but is never going to happen because then none of the participating schools could do a Thanksgiving or Christmas-time tournament.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  9. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,262
    That's why I said don't do it every year.

The lineup of teams in a Crossroads Thanksgiving or Christmastime tournament would arguably be better than the ones some of the normal ones can put out.

I'm also not willing to die on this hill so whatever.

Hinkle and MSUDawg like this.
  10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,225

Should be a fun rematch.

11. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,041
    Don’t look now but Detroit is leading the HL at 5-1. Might be a better win than anticipated. #GoTitans

DawgPoundMac and NCJon like this.
  12. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Active Member

Money:
    $485
    Season basically over at this point barring a miracle. Between Indiana, @ Seton Hall and @ Xavier now, Butler has managed to lose each chance they have for a good road/neutral win. They are gonna have to win a bunch of games they have no business winning just to have a shot at the tournament. Maybe they can make the NIT.

willisbrown and dippper61 like this.
  13. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,142
    All Mike Davis does is take his teams to the post season. In 18 years as a head coach he’s had 9 NCAA bids & 5 NITs. He would have had another post-season bid but Texas Southern was on probation when he took over.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

NCJon likes this.
  14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,225
    I think we can beat DePaul on the road if we play like today. St. John's & Nova are after that at Hinkle. We could lose both if LJ still can't find a scheme to lock down the perimeter. That would put us 2-5 in conference.

We probably need 19-20 wins just to get in the NIT. That means 9-9 in the BE & a BET win. Have to take it game by game & not look ahead.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  15. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Active Member

Money:
    $429
    I'm inclined to agree with this based on watching Butler but I'm somehow still not sure what Butler is this year. They might really be garbage or they might be a talented team trying to turn a corner that has just lost the 3 close and winnable games you've mentioned.

I'd have thought Butler would be ranked in the 50s or worse by most sites but Butler is 41st on KenPom and Sagarin, 46th on Haslametrics.

They have 14 games left. This team has the potential to go 9-5 in those games, win a BigEast Tournament game and make the NCAA Tournament. They also have the potential to go 5-9. I suspect we'll know which way this is going to go by the end of the week.

16. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,680
    Hey - the Colts were 1-5 and left for dead. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

SpartanDawgs and jkcdawgs like this.
  17. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,933
    We need to be constantly attacking the basket right out of the gate in these road games so we can get to the line and make the defense adjust. I know, easier said than done but I’m sick of seeing the weave then a 25 footer with 3 seconds left on the shot clock.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $843
    I know this season has been one full of ups and downs and the current state of the team has caused a lot of stress and frustration to say the least. However, it's always good to look at the big picture. This team is currently playing in the Big Freakin East. They play in some of the top holiday tournaments year in and year out. They are recruiting top 100-150 from all over the country. They have had some terrific non-conference games over the past few years and constantly add impressive home-and-home matchups with some of the top programs around.

Since I got to Butler ahead of the 2007-2008 season, this team has only missed the tournament twice (and once was when Rose missed the whole season, otherwise I'm confident the team makes the tournament that year). We pretty win at least one game every time we make the tournament and have peaked with TWO title game appearances in consecutive years. We have beaten the likes of Michigan State (w/Draymond Green), Florida, Wisconsin, Kansas State, Syracuse, IU, Purdue, Pitt (when they were good), Davidson (w/Steph Curry), Washington State (w/Klay Thompson), and countless other quality programs (not including the bevy of quality BE since joining the conference). Gone are the days of going to a half full Hinkle (if lucky) on a Tuesday night to see them play Youngstown State or getting jacked up like crazy when we land a 3* recruit. This program has seen different faces standing in the coach's box over the years and have had some great players pass through. A lot of schools would give an arm and a leg to have as much consistent success as we have had.

I know it's hard but as a fan base, we have it so good, and things have gotten continuously better over the years. I know it's hard (and easier said than done), but I think throwing in a bit of a stinker season every 5-6 years isn't the end of the world. Plus, we don't even know for sure this is a lost season...still plenty of time left to go.

bubby, bwesson15, #60 and 7 others like this.
  19. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,079
    Well said, CarmelDawg23!

20. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Active Member

Money:
    $429
    Does anyone know of any publicly available measurement of a player or team’s shooting consistency/inconsistency?

I’m mostly wondering how likely a 40% 3-point shooter or 40% 3-point shooting team is to:
    1) Make 2 of every 5 and/or 4 of every 10 shots
    2) Miss 5 of 5 but make 4 of next 5 shots.
    3) Miss 8 of 10 but make 6 of next 10 shots

I know observation/memory is flawed but my hypothesis is that Butler’s shooters are unusually streaky (not just 1st half and 2nd half of DePaul game) and making matters worse is that individual slumps and hot streaks tend to coincide with rather than alternate with other individual slumps and hot streaks so that the team’s shooting percentage is also inconsistent.

I'd also be interested in seeing whether Butler's most efficient stretches of offense are triggered by good offensive execution (ball/player movement creating open shots) or hot shooting (making a well-defended shot) causing defensive mistakes (over-rotating/closing out too hard, fouling, losing man/confusion/miscommunication, etc).

TL; DR Anyone have Drew Cannon's contact info?