2018-19 Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by UDDawg, Mar 26, 2018.

1. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,085
    It does. I get FS Indiana and FS Ohio.

2. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,072
    I just can’t see this team winning enough remaining road games to make the NCAA tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Sidd Finch and willisbrown like this.
  3. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $166
    I see our range and 7/11 to 10/8. Tomorrow will be the big reveal.

4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,834

Depending how much of a bounce PC gets from beating St. John's, that could be a road Quad 1 game for us. We don't play them for awhile. It would be nice if Heron took Tuesday night off to rest his knee lol.

5. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,502
    Right now you can see Nate Fowler growing before your very eyes. It's amazing the amount of toughness, hustle, desire, and basketball intelligence he's shown in the last three games. He is playing so smart and, I think, finally realizing and accepting his weaknesses and adjusting his game to compensate.

Nate is a big tall guy who has probably been told his entire life he could/should/would play basketball . I'm not overly familiar with his body of work but it's been good enough to land him at a high-level Division I hoops program. He is not as quick or strong as a lot of the guys he faces. I think that has been difficult for him to deal with mentally. He's perhaps punished himself at times due to self-doubt about whether he can hack it at this level (that's utter and total speculation, but his body language has been rather Sad Sack in the past).

I believe that these head issues affected his game a great deal. And the worse he played, the worse it got in between his ears. But it appears he's had a breakthrough and gotten his emotional house in order. It's translating to really active, hard-nosed basketball. He's shooting the threes with confidence and making them, and his assertiveness and leadership have jumped to the next level.

Butler Basketball has for a while been about achieving success with less physically gifted athletes—sort of an “Island of Misfit Toys” in a matter of speaking. Since we can't get the blue-chip kids we require players with a very strong mind and character. I believe Nate has gotten his house in order upstairs and is ready to give more to this team then ever. He's showing that to us now.

He was like a man possessed against Marquette. Brunk started and played a bit but was sick with the flu. NF knew he had to pick up the slack and did. At the mid-point of the first half while guarding their big man on the perimeter he made two swipes at the ball, knocked it away both times and nearly made the steal. I swear it was one of the quickest hand moves I've ever seen—certainly that I've ever seen from NF!

I would really, really, really like to go to the post-season to see what this Butler senior is capable of contributing at the end of his career. He becomes more and more lively and involved every game. I think he'll be a key to the BET and any post-season action we may see this season.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  6. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,594
    Well seeing that light at the end of your college career can be a powerful motivator. Not letting your finals games/opportunities to pass you by and give 200% effort for a 2 month stretch. Glad they have had that, "This is going to end, I'm going out on my terms" moment. You always pray it'll happen to your seniors when you coach them. Some have it from the beginning of their careers as freshman of understanding 4 years goes by really quickly, some get it at the start of their senior year, some towards the end of their careers. But ultimately as a coach you just want them to embrace what it means to have been a apart of something for 4 years and leaving a lasting impression, looking back leaving as a better all around individual than when you came in as a 18ish year old kid.

bwesson15 likes this.
  7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,395
    I think he’s just playing better offense than he as earlier in the season, which in turn is allowing people to have a more generally positive perspective on him.

In turn, people are more open to seeing the things he does defensively. The things he does well defensively are nothing new, but the improved offense is. His offense was just not very good at the start of the season, in fact it was substantially worse than it ever had been. Now we’re seeing a bit of reversion to where he always has been, and that improvement is encouraging to a lot of people.

I don’t think we’ll ever see a better psychology experiment in a basketball uniform than Nate Fowler,

8. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,278
    From Seth Davis' first installment of "Behind Enemy Lines" where he grants coaches anonymity for intel on teams around college basketball. This one's for you @estar20dawg :) https://theathletic.com/810685/2019...emy-lines-to-hear-the-truth-on-the-top-teams/

Butler: “They have a good offensive group with Sean McDermott, Jordan Tucker and Paul Jorgensen, but they can’t play defense. Then they come in with Aaron Thompson and Henry Baddley and they get better defensively, but they lose a lot offensively. Kamar Baldwin is solid on both ends. He hasn’t had the year that Shamorie Ponds and Markus Howard have had, but he’s rock solid. He’s not a great 3-point shooter, but he makes enough to keep you honest. Jorgensen is a bad shot-maker, and I mean that as a compliment. Tucker has been coming on lately. The kid Joey Brunk is one of the more improved players in the league. It’s just a matter of can they consistently get stops. They’re an average defensive team. There are a lot of gaps you can expose.”

9. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,059
    joliebeth23 likes this.
  10. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $152
    Win the next two and we should be in driver seat.

11. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Active Member

Money:
    $429
    Is that supposed to be a Big East coach? Villanova leads the conference in scoring defense and Butler is 2nd. Some of that is due to Butler playing better defensively in the non-conference but even if we just go by conference play Butler is 5th.
    If you’re wondering Butler is 6th in scoring offense.
    One of these stats might jump out at you more than others though.
    upload_2019-2-11_10-15-37.jpeg

12. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,594
    God there's no way to sugarcoat those FT stats...yikes, we are in the Xavier position by a lot there....(Meaning Dead Last...Nice to be able to poke fun at the criminals as always)

IndyDawgs and dawgs2014 like this.
  13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,500
    Counting stats are pointless. Butler plays a slow tempo, that's why "scoring defense" makes Butler's defense look better than it is. Also, "scoring defense" obviously doesn't account for the quality of opponents played. On a per-possession basis, adjusting for opponent, Butler's defense is not any good. In fact, it's the second worst Butler defense since 2006, barely ahead of the 2016 team that had almost 0 good defenders (Kellen, TLew, Etherington, etc. played heavy minutes). The coach is right.

the_speakers_lab and estar20dawg like this.
  14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,500
    Nate is leading the Big East in turnover percentage in conference play (crazy for a guy known on here for having "weak hands," or something); he's second in offensive rebounding percentage (crazy for a guy known on here to be "soft"); he's ninth in the Big East in offensive efficiency (crazy for a guy known for missing layups - this one's actually true, he does miss some bunnies others don't miss - yet he's still been insanely efficient); he's fifth in Big East play in three point percentage.

Nate wasn't very good in the non-conference. Not going to defend it. But this is the Nate we got last year. And this is the Nate we were defending in the off season.

Carry on.

Edit: corrected an error. He's not second in the BE in offensive efficiency; he's ninth, at 122.6 - tops on the team, by a mile.

joliebeth23 and bwesson15 like this.
  15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,834
    He's been playing good for a month out of 4 years. While I agree with the sentiment, let's not put him in the BU Hall of Fame. Austin Etherington caught fire at the end of his final season as well. Don't discount Brunk had the flu in January either.

16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,500
    That's not true, though. He's played the last month about how he played last year in conference play. Fowler's BE rankings from last year in conference play: fifth in offensive efficiency at 129.7 - higher than so far this year; sixth in offensive rebounding percentage; third in turnover rate.

Not to mention 2017, when his offensive rating was even higher than in 2018 in conference play, at a truly absurd 133.5, and when his offensive rebounding percentage was even higher than in 2018.

This isn't the emergence of Nate Fowler; this is the return of Nate Fowler, and we should all be thrilled to see it. If we make the tournament, NF is going to be a gigantic reason why.

bwesson15, joliebeth23 and MSUDawg like this.
  17. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,834
    53 in the NET today - up four spots with the GT win. Bubble teams St. Mary's, Nebraska, IU, Temple, Creighton and St. John's all lose over the weekend. Georgetown slips to 78 so our win is Q2.

St. John's has 7 Q1/Q2 wins and now so do we. As if Tuesday wasn't already important. If we sweep them, I think we replace their at-large bid.

Hinkle likes this.
  18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,834
    5 points & 4 rebounds a game this year. The return of the most overanalyzed player in BU history lol.

19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,500
    Damn. We’d gone a few weeks without this argument, hadn’t we? I’ll stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bwesson15, bumba, DawgsMD and 2 others like this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,162
    This is a huge game for SJU as well. Their remaining schedule is easier than ours.