2018-19 Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by UDDawg, Mar 26, 2018.

1. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,293
  2. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,493
    Pretty good analysis. A lot of the player criticism is misplaced, IMO. Before criticizing any of these players, you have to look to the top first. Example, no one is more frustrated than me with Baldwin's selfish play. I hate it. It's so counterproductive, overall. There are more options on this team besides Baldwin, who does score a lot points, and he also turns the ball over a lot , make a whole lot of bad decisions, and takes others out of the offense that more than offset a whole lot of the points he scores. But I still don't blame Baldwin. His "play" and that style comes straight from Jordan. Baldwin is only doing what Jordan has told him to do. Over dribbling in a take your man offense...don't blame Baldwin or Jorgensen or Tucker. Jorgensen can throw up the ugliest forced shots. Why? That's Jordan's offense. It's the same offense he has run these past two years, and it hasn't changed, no matter the results. In spite of the horrid offensive performance against Providence, any one want to bet it's the same offense we see at Villanova?

Of course the players look bad. Look undisciplined. Mentally dim. Bad decisions. It's really fricking ugly. Who remembers Butler basketball looking anything like this? Not the most talented or athletic team in the BE, but there are players with skills. So why has Jordan installed a offense more suited to athletic, one-on-one players who can score in multiple ways? It only makes these players look worse than they are because Jordan's offense isn't suited to them or their strengths. Wouldn't you rather see McD and Jorgensen and even Tucker coming off a double screen for a shot rather than dribbling around trying to create their own shot late in a shot clock, which they suck at doing in the process?

Good chance this team may finish with a losing record. I will always maintain there was enough player talent on this team to have finished in the top half of a "down" Big East this year, scratched out 20+ wins, and been a Tournament team. My fear is that moving forward, even if you get "solid" recruits, will that be enough? Nothing is going to change, coach or staff, IMO. Certainly not anytime soon. Can a take charge point guard on the court overcome the poor coaching? You are correct, recruiting shooters is necessary, but arguably there are some pretty decent shooters on this roster. We just don't run an offense that allows them to maximize those spot up shooting skills. Jordan isn't inexperienced or green. 20+ years in D-1. Third year as a head coach. To date, all he's shown is that he is a lousy, underachieving head coach and has displayed zero ability or instincts to install or make changes or adjustments, in-game, game-to-game, or season-to-season. While shooters and a 1 and a 5 are needed, number one on my recruiting list for next season would be an assistance head coach who takes over game strategy and prep and game day management.

3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,464
    Some of you will see this as criticism, others will recognize discussion. Some of you will recognize this board has become soft if you've been around since the Yuku days. Others will have no idea what I'm talking about.

Nate's total PER has declined each year since his sophomore year:

2016-17 = 22.5
    2017-18 = 17.5
    2018-19 = 15.5

Nate's total minutes have increased each year since his sophomore year. That means the more he plays, the more some of us recognize obvious deficiencies. It also makes us grow tired of other posters who cherry pick scenarios that highlight his superb performance.

When I read posts like "he has done things metrically that no other player ever has at BU", it makes me laugh out loud. These people sincerely have no clue who has played for BU in the last 20+ years.

In a month we'll finally have a 4 star starting center. I hope Nate gets an amazing job & changes the world by addressing whatever engineering problem he chooses to find the missing answer to that our society needs. Go Dawgs.

willisbrown likes this.
  4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,035
    Just want to recognize the hilarity of you using a metric to make a point about not trusting metrics.

bwesson15, bumba, pappyball and 2 others like this.
  5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Also, the decrease in efficiency as usage increases is a natural progression.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

pappyball likes this.
  6. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $807
    Joey needs to take another big leap forward like he did this year. Hopefully, Golden can be a real player next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nze play some small ball 5. Hopefully, he has some offensive skill to round out his tough, physical play.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $807
    LaVall is a system coach. I have to keep reminding myself of this. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. The jury is still out. I had hoped our guys would develop into the system more during last offseason than they have. I have also had to lower my expectations for next year. I think we will be better than this year (one would hope), but not nearly as good as I thought. I also have to keep reminding myself that other coaches, who are currently getting good recruits and winning (see Wojo exhibit A), had terrible, by our standards, beginnings. How well LaVall recruits, coaches and develops to his system remains to be seen. It has had a disappointing Soph year, barring some late season/BET streak. What is clear, however, is that the system has been defined. I hope we get to a point where we see this as a good thing, soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  8. BUBlue

BUBlue Member

Money:
    $50
    Joey will probably improve, Golden will probably make a positive impact, we might get a shooting point guard, but unless Butler can recruit Kentucky type players, we will continue to be a bottom half of the league team, unless the leadership from the coaching staff improves considerably! The kids can’t continue to play selfish and confused basketball and win on a consistent basis! Talent can’t overcome lack of direction from the coaches!

9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,640
    I see similarities between Marquette over the prior 3-4 years to Butler now. Marquette couldn't guard a closed door but now they are good defensively. Likewise their offense is elite. They changed because their talent took a gigantic leap.

I have to see who we recruit going forward. We can't continue to recruit three star players and hope to close the gap against schools that recruit multiple 4 & 5 stars.

After this year we will have how many four star or better players? Three? One will be a freshman and the other two have only had basically this year to build on.

10. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,270
    It does get worse. There are schools with fans who think Final Fours and national championships are a birthright.

But it is amazing how expectations of this program have changed so drastically over the last decade.

bumba likes this.
  11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,464
    I hate metrics. You know that most Hinkle lol. I use them daily at work to manipulate whatever I want people to think.

12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,464
    (cough) Bloomington (cough)

bwesson15 and NCJon like this.
  13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,464
    There is no correlation to what you are suggesting. Michael Jordan has the highest PER in NBA history and averaged 38 minutes a game. I hate metrics lol.

14. dawgy style

dawgy style Member

Money:
    $52
    Amen!! Nate just really isn’t good. Like you said I hope he gets hired and makes millions. For people to think he’s good or is helping when he’s on the floor is crazy. Brunk and Golden are 10x better. Nate should triple major and call it quits from basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. dawgy style

dawgy style Member

Money:
    $52
    Huh? So your saying we need to recruit Kentucky type players( all 5 stars) be real man. First off butler isn’t going to get all 5 stars and 2nd we don’t need them to be on top of big east. That’s crazy to think that

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $962
    I think you have to be wary of scouting sites and overall rankings like fans have mentioned. Look at the class Holt was bringing in. Wasn't it supposed to be the best in school history/ one of the best in the BE?
    AT solid defender, dribbler, no offense. Heart of the team.
    CD has grown as a defender, mostly dependable. Solid rebounder, no offense.
    JGB stuck on the bench. Jury still out.
    Kyle Young. Watched some OSU. Looks very similar to CD and seems to be at the same level of player. Rebounding, defense and some offense.

So, I don't think anyone should trust ratings anymore or highlights. Just my opinion. Hopefully, those players will continue to work on offense this summer.

17. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,697
    I think he was referring to the Tobacco road teams down here...

bumba likes this.
  18. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,184
    The benefit is that the player was involved in the decision. The player chose to not redshirt. He knew he wanted to be at Butler for 4 years as a STUDENT and play on the basketball team. Yes, he's a scholarship athlete. But he wants to graduate and start his career. That's the benefit.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,184
    We are all tired of hearing your opinion. Feel free to stop posting.

Hinkle and estar20dawg like this.
  20. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,184
    Can you enlighten all of us on the scholarship and sport you had in college?