2018-2019 Season Review

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MasterSplinter, Mar 21, 2019.

1. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $407
    Now that the season is officially over, I wanted to get this thread going before too many people start posting their thoughts on this season in other threads. I grabbed @Dawgedd post from the Bigger Picture thread as an example. Will put in my two cents at some point. Hope ya'll don't mind the housekeeping. Post away! (and please be a bit more original than 'our coaches suck')

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,017
    Our coaches suck rotten eggs?

3. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $407
    Ok, I'll give that a like!

willisbrown likes this.
  4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    Two way players is part of it but to me playing defense is more effort, desire and communications than just about anything. Ditto for rebounding. To not block out time and time again is not because of a lack of talent. Not staying in front of your man with your hands up is not because you lack defensive talent. Not blocking out and letting the shooter follow his shot like McD did last night was not because of talent limitations. Blocking out on free throws every time is not dependent on talent.
    To not know how to shoot a jump shot as a D1 player at a high major program is inexcusable. To not pass with two hands or struggle shooting an uncontested lay up at this level is incomprehensible to me. Dribbling into corners while being double teamed over and over is not a talent question. I just don’t understand lack of effort and lack of fundamentals. To me two way players have that.

2xDawg likes this.
  5. Hank Kimball

Hank Kimball Member

Money:
    $176
    This season was worse than having hemorrhoids and trying to take a BM in the morning after eating two Big Mac’s and drinking a six pack of PBR the night before.

CarlosDanger likes this.
  6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    It was much better than your sense of humor though

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. CarlosDanger

CarlosDanger Member

Money:
    $102
    Idk what was worse having to read all of dawgs2014 moronic posts this season, watching the Butler men’s basketball team, or finding out my boyfriend was cheating on me.

Tough season all around. Go Dawgs

8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Welcome to the board. You’ll fit in shockingly well

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  9. jal8908

jal8908 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,093
    Sorry for the long post, but I took the day off to watch the tourney and have had basketball on the brain all day. The TLDR version is we were really inconsistent this year and had several weaknesses that I think/hope will be improved upon for next year, either by some scheme changes, player development, or incoming talent.

Where I thought we struggled this year:
    1. On court leadership - I think we were missing both the emotional leader and the know your role, hold you accountable leader.
    2. Thompson playing off the ball - He can't/won't (I think it was more won't this year as his form looked much better than last, he just didn't show any confidence) shoot the ball and so if you don't have him play the ball dominant facilitator, he's a pure negative on that end. I think he's actually a good fit for the offense I believe LaVall wants to run with penetration and kick to an open shooter, but he's gotta be the guy with the ball to have a spot out there.
    3. Baldwin playing on the ball - Conversely, I think KB is much better off the ball. I like him cutting to the basket or curling off an off-ball screen, catching on the run, and getting downhill attacking the basket. And if we are going to let him initiate the offense, don't ball screen for him. Space the floor, let him go one on one, and take away the option for an easy double team.
    4. Brunk Pick N Roll Defense - This was painful to watch this year. He's got some physical limitations that will keep him from ever being a great defender, but his reads were not good either. Too many times his hedge slowed his teammate down from recovering more than it did the offensive player. Hopefully an offseason of film study helps him some there.
    5. No answer to athletic perimeter 4's - The Juwan Morgan and Eric Paschall's of the world lit us up because we were either to slow (Nate and Joey) or too small (Sean and Jordan) to effectively guard them
    6. Inconsistency from McDermott, Jorgenson, and Tucker - All 3 of these guys had the ability to take over and be the best guy on the floor, but they also completely no showed at times. Kamar wasn't ready to be a #1, and not having a reliable number 2 made it that much worse.
    7. Lack of pressure D - I really liked the press when we ran it this year trying to scramble to get back into games. Now I'm not advocating 40 minutes of Hell, but a bit more of a consistent look from this would have been nice. Especially with as deep as we were, I think we could have worn other teams down a bit more throughout the year.
    What I'm optimistic about for next season:
    1. Thompson started to get more aggressive and assertive towards the end of the season. I think he could take the next step and really become a top point guard in the conference next year.
    2. When engaged, Jordan Tucker is the player this team desperately needs. I'm hopeful that this year added another dose of humility (it wasn't just getting over-recruited at Duke, at this level you have to play hard and be invested in the game every night out) gets his head where it needs to be and he becomes the player he thinks he is and we all hope he can be.
    3. The newcomers - Battle looks like he could be a legit 3 year starter after a being freshman spark plug off the bench. If some of the reports from practice are accurate about how well he was playing, Hastings could be just the type of guy we were missing this year - long, athletic, and able to physically match up with anyone. Nze hopefully brings that consistent motor and toughness that this team was missing all too often this year. And whatever may or may not happen on the transfer/late period signee market. I think Mulloy probably redshirts, but will be a great teammate and provide that winning mentality.
    4. The Butler SR leap - We didn't see it much this year, but traditionally our seniors always seem to step up and grow in huge ways. That group includes Kamar, Sean, and Henry.
    5. 25 points away from 6 more wins - I'm very confident next year's team will be better than this year's team. And even if they aren't significantly better and just have that little extra something to push them over the hump in some of the close games we lost, we're looking at a 20 win season and top 4 finish in the Big East based on what they did this season.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  10. Hank Kimball

Hank Kimball Member

Money:
    $176
    Hey, can I get your help on this 50,000 word philosophy paper that is due next Thursday? The topic is Descartes philosophy on why Butler basketball sucked this past year.

11. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Member

Money:
    $184
    jal8908. Thanks for adding quality observation and opinion. This is the type of stuff I come to this board for.

12. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $499
    I know a lot of people like to bash to coaching and I get it. However I wanted to look at a couple production issues or shortcomings this season. I get it, player development is on coaches, but also on the players themselves. These points aren't to bash players in any way, but rather to highlight what is important from a player production standpoint for next year based on our current roster, so just focusing on some not-so-obvious points here because the board has already covered a lot. In my opinion...

Joey Brunk averaged 6.1 ppg & 2.4 rpg in 16.8 mpg over the final 17 games of the season, and scored in double figures once during that stretch, while being below average defensively.
    I get it, it's his first year of real action, especially against Big East competition. I also get that he's a fan favorite. However this was his 3rd year of college ball. If he's going to be our face in the paint for the next two years like a lot of people presumed very early in the season, and like I still think he can be, he's gotta be more consistent.
    I think Bryce Golden has a really high ceiling, and the first month of next season may determine whether Joey is "the man in the middle" or just another rotational big. If he can be a stud in the paint, it will go a long way in getting us back on track next year.

Christian David has to show something. I still believe he has great potential, however 6/26 from 3 point range and 39% from the field in year 2 isn't cutting it offensively, obviously. Defensively, he's a great post defender, but he still looks a step slow when guarding wings out on the perimeter. He's likely going to be up for even more minutes next year. We need wings who can drive the ball and draw fouls. And none of Baddley, McDermott, David, or Tucker were able to do that with any consistency this year, which was possibly the biggest part in our lack of success. We need CD to be able to knock 3's down at an acceptable rate, and we need CD and Tucker to drive the ball, bad.

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  13. Hank Kimball

Hank Kimball Member

Money:
    $176
    Just curious, what did you see in Bryce Golden’s play this year that gives you the impression that he has a “really high ceiling?” I don’t think he played enough to draw that conclusion. When he did play, I saw very little in athletic ability that would lead me to believe he is nothing more than another player with a comparable basketball skill set to Brunk. Just my opinion, but neither Golden or Brunk could start for any other team in the BE. Also, I disagree with your take that Christian David is a “great” post defender. It seems like the word great is thrown around and embellished too often when referencing a number of players who are average or good at best. When it comes to basketball, I would never use the word great and Christian David in the same sentence.

jkcdawgs and CarlosDanger like this.
  14. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $537
    Please look at how to play a 1-2-2 zone or (better yet) scrap it. Last night the 1-2-2 was a superhighway down the middle and Robey enjoyed the ride. Covering the corners with a center and leaving the weakside empty was a bad look. Having a gaping hole in the middle was a worse look. If you have to play a zone. consider a 2-3, at least at times. Review the pick and roll defense played by the pros to see how it is done, and watch the film over and over and over and over. If someone misses a block out in practice next season the team runs the stairs, and the offender does two. That might get everyone's attention. Just a couple of closing thoughts on this most frustrating season. Finally, I don't want someone to transfer unless it is their decision. Leaving two or three year friendships and relationships is a big decision and I would prefer we did not speculate on the board on who we would most like to see transfer. JMO. All the players decided they wanted to be Bulldogs, and the coaches invited them. I get the harsh realities, and I have my own thoughts on this, but you will not see them on the board.

Tentozen, TheDawgDub95 and UDDawg like this.
  15. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $499
    Yeah sure if you're asking me to elaborate my opinion. I've watched Joey play since high school, and on the AAU circuit extensively (as have a lot of people I get it) so I have a decent grasp on his game. My point was more that Bryce has a higher ceiling than Joey IMO, because of his ability to not only post up, but face up. Joey is more crafty in the post, undoubtedly, but Bryce is more capable facing up defenders, as well as stepping out for 3's. The rest is simply from what I've heard but Bryce is a quick jumper which helps his rebounding. But of course, you're right, this hasn't been shown in games at this level because of his minutes (still frustrated we couldn't red-shirt him) but glad we'll see more of him next year.

Regarding CD I'm mostly referring to being posted up by other wings, of course he'd be buried against a Big East center, but he led the team in blocks despite playing just 11 mpg. A lot of this is is because he's long, but he's easily the best post defender of our 4 wings, and of course our wings had to defend the post a lot this year because we're undersized, so it's an asset.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  16. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,168
    Forget this year. It's over thankfully. Here's what I'm hoping for this fall:

1 - AT, Kamar, McD & Tucker continue to focus towards becoming elite in conference

2 - Brunk, Golden & David develop their game to a greater level of consistency

3 - Battle, Nze & Hastings are ready to make an instant impact

4 - Baddley & JGB move on to a mid-major where they would be more successful

5 - JMM & 2 high major spring/summer transfers develop during their redshirt year and are ready for 2020 after KB & McD graduate

Hinkle Nation likes this.
  17. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,663
    Christian David is a good, not great, post defender?

18. tedfrye

tedfrye Active Member

Money:
    $169
    Bryce Drew just got fired @ Vanderbilt. Tim Miles might get fired @ Nebraska. Would be good assistants to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. dippper61

dippper61 Member

Money:
    $117
    I like Miles, Drew is nothing special but lets be honest, LJ should be one of their assistants.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

tedfrye likes this.
  20. Hank Kimball

Hank Kimball Member

Money:
    $176
    I know there are a lot of people on this board that are enamored with Christian David. I'm not one of them. I just don't see it. Maybe I will be proven wrong next season. I think that he is mediocre at best defensively. He may be one of the better defenders on the team, but that's not saying much. When you look at the majority of our players defensive performance over the past season, the bar was set pretty low for David from a comparison standpoint. Also, he is an offensive liability. He lacks confidence and is too timid when the ball is put into his hands. It's almost like he would prefer if his teammates would not pass him the ball. JMO.