2018-2019 Season Review

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MasterSplinter, Mar 21, 2019.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Exactly. The value of analytics at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Daddysmack likes this.
  2. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,779
    What was the basis for your first sentence? I inferred you were equating fouls shots to shot attempts. Maybe not. Even if not, yours is inherently incorrect, as an attempt that goes in where someone is fouled is still an attempt. So trading four free throws for two shot attempts is not always the case. What if it’s a one-and-one and they miss the first? What if the non foul call resulted in a turnover without a shot going up?

I get you want to be right and poke holes in everyone’s examples. Please be aware that there are a number of assumptions in that original statement of yours that are either missing or inferred or incorrect. I don’t want to be, or even like being, confrontational on a message board. Just pointing out that strong arming folks on this board to believe what you say is absolute and correct because statistics tell us so is old.

Can we all agree that the team sucked at getting fouls called and, that the potential existed to get a few more points on the board in some games that could have been a win? The game is not played on a computer, but in real life. Predictive analytics are great, but they need to be tempered.

willisbrown likes this.
  3. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    I addressed every single instance that you mentioned as a caveat previously in this thread.

I was equating free throw rate to both adjusted offensive efficiency and adjusted net efficiency.

I was then explaining why they don’t correlate by showing that over thousands and thousands of instances, the value of free throws does not heavily outweigh the value of normal possessions in order to demonstrate that lack of free throw attempts is a quality, but not a flaw of our offense.

There are no such things as predictive analytics in binary events. Analytics just help you make more informed decision and make better sense of information and what you are seeing and also help you see things you may have otherwise missed. There’s no guarantees, and frequently the right decision will have the wrong outcome, but that doesn’t make it the wrong decision.

Daddysmack likes this.
  4. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $440
    Just a theory. It's a fact the Butler had a few players limited by injury when camp started over the summer. It's also a fact that Butler had a transfer ineligible for competition 1st semester. As a parent of a former Bulldog I know what goes on in the camps and preseason and how important learning tendencies and movement of your court teammates are as no two skill sets are identical. Pre-conference was pretty smooth and so many were anticipating the explosion when the the team achieved full strength. Unfortunately the "Dawgs" didn't explode, they imploded! What if LJ and staff started preseason concentrating on available players for conference play and honing that skill set sacrificing out of conference? Basketball EQ, reactions, muscle memory, etc. would have been garnered in preseason rather than "on the job" training while worrying about a history exam, science lab or psych final. The pieces are somewhat in place once the recruiting class hits campus in 94 days. The hardest job LJ and staff will have is getting everyone to buy into the system and understand as well as accept their individual and team roles. Which player will step forward in a leadership role on the court and in the locker room? Who's willing to get into someone's face for the good of the "Team"? If you think LJ has an upcoming problem, what's Boeheim going to do trying to handle his son Buddy, former Bulldog recruit Howard Washington Jr. and his incoming recruit the nations leading scorer Joe Girard!!!

5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,640
    I’ve been tied up all day and am stunned to see the argument over foul shots has been the focus all day. Don’t you all have a job or life?

bwesson15, bumba, Tentozen and 3 others like this.
  6. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $347
    This is exactly where I was sitting before this conversation started, and there are a ton of variables. However
    Nope

NCJon and DawgsMD like this.
  7. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    *checks number of Insane Dawg posts*

Daddysmack and Insane Dawg like this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,640
    I don’t have a job and this is my life. I was taken away from this sight today and my life was temporarily ruined.

9. Hank Kimball

Hank Kimball Active Member

Money:
    $210
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  10. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $480
  11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,464
    No doubt, why don't we just make two extra three pointers per game if the data suggests offense is that easy?

12. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,976
  13. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $962
    This is interesting

Attached Files:

DawgPoundMac, bwesson15 and mwall787 like this.
  14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,640
    Wonder who is the third.

15. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,237
    Butler seniors Paul Jorgensen and Nate Fowler will be part of the BIG EAST entry in the championship, alongside St. John's Marvin Clark and Providence's Isaiah Jackson.

bwesson15 and kmacker69 like this.
  16. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,297
    Not sure where else to put this...so...uhhh... Butler at Baylor in the BE-B12 Challenge.

BulldogsFTW and cornette33 like this.
  17. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,464
    Yeah that's a beatdown waiting to happen. Ugh.

willisbrown likes this.
  18. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    Could be ugly.

19. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,081
    opening line:
    Butler +9.5