2018 Bracketology

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MilkSteak, Apr 5, 2017.

1. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,784
  2. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,141
    Detroit (the city not the team). Gross.

3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,472
  4. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,161
  5. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $371
    Maryland losing at the last second to Michigan might have hurt us ever so slightly. Would love Maryland to be a top 50 team even with the injuries.

6. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    I would hope we can remember the perspective that many of us shared prior to the season, that BU was a borderline NCAA team. This team's has performed inconsistently but was that unexpected? It seems with every, win expectations rise only to drop after every disappointing loss.

7. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,184
    Good point Seadawg. We all were discussing this...and it helps to remind us of this.

8. RegionTownDawg

RegionTownDawg Member

Money:
    $69
    If, like me, you think that 9-9 in the BE would most likely punch a ticket, then we remain on track for that. Every game we can win on the road gives us a "pass" for a loss at home, which makes the @DePaul and @St. John's games very important. I'd prefer we take care of business in every home game we have left, but X, Creighton, Providence will all be very tough games, and the rest aren't gimmes either.

9. Dawg4ever

Dawg4ever Active Member

Money:
    $194
    Were about a loss away from being first 4 out

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

10. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    I think 8-10 will get us in if we sweep DePaul, St. John's, and Gtown. That would be zero bad L's with some good non-con wins, hopefully the only W against #1 Nova, and some solid conference wins. That should be enough of a resume from the 2nd best conference.

Tentozen likes this.
  11. Trumpforpresident2020

Trumpforpresident2020 Active Member

We will definitely get in based on the fact that we have the sixth toughest schedule in the nation we have beaten Ohio State, Nova, Marquette, Utah, Portland State, and Furman. Also our RPI is looking pretty good sitting in the twenties. My question is how we will do when we get in? Our defense has to be a lot better. I could be wrong guys but I tend to think that every time Wideman is able to produce on the offensive end, we win. Meaning if he scores more than ten a game we haven't lost. We should get him more touches early and see if that gets our outside game going.

OldSchoolDawg1983 likes this.
  12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,043
    8-10 is definitely not “definitely” in. There’d be some chance depending on who we beat and lost to, but it’d require winning at least a game in the BET, which we’ve proven is not something to count on, and even then we could still miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

troggy and OldSchoolDawg1983 like this.
  13. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,294
    If you look at most of our losses on Kenpom, they’re when widemans scoring under 10. Haven’t lost a game where he’s been in double digits.

14. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,194
    yeah, I won't feel good unless we go 9-9. And potentially still nervous if we go 9-9.

Take last year--Xavier finished 9-9 and as the 7th seed in the BE tourney, meaning they had to play the 7/10 game. Obviously they took care of business in that game (and beat us at the #2 seed). Point being, if we go 9-9, end up with the 7th seed, and fall to the 10 seed in the BE tourney, I will be sweating bullets on selection Sunday. On the other hand, if 9-9 gets us the 6th seed and we lose to the 3 seed in our 1st game, I would be more confident.

While 9-9 is a good benchmark, I think it will be important to get that 6th, as opposed to 7th, seed.

OldSchoolDawg1983 likes this.
  15. OldSchoolDawg1983

OldSchoolDawg1983 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $345
    Good observations. My only question is about cause and effect. Does TW score because KM, KB, PJ, and SMcD are hitting their perimeter shots, thus drawing the defense out and giving TW open looks? Or is TW the catalyst for the offense? I suspect the former, which goes back to what we all have observed.......a high correlation between our perimeter shooting % and probability of winning......which is the case with any team.

Re: NCAA, 9-9 BE conference finish + 1 BE tourney win seems the minimum price of entry.........unless we can get a couple more wins vs. Villanova, Xavier, Creighton, or Seton Hall. As of now, Ohio St. looks like only high quality non-con win, vs. 3 double-digit losses to power conference opponents. Thankfully, no bad losses to date, but Saturday's meeting at DePaul worries me.

bmradio99 likes this.
  16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,043
    Yeah, regarding Xavier: they went 9-9 and won a couple games in the BET and still almost missed (they were an 11 seed). Thinking about it that way, 8-10 doesn’t get it done without at least two big east tourney wins and even then it could be a miss.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  17. Dawg4ever

Dawg4ever Active Member

Money:
    $194
    Just remember the BET is a road game

18. noltar

noltar Active Member

Money:
    $286
    Utah was looking like a decent non-con win (albeit at home) until they started getting smoked recently in PAC12 play. Hopefully they turn it around enough to at least be a borderline top 50 RPI win.

19. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,650
    Utah wasn't very good then

20. RPEye

RPEye Member

Money:
    $50
    I keep asserting the same boring thing about this team: if we get 6 made threes a game from McD and PJ combined everything else opens up for everyone else — KM can’t be doubled, Kamar has more open drives, Wideman has more space. This team will transform into a truly dangerous team if McD and PJ can start shooting effectively on the road. Otherwise, we need to 50+ from KM and Kamar and some luck to beat any team in the league.

DawgFan and OldSchoolDawg1983 like this.