2018 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by UDDawg, Mar 11, 2017.

1. xufan02

xufan02 Active Member

Money:
    $149
    I don't think all Xavier fans are delusional enough to think that Sean Miller is a viable candidate given his FBI involvement. However, he did reach out to Mack and encouraged him to stay at Xavier. That sentiment shows Miller could have some perceived interest in the roll.

Xavier doesn't appear to be hiring a search firm. This is a key item thus far in eliminating Miller from the search. You need a search firm to be the intermediary for coaches that are already employed. Also they vet the candidates and investigate scandals and such. This Miller business is a non starter for me.

The other candidate that is getting some run is current Winthrop coach Pat Kelsey. Pat is a former Mack assistant and Xavier grad. He also coached at Wake Forest under Skip Prosser.

Kelsey has some influential boosters that like him, however he has some red flags. He left Xavier as the associate head coach and walked away from the game back in 2012. Rumor was he was stressed and needed a break and time with his family. Unfortunately that cannot happen again as the head coach of Xavier. Butler fans know that just as well with Brandon Miller. Also, Kelsey accepted the Umass job back in 2017, only to back out the day of the press conference to go back to Winthrop. His behavior and decision making has to be questioned. I can't see how he is a viable candidate.

At the end of the day Travis Steele is the guy. It will be interesting to see Bulter fans reaction to an alum on a Xavier sideline.

2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,899
    You really don't need a search firm for coaches that are already employed. Maybe to talk to someone at a major university, but Butler hired Jordan without a search firm. Waste of money too if you know who you're going after and who you have relationships with.

Steele's an alumni, but considering he spent zero time with Butler's basketball program, I don't think many will have a reaction to it at all. I personally think it's a no-brainer to hire him, but we'll see what happens.

3. FlyForaWeitzGuy

FlyForaWeitzGuy Active Member

Money:
    $167
    When you hire a search firm, it exempts you from being required to disclose information about your search. It may be freedom of information act, I’m not sure exactly. I’m certainly not a legal expert, but I think it’s a practice aimed at preventing allegations of discriminatory policies. That’s the primary benefit and why you see so many hired even schools stay in house.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $555
    That's not applicable for private schools though. But if we reached out to candidates at public schools (miller) it could come up on their end.

NCJon likes this.
  5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,983
    Depends on the state, but most FOIA laws wouldn’t apply to private universities. Search firms are still useful for third party verifications/background checks, but they’re less important overall for private schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,351
    The only thing I can think of for Xavier not wanting to hire Steele is that he'd have to find his own staff as opposed to bringing one with him (Kelsey). Still don't think it's enough not to, though.
    I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd *love* to see Xavier crash and burn, but he's the right guy, and if they don't hire Steele, someone else will. (I think he'd do one year on Mack's staff at Louisville before taking a MAC/Valley/Colonial-type job.)

7. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,306

Former Creighton long time coaching staff member

8. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,660
    Tough assignment, hope they give him some time to turn that one around.

9. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,842
    Drake was a one hit wonder under Keno Davis maybe 10 seasons ago & that’s been about it.

10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,306
  11. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,046
    Xavier went with Steele

12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,983
    Disappointed because this was the best route they could go... was hoping they’d hire someone random who’d crash and burn. But who knows if Steele is more than a recruiter and can actually coach. Hopefully his coaching prowess is comparable to his half brother John Groce.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,306
    He's worked for the enemy for years. Why would anything change?

14. xfan1989

Money:
    $555
    Loved the Steele hire. I think he's really going to double down in the midwest when hiring assistants as well. I'm surprised how quickly we did it but very pleased with our AD. Even though he was always the leader I thought they'd take at least a week just for appearances alone.

Definitely has energized the fan base. Everyone wants someone who will stick. But that's not important to me honestly. I'd love steele to stick around, but I want him to have all the opportunities to go to a Louisville, Arizona, OSU etc...he gets those in the next 8-9 years that means he's either maintained our current trajectory or increased it.

15. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    Good hire/promotion. Hope he changes the culture to be more representative of good sportsmanship.

TheOnlyNameLeft likes this.
  16. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,839
    Me too. What a massive downgrade! Will be interesting to see if he can recruit after next year....

17. xfan1989

Money:
    $555
    I'll save this for Old Takes Exposed in a few years :)

18. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,627
  19. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,742
    So Brad’s entire staff is going to get hired, forcing him into early retirement from the NBA where IU fans will promptly clamor for the head of Archie Miller and to hire Brad.

Cold takes?

20. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    I'm pretty certain Brad's name will come up every time a "blue blood" job is available for the next 20 years. This, of course, despite the fact that he's probably the best coach in the NBA right now and coaches for one of the game's preeminent franchises alongside one of the better GMs.

But ignore all that! Just think of what a legend he would be in Lawrence, KS...

NateDog, TheOnlyNameLeft and NCJon like this.