2018 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by UDDawg, Mar 11, 2017.

1. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,306
  2. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,046
    Detroit has contacted Slick Rick (along with a ton of others) about their coaching vacancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  3. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,176
    Detroit may actually be an attractive destination for Slick Rick. With Windsor, Ontario right across the river and with those great clubs and hot strippers, Slick Rick all might be all over this one. I can see him sitting front row and leading the "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy!" chants.

FRENCH DAWG, huss587 and SpartanDawgs like this.
  4. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,729
    Wow! Agree Windsor would be a real temptation for Bickie, I've been there several times and it is well worth the trip.

5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,873
    This could be a grease fire that has the potential to lead to international conflict...:p

6. mwall787

Money:
    $2,046
    Detroit says Slick Rick report is inaccurate

Tybuhoops likes this.
  7. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,729
    "Fake News"

8. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,873
    It is a way to get fan feedback and public opinion...

9. mwall787

Money:
    $2,046

John Beilein interviewed for Detroit Pistons job.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  10. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,550
  11. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    Do not contact LJ!

12. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    The Pistons are casting a wide net, hence the Beilein and Kenny Smith interviews. The Jet, quite literally, has zero coaching experience.

I think they'd be silly to hire Beilein; but then again, we are talking about the Pistons here, so your guess is as good as mine.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  13. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,899
    I wouldn't be surprised if Beilein were willing to take the interview, but the Pistons, especially as the roster is currently constructed, is a place where your coaching career goes to end. They interviewed Kenny Smith because of his relationship with Stanley Johnson. The Pistons have never had much stability with their GM and head coach concurrently. Stan Van Gundy's 4 seasons is the second longest streak of stability at both positions (and he was doing both) in the history of the Pistons franchise. It seems like a terrible idea to have your GM and Coaching Search being conducted simultaneously. I would think the head coach would like input on who was going to be picking his players and the GM would probably like input on who would be coaching them.

That being said, it seems as though current assistant Luke Yaklich would be a popular pick to take over Michigan basketball if that were to happen.

14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,983
    Michigan's got one of the biggest athletic budgets in the country. They'll have all kinds of options. They're not going to hire a guy who's 32-38 in two years as a head coach (though they should!). The Michigan faithful would lose their minds. Heck, OSU nation was lukewarm (at best) on Holt and he'd won 4 Tournament games in the last three years.

I hope the Pistons hire Belein and Michigan gets a good coach that can keep them occupied for the next decade. This could work out perfectly (though I highly doubt Belein takes the job).

peeps112 and butlerdude05 like this.
  15. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member

Money:
    $770
    I don't like this. AD's copy what is hot. Stevens has shined since leaving Butler, and Holt is taking OSU into the upper echelon of basketball. As much as LJ is a work in progress, considering all the variables, last year was a successful campaign.
    Should this come to fruition, I hope LJ rebukes their efforts at the door.

16. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,550
    Yeah I will be nervous. But I would be more nervous each subsequent year. Presumably, belein will leave within 5 or so years—this is our best shot for LaVall to stay should Michigan be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $232
    Yeah if he goes to the Pistons, Michigan WILL contact LJ 100%. LJ then could possibly do the same thing to butler as he did to Milwaukee. I doubt he would go but as we know, money talks.

18. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,742
    If it all transpires, then my (potentially cold) take is he stays. Butler is now in a relevant league with high-dollar money due to tourney shares and a sweet TV deal. Holt wasn’t a Butler guy and did not have the blood, sweat and tears in the program that Vall does. I actually see only two reasons for him leaving “early”, both of which are highly unlikely - he’s forced out, or a true blueblood comes knocking.

19. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,899
    I do hope this helps the staff get a bump in pay. While LaVall hasn't shown that he can maintain or build a program over a period of time, I do think he's shown the ability both on the recruiting trail and on the sidelines that shouldn't be an issue.

20. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    Buckle up!

bumba likes this.