2018 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by UDDawg, Mar 11, 2017.

1. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17
    Yeah, hopefully this wasn't directed towards me. I would never wish for bad health on someone even if its an X or Michigan player/coach. But now the conversation is derailed.

2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,340
  3. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $2,493
    I'm sure the UWM fans are probably even more ticked off at their athletic administration (which is similar to DePaul's), but I also think that both Jordan and Otzelberger were good choices, but if they wanted to get someone who would be more long for the job, they definitely should have picked Otzelberger. He's from Milwaukee, went to Wisconsin Whitewater and coached high school ball in Wisconsin before starting his assistant coaching career.

Otzelberger definitely landed in a better spot than UWM though. SDSU basically hosts the conference tournament every year, which is a huge advantage for them.

4. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,457
    We are good, Spartan Dawg. We have had plenty of good banter on this forum. It was DEFINITELY not directed at you.

5. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,545
    From a "quality of the program standpoint," you are correct that SDSU is superior to UWM. However, SDSU pays the head coach peanuts. That's why the previous HC, Scott Nagy, left to go to Wright State, even though he had Daum on his team and was poised to go to the NCAA tourney again. Otzelberger would probably be making ~twice as much right now if he had gone to UWM, even though SDSU has better teams and history.

6. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,544
  7. bumba

Money:
    $5,340
  8. Irishdawg

Money:
    $2,493
    Bet he wishes he would've taken the Ohio State job.

9. NCJon

NCJon Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,473
    I doubt he's too worried about it. He was in the middle of a fully guaranteed, 5-year, $25 million contract. He'll only be unemployed next season if he wants to be.

bumba likes this.
  10. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,819
    He has since been said he wants to stay in the NBA and doesn't really have any real love to come back to college coaching

11. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,596
    Had reservations about posting this, but feel it's newsworthy enough. The One Shining Podcast is done in part by Mark Titus, former Brownsburg player and OSU walk-on who sort of started the trend of walk-ons getting famous for being (relative) scrubs.

12. Irishdawg

Money:
    $2,493
    I'm glad the way things worked out, regardless whether or not this is true. Honestly I would have been kind of disappointed if Thad wound up being the guy, even though I think he's a good coach.

bumba likes this.
  13. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,183
    I would have loved the irony of Butler and O$U swapping coaches, but I think Thad is a known commodity and while he's at a better place on his career arc, we just don't know where Lavall will end up. And the one caveat I had about Thad taking over would have been the knock recently on his recruiting efforts. Butler will always need an ace recruiter to remain relevant and I'm hoping that Lavall will become that. So far, so good.

bumba likes this.
  14. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,441
    Yeah, as good as we know Thad is, it wouldn’t/couldn’t be a long term thing and I don’t think that’s what was in the best interest of the program. I don’t think Lavall is perfect, but so far I think it’s hard to be real unhappy with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

15. bumba

Money:
    $5,340

Dakich fans already giving him static about his man-crush on Alford. UCLA got crushed by Cincy yesterday. They've got O$U in the near future.

16. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,690
    Alford was awful on defense when he played and he is an awful defensive coach . Wonder how long before he is fired?

17. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,061
    Alford's UCLA teams have ranked in the Top 40 of AdjD a grand total of 1 time, in 2013-14. And that was with Howland's leftovers. 3 of his 6 teams at New Mexico actually were in the Top 30, and he had 2 more at Iowa that were in the Top 40. Seems like he's fallen for the Showtime mentality that the Lakers had for years. 4 of his 6 teams in Westwood have been in the Top 40 for offense.

18. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17
    Alford’s team also is dealing with the injury bug. He’s a good recruiter. But Not a good coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops