2018 NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by Jared Grubbs, Mar 12, 2018.

1. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,674
    I want to hate Nova, but can't even dislike them... They are all class, went back and shook hands and it wasn't an in your face thing, but they were hugging and consoling the Michigan players...

ButlerHomer likes this.
  2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,889
    And celebrating off the court with the students and fans

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $23
    Glad I posted this - I've literally been wrong with every prediction and I wanted Nova to win. In reality I doubt this had anything to do with Nova winning, but I will happily be wrong if it gets a Big East team a title.

4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,924
    And this is what... the 3rd or 4th year in a row that Butler doesn’t make an appearance in One Shining Moment.

5. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $23
    Oh no they did - they showed Vince Edwards blocking Kamar's layup at the end of the Purdue game.

6. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,380
    He'll be lucky to make a roster. Maybe on a two-way contract, I guess.

7. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,889
    They had wideman covering his face with a towel I think too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,815
    Serious question:

What’s a better three year stretch than what Nova has done the last three seasons (championship —> number one overall seed —> championship)?

I’m guessing there’s been a stretch that good? But I can’t think of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,194
    Kentucky 96-98
    2 golds, 1 silver

Hinkle likes this.
  10. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $490
    The term blue blood has always gotten thrown around a ton this tournament and I just have some honest questions because I keep hearing how Nova isn't a blue blood by all of the "experts" so I just want to straighten out the definition.

What makes some programs "blue bloods" and others who are consistently just as good, if not better, not blue bloods? Here's what I've come up with.
    You're a "blue blood" if you fit under all 3 of the following criteria.

1. You won multiple national titles in the 1950's-early 90's. (25-65 years ago)
    2. You have a power 5 FBS football team (creating a large athletic budget) but your basketball team consistently out-preforms your football team (which usually isn't hard, and thus makes you a "basketball school").
    3. Because of this enlarged athletic budget, you can afford to pay your coaching staff the most, more than non "blue-blood" schools.

Those are the criteria, am I wrong? Although a lot of "blue bloods" certainly have modern basketball success, a lot of them also don't.
    My point being a blue blood, by definition, doesn't have any correlation with recent or modern basketball success. Am I correct?

11. Tark43

Tark43 Active Member

Money:
    $346
    Congratulations to Villanova, and especially Novachap. Class program, class guy. Quite a run!

shoeevv and novachap like this.
  12. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,924
    Eh... didn’t UCLA win like 8 in a row?

13. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $706
    Irishdawg likes this.
  14. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,071
    Well I guess Kelan and Tyler can tell their grandkids they were one of only 4 teams to beat the 2018 NCAA champs, and they had the biggest winning margin - 8 points. Xavier also deserves a tip of the cap for
    winning the Big East outright - that is an amazing feat given Nova's talent. If I am Fox Sports, I would have to be pretty happy with my Big East TV deal right about now.

15. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,066
    "Blue blood" is a subjective term, but your definition wouldn't cover UConn, which I think most basketball people consider a blue blood at this point.

The only so-called "blue blood" that hasn't had modern success is Indiana.

I like to think of "blue bloods" as programs that have had sustained success at the highest level under multiple coaches. Of course, my definition is flawed, too, because it would arguably exclude Duke. But Villanova would be included.

16. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,289
    Speaking of blue bloods...

#60, NCJon and jal8908 like this.
  17. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,399
    NateDog- I was thinking about this yesterday and googled " college basketball blue blood" to get a definition. Couldn't find one. I like yours. There seems to be a concensus that the blue bloods are UCLA, Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Syracuse and Indiana. UCONN was on the verge but then their program fell apart. The old Georgetown was. Michigan State and Arizona are near misses. I'd say Indiana dropped out years ago. So yes I like your definition.

18. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,815
    There were 20-25 teams in those tournaments...

It’s still impressive and maybe more so than winning 2 of 3, but for the sake of comparing modern feats I sort of don’t care what happened before the tournament and sport were in something resembling their modern form (mid 80s).

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $509
    They've really elevated the entire Big East- we were the best offensive conference in the country this year, and I truly think that's everyone just chasing Nova and trying to beat them. You could probably argue the entire country is chasing them one way or another.

Without injuries probably no way they lose 4 BE games and whose to say they don't go on a Kansas type run of regular season domination. With Quiverly and Swider coming in I don't see them slowing down. Minus a mass exodus this year...heck if I'm spellman/Divincenzo I think you have to test the waters...always shocked more kids don't do this. I think Q & Naji for X should do this, and Kamar for Butler. None of them are ready, but why not get free advice and some experience?

Insane Dawg and NCJon like this.
  20. novachap

novachap Active Member

Money:
    $197
    Thanks! Been a blast. Despite the loss, one of my personal highlights this year was my first trip to Hinkle. waiting for the BigXII and BIG championship shirts to come out!

Go BE!

Tark43, NCJon, #60 and 1 other person like this.