2018 Peach Jam

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by Jared Grubbs, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $14,032
    I am currently on my way down to South Carolina to watch Peach Jam. For those unfamiliar with the event, this is the finals for the Nike EYBL and is annually one of the top amateur events in the country. It’s a live period, so pretty much every division 1 team in the country will have at least one coach in attendance. Many will have multiple coaches. Butler commits Khalif Battle and John Michael Mulloy should be there. I’ll post my observations on them and everyone else I happen to watch right here.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,231
    Awesome. Looking forward to the updates.

3. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
    I don’t know as of right now, but I’ll ask when I get to their game this morning. They start off at 9.

I wasn’t there for this, but this is an epic ending to one of yesterday’s games:

bumba and butlernut like this.
  4. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,991
    Love the comment about making the pass under the basket with a second left. That sounds very familiar...

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

estar20dawg likes this.
  5. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
    I love this AOT team. Their energy level is 2 notches above the Playaz. It’s a blowout here. 21 point game. It just recently got out of hand, midway through the 2nd half. I’m moving over to watch the 2020 Prospects team while I’ve got a chance. Beon Riley and Jeron Artest.

As far as Battle, he didn’t put up good numbers prior to me leaving but it was because he shot poorly. 1-6 from 3. We know he’s a top shooter so I’m not concerned with that.

My initial thoughts can really be summed up like this. I loved him with the ball, I didn’t without the ball, or away from the ball on defense. He just lacks energy away from the ball. That will have to change.

With the ball I loved how efficient he was with his moves. He spent very little time with the ball. Whenever he caught it he was instantly shooting, attacking the rim, or moving the ball. I love that approach. There was no wasted dribbling around the perimeter or holding the ball waiting for other guys to do something. It was get it and go. He made good decisions with the ball for the most part and even though his shot was off he did take good shots. He’s not a guy that needs to dominate the ball to score, and that’s a great thing.

6. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
    I didn’t get to see Artest in much. He did drain a 3 pointer, his only shot while I was there I think. Beon Riley was in more at the time and I really like him. He’s built like a football player and has some ball skills. I didn’t see any long range shooting but I saw a good amount of playmaking. 5 minutes isn’t enough to get any type of real eval but he made a strong first impression.

7. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
    There’s been a lot of debate on the board about who is better, Franklin or Battle. I don’t think there is any doubt Battle has the higher ceiling. He’s the better athlete and a more explosive scorer. Both are good shooters but Khalif has the quicker shot and elevates higher which will enable him to get more looks. Franklin is a much more fundamental player who is by far the better defender right now and had much better anticipation. I’d like to say that once Battle gets to a college setting where he has to pick up his energy level if he wants to see the floor he will become the superior player, but it doesn’t always work that way. I’m certainly thrilled about the potential he possesses.

Mad_Dawg 48 and BHayden like this.
  8. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
  9. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
    First time I’ve seen either of these teams and I’m trying to figure out who everyone is and who they might be looking at. I don’t have any rosters for the 16U teams to go off of. I think # 5 for Takeover is Jeremy Roach, who appears to be the best player on the floor. Darius Maddox, #4 for Durant, is making key plays in this 2nd half comeback for them. I like #13 for Takeover, I’m trying to find out who he is right now.

Edit: #13 is Dimingus Stevens. He hit a 3 as I was typing that and the fans yelled out his first name.

10. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
    Myles Stute is #22 for Takeover. Putting this here for my own future reference as much as anything. He seems like one to watch.

11. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
    Chris Moore of Woodz just put a kid on a poster. That was one of the better 16U dunks I’ve seen this summer.

#10 for BBE is Bryce Catchings. He has the highest motor I’ve seen today, and has knocked down a few shots to go with it. I don’t see a profile for him anywhere, so he’s apparently not high profile. He’s making an impact here though.

12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
    Davonte Davis of Woodz has also been impressive at the point. He’s made some really sharp passes to get shooters some great looks. He’s finding guys that I don’t even see from the stands.

13. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
    I was planning on switching to watch Phenom at the half, but I’m enjoying his game too much. Love vs Davis at the point is too much fun. Both of these players are exciting to watch for different reasons. Davis might be the best passer I’ve seen this spring/summer.

14. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
    Crazy finish here. With 30 or so seconds left and Woodz down 4 Caleb London buried a 3 for them and then Chris Moore got a steal and dunk to give them the lead and eventually the win with 20 seconds left. Fantastic finish. Love missed a pull up mid range jumper at the buzzer that would have tied it. I’m still a huge fan of Love but he was quiet down the stretch.

15. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
  16. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Active Member

Money:
    $119
    Terrific insights as usual Jared...quick question for you. I know you are probably planning to catch as much as you can of players holding Butler offers or players with know Butler interest, but just for the pure spectacle, do you have any plans to seek out a game with any of the truly elite guys (James Wiseman, Vernon Carey, Cole Anthony, Tyrese Maxey, etc...)? It would be fun to get some perspective into how good these kids truly are in person.

Irishdawg likes this.
  17. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
    I don’t get a ton of opportunities, so I tend to focus on guys Butler has shown interest in. During live periods it’s easy because I just go where the coaches are. I naturally come across some of those guys anyways, as they play in the same games or in courts immediately adjacent to where I’m at.

18. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
    Butler staff has watched this Nightrydas team a couple of times now. Dudley Blackwell jumps out immediately as being impressive. I was surprised to see he only has 1 offer on 247 sports and is barely in the top 100. Hes simply bigger, faster, stronger than this Meanstreets team and is doing what he wants.

The guards on this Meanstreets team are so good though. They are up early despite appearing to be at a physical disadvantage. They are executing better. Beard has just missed 2 poster dunks. He got FTs on one, probably should have in the other. Destin Whitacker knocked down a few 3s for them early, Uhlis has made several plays as a point guard. I’m pretty sure DJ Steward has hit a shot or two as well. They are up 22-14 early.

19. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
    Blackwell has jumped up and knocked down 2 triples that I actually thought were bad shots. He may have been trying to draw fouls on both (he’s already been fouled on 3s twice). Impressive shots whatever the intent was.

20. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
    Beard finally got his dunk he’s been searching for.

Blackwell got stripped on back to back possessions. Not too long ago he missed a 3 pointer so bad it almost banked in. I’m thinking those ridiculous 3s earlier may have been lucky. I still like his game though, and his length and athleticism on defense has caused Beard and others trouble.

Ahron Ulis has impressed me more today than he did in May. I still don’t think he’s hit a jump shot, but his floaters have been on point, and he’s doing a terrific job creating offense for others.