2018 Peach Jam

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by Jared Grubbs, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $13,977
    I am currently on my way down to South Carolina to watch Peach Jam. For those unfamiliar with the event, this is the finals for the Nike EYBL and is annually one of the top amateur events in the country. It’s a live period, so pretty much every division 1 team in the country will have at least one coach in attendance. Many will have multiple coaches. Butler commits Khalif Battle and John Michael Mulloy should be there. I’ll post my observations on them and everyone else I happen to watch right here.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,156
    Awesome. Looking forward to the updates.

3. dawgnation

dawgnation Member

Money:
    $102
    Any update as to how Khalif did first game? Saw they beat BBE 64-60 in OT

4. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,977
    I don’t know as of right now, but I’ll ask when I get to their game this morning. They start off at 9.

I wasn’t there for this, but this is an epic ending to one of yesterday’s games:

bumba and butlernut like this.
  5. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,964
    Love the comment about making the pass under the basket with a second left. That sounds very familiar...

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

estar20dawg likes this.
  6. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,977
    Mad_Dawg 48 and SpartanDawgs like this.
  7. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,977
    First touch of the day Battle comes off a screen and elevates to bury a 3. So smooth. Next possession he shot fakes and gets to the FT line and tries to jump up and shoot it and gets fouled. For some reason they say he was passing in what was a horrible call. Should have been 2 FTs. That same possession he beats his man into the lane for a floater that bounces on the rim 3 tines before falling off. Next possession he feeds the post. So far he’s making something happen every time he touches the ball.

8. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,977
    Battle got lost on defense 2 straight possessions to give up an easy mid range jumper and a layup. He’s clearly athletic and can make plays, but he’s too flat footed away from the ball on both ends of the court this morning.

9. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,977
    The good: Battle just had an impressive finish in transition at the rim where he showed excellent elevation and body control.

The bad: he only had that opportunity because he was once again the last player back across half court and his team happened to get a steal. He’s often spotting up in the corner on offense, and when the shot goes up he stays standing there. He should either be crashing the boards or rotating back on defense. Instead he leaves himself in terrible position for when the ball goes the other way.

10. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,977
    I had him for 7 points in the first half. 3-6 maybe? He had another nice finish in transition for his 3rd basket. Both were attacking to his left, finishing with his right hand in traffic. I wouldn’t necessarily say he is quick, but he is very explosive off the ground. The elevation on his shot makes it seem like he can get it off whenever he wants. I’m not sure how great he really is at dribble penetration, but the defense has to play tight on him to respect that jumper and that has given him opportunities to get into the paint.

11. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,977
    I love this AOT team. Their energy level is 2 notches above the Playaz. It’s a blowout here. 21 point game. It just recently got out of hand, midway through the 2nd half. I’m moving over to watch the 2020 Prospects team while I’ve got a chance. Beon Riley and Jeron Artest.

As far as Battle, he didn’t put up good numbers prior to me leaving but it was because he shot poorly. 1-6 from 3. We know he’s a top shooter so I’m not concerned with that.

My initial thoughts can really be summed up like this. I loved him with the ball, I didn’t without the ball, or away from the ball on defense. He just lacks energy away from the ball. That will have to change.

With the ball I loved how efficient he was with his moves. He spent very little time with the ball. Whenever he caught it he was instantly shooting, attacking the rim, or moving the ball. I love that approach. There was no wasted dribbling around the perimeter or holding the ball waiting for other guys to do something. It was get it and go. He made good decisions with the ball for the most part and even though his shot was off he did take good shots. He’s not a guy that needs to dominate the ball to score, and that’s a great thing.

12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,977
    I didn’t get to see Artest in much. He did drain a 3 pointer, his only shot while I was there I think. Beon Riley was in more at the time and I really like him. He’s built like a football player and has some ball skills. I didn’t see any long range shooting but I saw a good amount of playmaking. 5 minutes isn’t enough to get any type of real eval but he made a strong first impression.

13. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,977
    Battle had 21 points on 6-9 shooting (3-3 3 pt, 6-6 FT) in yesterday’s win. I wasn’t down here yet for that.

14. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,977
    I’m watching Franklin and Meanstreets right now. I glanced through all of the courts and don’t see any of the coaches, so I’m not sure where they are at. There’s only a few hundred here so I easily could have missed them. Xavier is here, along with over 50 others.

15. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,977
    There’s been a lot of debate on the board about who is better, Franklin or Battle. I don’t think there is any doubt Battle has the higher ceiling. He’s the better athlete and a more explosive scorer. Both are good shooters but Khalif has the quicker shot and elevates higher which will enable him to get more looks. Franklin is a much more fundamental player who is by far the better defender right now and had much better anticipation. I’d like to say that once Battle gets to a college setting where he has to pick up his energy level if he wants to see the floor he will become the superior player, but it doesn’t always work that way. I’m certainly thrilled about the potential he possesses.

Mad_Dawg 48 and BHayden like this.
  16. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,977
  17. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,977
    First time I’ve seen either of these teams and I’m trying to figure out who everyone is and who they might be looking at. I don’t have any rosters for the 16U teams to go off of. I think # 5 for Takeover is Jeremy Roach, who appears to be the best player on the floor. Darius Maddox, #4 for Durant, is making key plays in this 2nd half comeback for them. I like #13 for Takeover, I’m trying to find out who he is right now.

Edit: #13 is Dimingus Stevens. He hit a 3 as I was typing that and the fans yelled out his first name.

18. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,977
    Myles Stute is #22 for Takeover. Putting this here for my own future reference as much as anything. He seems like one to watch.

19. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,977
    I watched Mulloy for a few minutes while waiting for Caleb Love’s game to start. I’ve seen Mulloy so much now I don’t have much else to say.

Kampen is here for Love. First impression here is absolute stud. He looks like one of those guards that can just get anywhere on the court he wants, like everyone else is moving in slow motion. Seems to handle the ball like it’s an extension of his hand.

I also like #10 for Brad Beal Elite. Trying to find out who that is.

BHayden likes this.
  20. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $13,977
    Yeah, Caleb Love can probably go anywhere in the country he wants. I don’t need to see him for more than 5 minutes to know that. He’s a high energy guy too, on both ends. I get the feeling he is just one of those kids that always wins, too.

BHayden likes this.