2018 Peach Jam

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by Jared Grubbs, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,353
    No idea. Adidas and Under Armour have approved me every time. EYBL is the only place I ever get denied. I love the games, but hate the way the EYBL is run. I couldn’t get into a game earlier because it was at capacity, and they wouldn’t let me in even as a dozen other people walked out. They charge $50 for an all week pass, but then you can’t even get into the building if it’s reached capacity, so you are just out of luck if you don’t get there in time. No refunds. They sell more tickets than they have space for here. It’s a money grab.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    Both Battle and Mulloy have been eliminated, so I’ll watch the 16U games this morning/afternoon and then probably be done. I don’t know if I want to fight the crazy crowds for just one 17U game at 6 this evening.

I’m watching Nightrydas vs MEBO 16U this morning. Not many coaches out yet. Dudley Blackwell from Florida continues to be a major standout. He’s ranked 95th but has to be moving up after the summer is over. He’s just got that combination of athleticism and tenaciousness you can’t teach.

MEBO has several intriguing players. I talked about Daeshun Ruffin scoring over 30 yesterday. I didn’t realize he is 2021 until someone mentioned it this morning. He might be a 5 Star if he grows to 6 foot. He’s a big time producer regardless. He doesn’t play like he’s 5’9”. Fearless.

Treylan Smith looks like he should be on high major radars. He’s an athletic guard (basically everyone in this game is) who is doing a little bit of everything. I love how strong and under control his play is. He’s handled the ball well, knocked down shots, and made good decisions on both ends of the floor.

#11 for Nightrydas [Antwan Burnett] keeps knocking in shots as I’m typing this. He’s had a lot of success shooting from deep as well as slashing and finishing above the rim. I really need to find out who he is so I can go back and update this.

#15 for MEBO [Keondre Montgomery] was a big scorer in the first half. He did most of his damage attacking the rim and pulling up midrange. He took a couple of DEEP 3s and the opposing coach got on the defense for letting him have them, so even though he missed Im assuming he’s a top shooter. He’s a skinny guard but has decent length and plays very physical attacking the lane.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  3. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    I can confirm #15 [Keondre Montgomery] for MEBO can shoot. He’s a very nice scorer. He’s gone right at Blackwell the past few possessions and scored, both from 3 and a nice baseline floater.

#11 for Nightrydas is Antwan Burnett of Montgomery. Looks like he might be a star WR too, as the recruiting info I’m pulling up is football instead of basketball. He looks like a high major basketball player though if he chooses that route (no pun intended).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  4. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    #15 for MEBO is Keondre Montgomery. Top 150 on 247.

https://247sports.com/Player/Keondre-Montgomery-46057442

6’6” feels like a stretch, but I absolutely agrees he’s a top 150 player. He’s got room to fill out and get stronger and is only going to be more impressive when he does. I think he should ranked even higher based on a game and a half observation (admittedly too small to really make that call).

5. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    Sorry, I missed this post earlier. You hear this all the time, and I think it probably applies at the lesser levels, but I 100% disagree that AAU stereotypes apply to these shoe circuits. A lot of these kids care more about their EYBL season than they do their high school season (keep in mind HS basketball isn’t as big in most states as it is in Indiana). These games here this week are absolutely intense. There’s a lot on the line for everyone involved. It’s a ton of fun to watch.

6. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    Johnson is definitely getting the better of Beard and the whole Meanstreets team. That’s not meant to be a knock on Tyler. Johnson is a future NBA player. Beard has tried to do a little too much against him though and has gotten rejected at the rim a few times. Phenom are up 10 shortly before half.

DJ Steward is carrying Meanstreets right now. He can score at all 3 levels. He might really be a handful once he gets stronger. Right now he’s got that Kam Woods build and gets pushed around way too much. There’s no denying he can put the ball in the basket. The more I watch him the more I like him.

I think Steward and Beard are the only high majors for Meanstreets. I could see Ulis potentially being one, but he needs to make huge strides with his shot. Whitaker is a great shooter, but I don’t think he does enough outside of that.

7. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    Patrick Baldwin Jr is playing well for Phenom. He’s a bouncy 6’8” PF. Looks like he’s got high major offers. Beard just elevated over him to tip in a rebound though. He crashes the boards hard from the 3 point line. When he gets that running start he can get over anyone for rebounds.

8. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    Meanstreets have cut the lead to 1 to start the 2nd half and can tie it if Beard completes the 3 point play. He’s got a pair of 3s to go with it this half.

This Meanstreets team is extremely well coached. They’ve started doubling and trapping Johnson and have created scramble situations and Phenom is turning it over and taking bad shots.

Polk just swished a contested pull up 3 moving to his left.

9. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    Beekman with 2 straight blow bys here down the stretch to keep Phenom in front. He converted one in traffic and got fouled on the other. It’s a 1 point game with 3 minutes left. Beekman just did it again but blew the layup.

After a horrid first half Beard has exploded here in the 2nd. He’s probably close to 15 in the half. Tyler isn’t really a PG, but he’s done a good job here of creating for teammates as well.

10. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    Baldwin Jr just made a big time shot after Meanstreets took the lead. He used a spin move to reject a ball screen after the defender jumped it and took himself right into a contested pull up 3. Next level playmaking.

11. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    Phenom pulls out a Thriller. That was a fun game with a pair of talented teams. The length of Phenom around the rim on both ends was just too much in the end.

12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    Kampen has stayed to watch 17U City Rocks vs Team Takeover. Notable 2020 names playing up include Jeremy Roach, Hunter Dickinson, and Terrence Williams for Takeover and Andre Jackson and Symir Torrence for City Rocks.

13. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    If you don’t like AAU basketball you haven’t been to Peach Jam. Especially bracket play. This is incredible basketball.

14. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    Isaiah Stewart is the best Big I’ve seen this weekend. He’s a man down low. I even saw him step out and bury a 3 pointer in this one.

He’s battling 7’2” 2020 Hunter Dickinson, who has been great himself. At first glance he looks like one of those tall, lanky white dudes who you think might trip over his own feet running up the court. That couldn’t be further from the truth those. He can play.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  15. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    CP3 vs Las Vegas Prospects 16U consolation bracket. CP3 has a lightning fast point guard that I immediately love. I’m assuming it is Cam Hayes, who has been getting lots of high major interest. I don’t see any offers yet. Looks like he dropped 27 in a game yesterday.

16. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    My interest in Beon Riley continues to grow. He’s a true combo guard. Extremely strong and plays off the ball but has displayed the vision and passing of a point guard. One of those players that just had a nose for the ball. Every lose ball goes to him.

17. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    Obinna Anyanwu for the Prospects is a nice looking player. I’m not really sure if he’s a wing or a PF, but he has some serious bounce. If he’s got enough perimeter play to his game he’s probably a Top 100 guys. Right now he’s slashing and finishing strong at the rim. Kind of reminds me of a young Oladipo.

18. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    #11 for CP3 is having a strong game to keep them in it. I think it’s l Evan Johnson.

Jeron Artest just hit a pull up 3 right in front of his defender. And now comes down and knocks in another. In the games I’ve seen, including the first half of this one, he’s played terrible. His shot looked beautiful those last 2 possessions though.

19. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    Seton Hall was impressed. They offered yesterday.

20. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    Just realized he is 2021 playing up a year. Now I really like him.