2018 Spiece Run-N-Slam

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by jkcdawgs, May 3, 2018.

1. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $749
    Just thought I'd go ahead and get this thread started for Jared since the tourney starts tomorrow night.

Who all is making the trip up to Ft. Wayne, and what clubs/recruits are you all interested in checking out? I'll be at the event all day Saturday. Don't be afraid to say hi! I'll be the guy in all Butler gear ;)

2. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    I’m leaving after work today to go up there. I’ll only make a few games today, but then should see games all day Saturday and Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Ster8462

Ster8462 Member

Money:
    $184
    I will be there all day tomorrow. Plans tonight will prevent me from attending tonight.

4. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,198
    Who are our major targets at this event? Will be interesting to see if '19 targets are here and which ones our coaches watch the most.

Do we know if coaching staff will be there (I assume they will)?

5. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    Coaching staff cannot attend. It’s not an eval period for D1

6. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    I just got here, and after getting over the shock of having to pay $50 for a media packet with rosters, I’ve sat down to watch 16U EG10.

First player that jumps out at me is Chris Grubbs (no relation!) of HSE. He’s 6’7” with an extremely high motor. He has attacked the rim via the dribble and the offensive glass. Kind of reminds me of Jackson Davis a little in that his energy is a little misplaced at times but that’s ok at a young age.

Kiyron Powell has a Kam Woods build right now and looks like a major shot blocker. He’s listed at 6’9”. I’m not sure how skilled he is yet but he can clearly rebound and block shots. He’s probably a high major player on those skills alone. He just tried a simple 1 dribble jump hook post move from a step outside the block as a type this. He missed it but he looked natural attempting it.

Ronald Johnson is the lone player playing up a grade (2021). I haven’t seen him shoot yet but he appears to be a very good ball handler. He’s gotten into the lane and dished off multiple times. Appears to be the most under control player on the court. He hasn’t picked up a stat yet but I already like him. Park Tudor kid.

cornette33 likes this.
  7. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    As far as targets, I honestly don’t know. Since I didn’t make it out last year I’ve spent most of my time catching up on 2019 guys. I haven’t seen the 2020 class at all. I’ll find out some names while I’m here, but I’m just going to start by watching the top teams and seeing who I like. I think that’s a better strategy even when I do have names to watch, because they end up changing as the summer goes on anyways.

Dawgedd likes this.
  8. MasonHAsher

MasonHAsher Member

Money:
    $63
    Hey guys,
    Long time lurker, minimal poster. I’ll be up in Fort Wayne all Saturday and Sunday. I am a contributor to Prep Hoops so I will be seeing a ton of different teams. I usually tweet out some thoughts too (same username as this) and will definitely be seeing some Butler targets as well. At the end of the day I’ll attempt to link my tweets in here, but could forget as I’m going to this and will actually be working during it.

Love the site, looking forward to meeting some of you, especially Jared whom I’ve corresponded with on Twitter a few times about JMM and Neese (whom I know really well.)

Thanks guys!

9. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    Going back to EG10, Butler has shown interest in Ronald Johnson and Charlie Peterson. Peterson is a 6’8” PF who had a nice post move in the first game (not much I know, but I only saw the last 6-7 minutes). Chris Grubbs and Kiyron Powell that I mentioned above are recent additions to the team so the coach wasn’t sure if Butler has interest in them yet or not.

cornette33 likes this.
  10. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    Ahron Ulis, brother of Tyler Ulis, plays for Meanstreets. He’s much bigger than his brother, although he doesn’t appear to be as good. He’s penetrated well and scored a little bit, but his jump shot looks broken.

11. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    I think I’m going to become a fan of Mike Saunders. He’s extremely quick with the ball. He’s getting anywhere he wants on the floor and is making good decisions on whether to pass or try and convert at the rim.

DJ Steward of Meanstreets is ranked 34th on Rivals it looks like. He has played fairly well. I think I like his teammate Beard better, but Steward has made several passes that I’m not sure how he even knew where the guy was. I kind of thought they were lucky but maybe he’s really that good.

12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    I’m watching Mac Irvin Fire 16U who has Amari Bailey playing up 2 years. Ranked as high as #1 in the country (because 8th grades rankings are meaningful, right?). He’s ridiculously impressive. Butler will never be relevant there so I don’t feel the need to say more.

They’ve got Martice Mitchell, who is a nice looking skinny 6’9” PF. Another intriguing Kam Woods type who is rebounding and playing defense.

This game is getting out of hand early so I’m going to head out. Bailey is just dominating. He could probably be playing at the 17U level, which is insane.

I’ll be back in the morning to watch more. Send me a message if you are coming out!

BHayden likes this.
  13. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,241
    @Jared Grubbs if you get a chance can you check out DJ Hughes, the frosh who played varsity for LN this season?

Side note: is Okoro playing? He’s the reason Illini fans didn’t really give a damn about Golden, but he just officially announced he’s reclassifying 2018 despite playing in the EYBL in April.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  14. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    Definitely. Do you happen to know what team he is on?

Edit: He has run with Indiana Elite in the past. I have scanned through every one of their team rosters at the 15U and 16U age group and don't see him listed.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  15. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    I’m trying to focus on C2K vs Meanstreets but I keep finding myself watching Saunders. He just blew by a guy and completed the layup plus a foul. He did just turn it over when he got in trouble driving too far baseline with nowhere to go with the ball.

I didnt see much from Zeb Jackson in the first half. He’s got extremely good length for the PG position. He seems built a little similar to Baldwin. His handles are a little bit loose but he is extremely quick with them. He’s had a few crossovers than nearly tripped defenders up, although he didn’t end up going anywhere with it. Only took 1 shot and missed it.

Meanstreets looks twice as talented as C2K but C2K is playing very good team basketball and is up by 3 at half.

16. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    Mo Njie of C2K is doing some serious work around the rim defensively and on the glass. Tyler Beard is solidifying himself as one of the best players I’ve seen so far. He had back to back “And 1s” a few minutes ago, one of them against the shot blocker Njie. Ulis, Whitaker, Steward, and Beard is a pretty impressive backcourt for Meanstreets.

Jackson just got to the rim and finished with a foul and then knocked down a 3 pointer. Now he pulled out another killer crossover and is at the FT line. He’s got some wasted movement in his moves, but they are so quick he gets away with it. If he can tighten things up he will be a top 150 player, if he isn’t already. He just got to the rim again. I’m glad Butler is showing interest here.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  17. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    I just asked one of the parents of those Meanstreets guards if Butler was recruiting their son. They said no, and asked me where Butler is...

18. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    So much for out of state recruiting assuming those folks were not from Indiana

19. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    He will no doubt have a lot more offers soon. He probably finished with close to 20 points. He dominated in the 2nd half. I would absolutely be ok if Butler extended an offer early there.

Steward was pretty good, and absolutely looked like a high major player. I didn’t see the hype of a Top 50 guy though. I liked Jackson better. I even liked Beard better for Meanstreets. As I said though, all 4 of those Meanstreet guard are solid.

C2K ended up winning by about 15. Matt Allocco and Jaret Griffith were a few other guards that stood out for them. Neither are near the level of Jackson though. VonCameron Davis was good too. Probably not high major level but worth mentioning.

20. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    I’m watching Spiece vs Illinois Wolves (17U). Keenon Cole is scoring all over Trayce Jackson Davis early. 10 points for him I think. Wolves up 21-14. Mulloy had a simple back to the basket post move he converted.