2018 Spiece Run-N-Slam

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by jkcdawgs, May 3, 2018.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,949
    No problem, I appreciate everyone here who makes it possible for me to do this. I feel pretty confident that I should be able to travel and watch at least one live period in July somewhere, although I haven’t decided where yet. There were a lot more donations that came in last weekend, and people said they want me to keep following the coaches around and they liked knowing who the staff was watching. I could probably get to either Peach Jam or the Adidas Finals. I need to watch Battle more so where he ends up going might be a big factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    He will no doubt continue to improve, but I just think a lot of people (not necessarily you) need to adjust their expectations about who he is. If anyone is hoping he becomes a guy you can dump it into down low and let him work they are setting themselves up for disappointment. Again, it’s not to say he isn’t capable of that, but no one should bank on a player turning a weakness into a strength.

He has an extremely unique skillset and I think it’s going to be a weapon Jordan can use. Whether that’s as a starter that averages 30 minutes a game or a guy off the bench to play matchups with Im not going to try and predict. I think he’s going to help Butler in some way at some point though.

3. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    Back to the actual basketball in the 16U championship. Meanstreets vs Indiana Elite. DJ Steward and D’Andre Davis marched up. Anthony Leal against Tyler Beard. Destin Whitaker against Tre Coleman.

Whitaker with a couple of 3s early. His shot is so smooth. Beard went at Leal once and got a bucket, and Leal answered attacking him right back to get 4 points of his own. Davis is winning the battle against Steward early and, as usual, isn’t shy about letting him know it.

4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,636
    I wonder if LJ is focusing on a more up tempo perimeter offensive game strategy and thus not necessarily having a traditional five with back-to -basket skills? If that's the case then kids like Mulloy, Battle, Golden, and Hastings are going to thrive.

Dawgedd likes this.
  5. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    I haven’t talked to the coaches about it, but it’s a reasonable conclusion to come to. All of those kids Butler has signed are capable of pushing the tempo and can stretch the floor and shoot the 3. That’s the way basketball is going now. Those offenses tend to be the most efficient. If you’ve got a future NBA guy you can dump it into in the post then that’s great. Outside of those elite players post touches just aren’t all that efficient. It’s better to just have the lane clear and space the floor for shooters and cutters.

Tybuhoops and Dawgedd like this.
  6. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    Meanstreets have stormed back here a few minutes before halftime to erase an early IE lead. Steward got to the rim for a nice bucket and then threaded the needle a few possessions later to a cutter at the rim who wasn’t really open. Now he knocks down a 3. He’s enjoying not having Davis on him during this stretch.

7. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    Leal’s Mom is streaming the game on her twitter account. You can play through replays there if you want. A little over a minute in on this one you see Leal catch and attack the rim to get an “And 1” call.

8. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    Davis curled off a screen and hit and long 2, then hit another set 3. I didn’t think he was a shooter coming in because his Adidas stats show only 0-1 from 3. He’s lighting the nets up today like he’s been doing it for years. I’m extremely impressed.

9. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    And now D’Andre Davis just squares up, looks the defender in the face, and drills it over him Kelan Martin style.

10. zvillehaze

zvillehaze New Member

Money:
    $6
    Saw him play several times over the last couple years. Tough kid who uses his quickness and strength against taller players. Competed well against Gillis in the semi-state this year. Could be a very good mid-major player, but is also an outstanding football player, so not sure which direction he'll go.

11. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    Steward with a left handed drive to the rim, finishing with his right hand. He seems to strongly favor going to that right hand around the rim. I’m not sure he’s comfortable finishing left handed.

Leal with 5 straight points to answer, including an old fashioned 3 point play. He continues to be productive. He’s not really flashy and his 3 point release looks a little mechanical, but he has absolutely been one of the best scorers of the tournament.

12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    Leal penetrates left and just missed a tough left handed layup into the body of a defender, but gets his rebound and puts it back in. He’s got 7 points in OT now.

13. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    Anthony Leal with the game winning rejection at the buzzer. Meanstreets got to the rim (PF Sincere Callwood I think) and looked to have another game winner and Leal came flying it to deny it. Excellent finish.

#60 likes this.
  14. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    I was told Coach Meyer has been in to watch open gym at Lawrence Central. That would be for either D'Andre Davis and/or Nijel Pack.

15. DarthHoltmann

DarthHoltmann Member

Money:
    $80
    If you were the staff what players would you be offering that you saw?

16. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,002
    Hopefully Mulloy or Golden can become a Mo Wagner type player. Michigan made the final game with no center.

shoeevv and cornette33 like this.
  17. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,084
    Villanova won the title without the traditional center. Spellman is a PF/Stretch 4/5 really.

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  18. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,524
    And two others that could be somewhat considered PFs as well?

19. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,084
    Pascall could be a PF/stretch 4 whose the other Bridges?

20. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,524
    With his length, I would say so at the college level. All of Nova's "bigs" gave them tons of flexibility.