2018 Spiece Run-N-Slam

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by jkcdawgs, May 3, 2018.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,353
    I was this close to making a ranking of the 2020 players I saw. I actually started it and then stopped because I found it too difficult on such a small sample size and it didn’t feel fair. I actually got a phone call from an upset parent about what I posted/didn’t post, so that kind of solidified my thinking that I’d better not do a ranking.

That said, I’ll try and answer the question, although I’m going to set my own criteria for it. Most of these guys I don’t have a large enough sample size to assess whether they deserve an offer. And it’s really early still, so I’d expect the coaching staff to be conservative at this point.

But, if I had to decide right now, based only on what I saw this weekend, whether or not I was ever going to offer the players I watched here are the 2020 guys I would offer. These are not in any order. This also is solely based on basketball factors, and doesn’t consider grades, character, etc.

Tyler Beard
    Anthony Leal
    D’Andre Davis
    Mike Saunders
    DJ Steward
    Jaden Ivey
    Zeb Jackson
    Mabor Majak
    Destin Whitaker

I hope I’m not forgetting anyone I watched. I do not feel confident about that list at all. It’s such a small sample size and they still have 2 years of high school basketball left. A few of them I might be too aggressive with, but since I set the criteria of offering now or never that’s what I’m going with.

The real takeaway from this list is those are the players that I would have extremely high interest in and would be looking more at if I were the staff. There are certainly others I would have interest in, but those are my top right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    Here are highlights of 2019 Drew Lowder of Indy Heat. I mentioned him in a post. I think he would be worth looking at if the staff wants a 2019 PG. Very crafty with a jump shot.

BHayden likes this.
  3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,233
    Completely agree. But I spent the last three days in Vegas and was too lazy to continue my post to make the Nova point. :)

estar20dawg likes this.
  4. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $9,233
    Kid looks like a stud. He can definitely finish in the lane at the rim.

5. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,666
    Jared, an upset parent called you for what you said on a message board? Yeesh.

6. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    Yes. I’m not sure what his goal was. I actually took it as a compliment. I didn’t realize my opinion was relevant enough for someone to get upset over it. I was flattered he thought so.

7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    The model most fans use to evaluate centers has been obsolete in high level basketball for a couple years now. “Bangers” don’t really have a place in the current era. Its pick and rolls, pick and pop and rim running. It sounds like Mulloy should be solid at the first two minimally. To elaborate on that, it seems like Mulloy is going to be a potentially very nice modern era Center for us. If he isn’t a gifted post player, I don’t really care. I’m excited for him, but I’m pretty sure a lot of this board will hate him for not being Shaquille O’Neal.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Dawgedd and Insane Dawg like this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,374
    Jared Butler offered Tyler Wahl 2019 SF from Minn. was he there?

9. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    No, he was not. I’m determined to get out to see this team though. I don’t know where I’m going in July yet. I’d love to go to the Adidas event in New York or California in July. But I also need to get out to see Battle, who is on the Nike circuit.

10. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    More of Drew Lowder, although I’m actually posting this for the last play. Look who gets him the basket. Mulloy gets the rebound off the block shot, pushes it up 2 dribbles past half court, and hits Lowder for an open 3. He made plays like that all weekend long on the fast break. Nothing eye popping, but how many guys are you going to find who can defend centers and consistently be the one pushing the ball in transition? That versatility is what is going to make him successful.

godogs91 likes this.
  11. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,344
    I think, just as in FIBA, the amount of zone defense is going to increase dramatically. One of the reasons small ball, w a big being able to shoot 3’s, works so well in the nba is the illegal defense rule. Arguably, I still think man is the best defense, but I think the 2-3 is a great strategy for less talented teams. Not every team has 4 nba players like nova.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  12. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,296
    Loved seeing Mulloy push the ball like that. Also not a fan of the arrow thing followed by the stare from Louder. Is that something you see a lot of at these AAU tournaments Jared?

13. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,444
    I reported last year Majak has an unlimited ceiling of potential. Still raw but you can't coach what he has.

14. dawgnation

dawgnation Active Member

Money:
    $187
    Jared,

During the tournament last weekend, JMM matched up against 6’9 Cieran Brayboy right? Plays for Illinois Wolves u17 and has offers from DePaul, Toledo, Milwaukee, Brown, and others. How did JMM do against? Any interesting plays you can remember? Asking because Brayboy lives in my area and am curious.

15. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,374
    Is Mulloy left handed?

16. ButlerBoyz

ButlerBoyz Member

Money:
    $88

Leal made a lot of 3's against New Albany in Regionals. He was the only kid who could make a shot for South to begin the game. He can tickle the twine but idk about his athleticism. He still has plenty of time but just my initial impressions.

17. bicknob

bicknob Member

Money:
    $69
  18. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    That was the 2nd game I saw, first of Mulloys. I don’t specifically remember Brayboy. Mulloy has a drive and dunk in that one, but I’m not sure who it was against.

19. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,353
    That was a huge personal run down the stretch that won them the game. Celebrations like the arrow or 3 goggles or whatever it is in big moments are pretty typical. The video angle makes it looks like the stare and celebration was directed at an opponent. If it was, that wouldn’t be normal. It would have definitely been a technical if the official thought that. I’m guessing it was just an unfortunate angle that made it look that way.

20. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $9,233
    Where’s the event in NYC?