2019-20 Schedule

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by NCJon, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,121
    Brunk, gone,JGB,gone, Neese, gone, Young, gone all Holtmann recruits and supposedly Butler' top recruiting class ever. McDermott and Fowler were Miller recruits along with
    Martin and Wideman and don't forget Jackson Davis who also left as a transfer. The rest of the roster was recruited by Jordan and Co. Butler has five scholarships over the next
    two years, let's see what happens

butlerguy03 and bumba like this.
  2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,353
    The sky is not falling because we haven't signed a 2020 yet. Kamar was a 2016 and didn't commit until August of 2015. There is an entire summer AAU season to be recruited & we've already had multiple Top 100 kids on campus in the last year.

bwesson15, butlerguy03, NCJon and 2 others like this.
  3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,557
    I thought David was the same year as JGB and Young. If the rest were recruited by LJ I’ll take his over the ones that transferred out including Young. I have very little problem with LJ’s recruits.

4. Red1972

Money:
    $1,121
    David was recruited by Holtmann. Sorry for the omission.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,473
    Never trust anyone with two first names.

6. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $532
    David and Thompson were both recruited by Holtmann, as was Brunk, but Brunk was in the 2016 class, not 17', remember he had a hardship waiver.

Hastings, Golden, Mulloy, Battle and Nze are Jordan's as the roster is constructed right now. Still the minority of the roster.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  7. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,747
    The way people name kids these days, you never really know.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,557
    I’d add Tucker to LJ which gives him six recruits out of 13 scholarships. I think that’s a fairly good effort.

NateDog likes this.
  9. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $534
    And that’s the key point. Tucker is the only one of those six that has seen any real time. Need to at least give him som time to get his recruits in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

NCJon and Insane Dawg like this.
  10. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $263
    That was sort of the point made before. Because of how the roster was put together, that staff had effectively two years to recruit it exclusively. The class will define whatever career he’s going to have.

Literally every program in the Big East should expect a Top 25 class given that scenario.

11. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,491
    LaVall is only capable of effectively coaching "his" recruits? Well that's good to know. I wondered what went wrong. So what we have seen the past two years is LaVall's preferred game approach and style, but just not the players to execute it properly. And it's just been a lack of talent, and not LaVall stubbornly being a one dimensional head coach incapable of adjusting and coaching players not suited to his so-called preferred style. Also good to know that we can probably just forget about the ugly, soft, undisciplined basketball on both ends, under-coached, undeveloped and grossly underachieving, who couldn't rebound, get to the line or play defense, because it was the players, some who were highly touted when recruited, just didn't fit LaVall's game. Guess we have a whole lot to look forward to the next several years with LaVall and his super recruits.

dippper61 likes this.
  12. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $405
    So four of the six kids LJ has recruited we haven't even seen play yet to know how good or how bad they will be.

13. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $405
    I think most coaches are given the benefit of the doubt to get their own recruits in before making final judgement. Marquette was not very good the first few years that Wojo was the coach, but he was able to get his recruits in there to get it turned around. As other people have stated, JayWright's first couple of years at Villanova was not that great. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make comparisons among coaches, just that it's took those coaches a couple of years to get rolling.

bwesson15, Tentozen, Shimmy and 4 others like this.
  14. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $656
    And now we’ve entered the “let’s panic about the recruiting class” period of the off season. Happens literally every year. If we get to the end of the summer and it still looks bleak, I’ll fret with the rest of you. But it’s only April. There is so much time. Relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,473
    I definitely think the negativity has spilled over to the point where things that by itself, no commitments for 2020, isn't a huge deal. But, because of where this program is right now and coming off an awful year, people will pick it apart (I'm guilty of it) because they are looking for anything that may be a negative with their being nothing real positive to speak about right now.

I believe that one good transfer get or the first solid commitment for 2020, perception will start leaning more forward than where it is right now. But it's easy to pick apart damn near anything and be pessimistic. Just where we are unfortunately as a program from the outside looking in. The offer to Brown though last night, even just that gave me a bit of positive thinking. It won't take much but right now we're all down in the dumps.

16. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $656
    I get it. I’ve always been more in the Pollyanna group and you guys are even start to make me pessimistic. But things are just starting to fire up on the free agency period and 2020. Plenty of time. And next season isn’t lost. I really think we’ll be better. The margin or error was slim this year. It wouldn’t have taken much change for this to have been a tourney year. The pieces didn’t fit. I think Thompson and Tucker will improve. Nze will be better at the 5 then Brunk and Fowler were. Baldwin and McDermott will have their best years as seniors. Battle will have a Baldwin like impact as a freshman. David will finally find some offensive confidence and knock down some shots. Add a big who can add some minutes plus an immediately eligible guard who can contribute...we’re not that far away. Too optimistic? Maybe. But it’s not unreasonable either.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. Red1972

Money:
    $1,121
    2020 is a long way off, summer, fall, and next spring. Let's take care of transfers or 2019 grads.

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  18. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,473
    Actually had a discussion last night in regards to Tucker and hoping on him as a huge key for next season if we want to view it positively. That he has the skill set to be the best player on the roster and if he comes even close to his ceiling, we can ride him this coming season into better things than I am expecting right now. But, he has to play. No yanking around, let he and Baldwin play until they fall over. Those to have to excel for this team to have a shot most nights. No holding back.

19. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,035
    Oh god that's a scary thought if we want Tucker making decisions with the ball, anybody have advanced metrics on completed passes by Tucker last year? For every 1 completed was it 3 or 4 thrown away? I've never in my life seen a worse high major player at passing the ball.

20. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,966
    We’ve steered off topic pretty far! It’s about next year’s schedule!

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg and NCJon like this.